ZT1 42 with Kawasaki FR651V

wisepump23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I have a question. I purchased a ZT1 42 with the Kawasaki FR651V yesterday. Is it normal for it to blow blue smoke at startup? After a few seconds it disappears.

richard.nott

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I have a question. I purchased a ZT1 42 with the Kawasaki FR651V yesterday. Is it normal for it to blow blue smoke at startup? After a few seconds it disappears.
if it's gray or light blue probably because you chocked the engine to start if blackish that's oil. assuming it's a new mower.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome Aboard -

Yes, normal. get off the choke as quick as possible, it doesn't need a lot. I use one hand on the ign key & other on choke knob. If not I can get a slight puff too @ cold start up, on my Kawi 651V.

wisepump23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, Thank you for the replies. Okay, that makes sense due to the choke then. I was just surprised given it was quite a bit of blue smoke, especially being brand new. Not even my cub snow blower smokes. Will take a video next time it's used.

Also, I realize this has no hour meter. Do any of you have a recommended maintenance schedule and steps? I'd like to keep it well maintained for longevity.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was just surprised given it was quite a bit of blue smoke, especially being brand new. Not even my cub snow blower smokes. Will take a video next time it's used.

Also, I realize this has no hour meter. Do any of you have a recommended maintenance schedule and steps? I'd like to keep it well maintained for longevity.
Well your rings are not fully run in yet. Also make sure also your oil level is not overfull.

No hour meter, I always do an early oil change. About 10 hours. Then once a year or about 50 hours a season.

Guess you could time a mow, & figure it out from there. I do my oil / filter changes last mow of the season so oil is free from contaminants as it sits.

jearlc

Threads
Well your rings are not fully run in yet. Also make sure also your oil level is not overfull.

No hour meter, I always do an early oil change. About 10 hours. Then once a year or about 50 hours a season.

Guess you could time a mow, & figure it out from there. I do my oil / filter changes last mow of the season so oil is free from contaminants as it sits.
There's an hour meter in the console.

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's an hour meter in the console.
My former Toro 4260 had the hour meter behind the seat on R. side of the cross bar.

Anyhow, that is the recommended service times. If you do NOT have hour meter, (Neighbors' base Toro has no meter.), I would judge bit by timing the mow. Then you can get an idea of what the hours will be close to anyhow.

Last edited: