Export thread

ZTR opinion, Huslter fastrack SD 60" vs Gravely ZTHD 60"

A

acacia987

mowing 2 acres fairly flat, couple trees. I would like to keep it between these two brands do to dealer proximity. I am going with the 60" deck since i have used my neighbors for quite a while and never had any access issues. If Gravely made a ZTXL with a 60" deck it may be a closer price comparison, but they don't. Below is what i could gather from there published specs.

ZTHD 60 ($5200)
pros over other:
better hydros zt-3100
thicker 10 gauge deck
cast iron spindle housing

Raptor SD 60 ($4500)
Pros over other:
wider front and rear wheels
the hustler has a spring suspension seat

opinions appreciated
Andrew

Vanousb

Vanousb

The gravely ZTHD 60 would be my choice. Almost went with that same mower.

DSepe

I prefer the Gravely because it has a chain hung deck and low end commercial hydros.

A

acacia987

The gravely ZTHD 60 would be my choice. Almost went with that same mower.

Thats where i am leaning. Can you haggle with Gravely dealers on price? online it states no haggle pricing. Not that i want too because i cant stand haggling over price with people.

A

acacia987

I prefer the Gravely because it has a chain hung deck and low end commercial hydros.

good call, i didn't notice the chain hung part at first.

P

pcclipper

You can make them an offer on one. Most will move a little. Gravely dealer here said big sale Labor Day if you can wait. Those are nice mowers.

A

acacia987

You can make them an offer on one. Most will move a little. Gravely dealer here said big sale Labor Day if you can wait. Those are nice mowers.

2 months would be a stretch..but saving some money would be nice. Do these 48 months 0% stick around all year or are the only around sometimes?

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thats where i am leaning. Can you haggle with Gravely dealers on price? online it states no haggle pricing. Not that i want too because i cant stand haggling over price with people.

Your Title states "FasTrak SD" and your details show "Raptor SD"....BIG difference, can you clarify??? The Gravely ZT HD is a much better ZTR overall than the Raptor SD, but if you were comparing the Hustler FasTrak SD you would need to move up to the Gravely base Pro-Turn for an apples-to-apples comparison. As stated earlier, "almost" all dealers(just like a car dealer) will entertain counter offers from potential buyers....but right now(July, middle of Summer) it is a "seller's market", not a "buyer's market" so I doubt that the Gravely dealer will give any more discount than the $5,199 versus the regular MSRP of $5,839. As mentioned....if you can "wait" until this Fall to buy then you will find it to be a "buyer's market" because the dealers will be getting their 2015 model inventory in just after Thanksgiving. I bought my 2012 Gravely 52" Pro-Turn 100 XDZ in mid-September 2012 and I saved over $1,300 off the MSRP plus taxes for a 2013 model. The 48 month 0% financing was available when I bought mine, but FYI...don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the financed price you are paying includes a $200-$300 financing charge that is figured into the price of the mower(otherwise the finance company would go out of business). So, in essence, the ZT HD 60 could be had for easily for $5,000 if you didn't finance. Me, I was fortunate that I was buying my ZTR as a "retirement investment" out of my retirement savings and was going to pay cash for it. The dealer's best offer was $7,300(including taxes) financed and I offered him $6,800 out-the-door cash and he didn't even hesitate to accept my offer. I understand not everyone can "afford" to do that but thought I'd share that tidbit regarding 0% financing. Nothing....I repeat NOTHING is free when it comes to financing:0) Sooooooo, all that being said, you may be able to get the Gravely dealer to "throw in" a mulch kit or a striping kit at the $5,199 price(which does not include taxes) but I doubt he would take even $100 off the no-haggle pricing. Never hurts to ask, but try asking for a "bonus" accessory and see what reaction you get. You won't regret investing in a Gravely....I love mine!!!!

A

acacia987

Your Title states "FasTrak SD" and your details show "Raptor SD"....BIG difference, can you clarify???

Sorry about that, i have been looking at so many mowers over the past 2 weeks my mind is in overload. I meant to put Raptor SD in the title, Is it possible to change that? A side note, i think the ZTHD 60 compares very well with the standard fastrack but at a much cheaper price. Last months financing fee was 50 bucks i believe, which for a 48 month 0% term is not that bad if you don't have the cash on you. Additionally i live an hour away from Delaware so i will be getting it there to cut out taxes.

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

The 0% all these companies are offering "can" be a good deal if you understand the works. I got my Hustler with a military discount, put a grand down and financed the rest. I paid $50 period. The dealer told me that Hustler and him eat the difference with fees because the finance folks are going to get their money indeed. Better they than me!
Even though I have 48 months, Momma will not allow it to go past 12. Hates debt and I lover her for it. :smile:

For only $700 more that Gravely looks like a solid pick.

