Zero Turn Toro Timecutter SWX 5050 steering issue (model 74797)

lkharrington

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Zero Turn Toro Timecutter SWX 5050 steering issue (model 74797)
Loss of steering control. I was mowing and got off of mower to raise downspouts. When I got back on to mow I did a u turn on level ground and the mower then lost alot of steering control. Trying to move forward on mower created nice size ruts on left side from rear wheel. Acceleration very sluggish and slow on full throttle. Prior to this happening there were no weird noises. I did not run over anything. Turning to left does not work well, but feels like mower wants to go straight instead. Turning right seems good. Going straight is slow. Going backwards seems ok. I have examined the underneath and everything seems in order. Belts all look in place. Bypass levers in back are in proper position. There is hydraulic fluid in the reservoir so that does not appear to low. Only 34 hours on this mower so fairly new. Only a little over a year old.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being that your unit is only one year old, I recommend you take it back to the dealer for repair under warranty. Sounds to me your belt tensioner is not working properly.

DBJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Loss of steering control. I was mowing and got off of mower to raise downspouts. When I got back on to mow I did a u turn on level ground and the mower then lost alot of steering control. Trying to move forward on mower created nice size ruts on left side from rear wheel. Acceleration very sluggish and slow on full throttle. Prior to this happening there were no weird noises. I did not run over anything. Turning to left does not work well, but feels like mower wants to go straight instead. Turning right seems good. Going straight is slow. Going backwards seems ok. I have examined the underneath and everything seems in order. Belts all look in place. Bypass levers in back are in proper position. There is hydraulic fluid in the reservoir so that does not appear to low. Only 34 hours on this mower so fairly new. Only a little over a year old.

Have 83 HRS on my SWX5050 and again in shop for exact same description of problem. Now out of warranty and concerned about
what this problem will cost me. Thinking will sell after this repair and cut my losses.

Paulnetters

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem with your steering will likely be one of the cables connected to the ‘balancer’ mechanism which adjusts the variable power delivery to the hydraulic motors. It is a very simple repair. The cable is probably jammed in it’s sleeve and the motors receive incorrect amounts of lever move,net. An easy fix, have done it twice on mine and a friends sw.