B

BigUgly

The Gravely dealers will negotiate a little (doesn't hurt to ask what there best price would be). I compared both Hustler & Gravely models and went with the Gravely HD. Best mower I have ever owned and would make the same choice if needed.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Sorry about that, i have been looking at so many mowers over the past 2 weeks my mind is in overload. I meant to put Raptor SD in the title, Is it possible to change that? A side note, i think the ZTHD 60 compares very well with the standard fastrack but at a much cheaper price. Last months financing fee was 50 bucks i believe, which for a 48 month 0% term is not that bad if you don't have the cash on you. Additionally i live an hour away from Delaware so i will be getting it there to cut out taxes.

Not a problem...everybody knows now that you meant Raptor:0)
Yeah, the ZT HD is more comparable to the base Hustler FasTrak than the Raptor series. If you can get 0% financing for $50(and the dealer is absorbing the rest of the fee) that's a great deal. Sounds like you've done your homework....now all you need to do is go get it!!!! I'll go ahead and welcome you to the growing Gravely family on the forums and expect you to post a picture when you get it home(we wanna see it:0)

A

acacia987

Not a problem...everybody knows now that you meant Raptor:0)
Yeah, the ZT HD is more comparable to the base Hustler FasTrak than the Raptor series. If you can get 0% financing for $50(and the dealer is absorbing the rest of the fee) that's a great deal. Sounds like you've done your homework....now all you need to do is go get it!!!! I'll go ahead and welcome you to the growing Gravely family on the forums and expect you to post a picture when you get it home(we wanna see it:0)

Thanks,
ideally i should have it by then end of next week. This was my last stop in the research step. I am really sold on the ZTHD, even at the 5200 price tag. My only apprehension is on the FR730v engine, ideally i want this mower to last me 20 years which equates to about 1000 hrs. Any one have an opinions on the FR making that goal with religious maintenance?

DSepe

Thanks, ideally i should have it by then end of next week. This was my last stop in the research step. I am really sold on the ZTHD, even at the 5200 price tag. My only apprehension is on the FR730v engine, ideally i want this mower to last me 20 years which equates to about 1000 hrs. Any one have an opinions on the FR making that goal with religious maintenance?
I think a well maintained engine engine will last a long time. I'm not familiar with the FR series though.

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

I would think a well maintained Kawasaki FR series can easily last 1000 hrs maybe even double that.

A

acacia987

My expected acres may of went from 2 to 5(complicated story). i may be looking at the proturn 60 with the Briggs commercial turf for $6100 now. i will see what the dealer says in the morning, they seem to be heavy into the Kawasaki so they will probably lean on me to get the prturn60 with the kawa FS730 for $6600 instead. My friend of the family small engine mechanic seems to think that either would be adequate.

djdicetn

djdicetn

My expected acres may of went from 2 to 5(complicated story). i may be looking at the proturn 60 with the Briggs commercial turf for $6100 now. i will see what the dealer says in the morning, they seem to be heavy into the Kawasaki so they will probably lean on me to get the prturn60 with the kawa FS730 for $6600 instead. My friend of the family small engine mechanic seems to think that either would be adequate.

Even though that Briggs is rated at 1hp more than the Kawa, it is 724cc versus 726cc on the Kawa.....and the torque rating(what really matters in regard to ability to cut tall/dense grass) is higher for the Kawa. All things considered, the B & S would be "adequate", but the Kawa would be better and well worth a $500 upgrade.

Carscw

Carscw

I have not looked at the specs on these engines but most of the time the kawi max torque is at a lower RPM then the briggs which makes it have not as much usable torque as the briggs.

IMO it is not worth a extra $500
It is not going to last any longer

A

acacia987

Even though that Briggs is rated at 1hp more than the Kawa, it is 724cc versus 726cc on the Kawa.....and the torque rating(what really matters in regard to ability to cut tall/dense grass) is higher for the Kawa. All things considered, the B & S would be "adequate", but the Kawa would be better and well worth a $500 upgrade.

I know this is lazy of me but does anyone know at the same rpm what torque difference are we talking about here? The kawasaki seems to have 35 ft*lbs at 3600 rpm, still looking for the Briggs. Who ever knows the secret knock to get a torque curve from B&S i am all ears, this is ridiculous.

Ok so it turns out the B&S Commercial turf is rated at 27 ft*lbs at ~3650 rpm, compared to the 35 of the kawasaki. Next question, is the 8ftlb difference noticeable??