Zero Turn Mower Rider ZTR: Cutting Under Edges of Rhodi?

Threads
  • / Zero Turn Mower Rider ZTR: Cutting Under Edges of Rhodi?
I'm 70 and my Bucket List ZTR is possible, BUT I'm not sure if it will solve all my mowing problems:
  1. 2/3rds acre is small for a ZTR - practical?
  2. Cutting Under and Close to Trees, Rhododendron, Privet hedges.
  3. ZTR too cumbersome: Complicated, small area w/steep bank, sidewalk, steps
  4. Storage area.
  5. Cost: $3k used is about my limit, cheaper better, am a car guy with garage so can do repairs although I also might just want to pay someone.
I'm thinking I want one with a low deck totally in front of my feet.

Grasshopper only seems to have such models:

QUESTIONS:
While the Front Deck will cut under the Rhodi, what are the downsides of a front deck?
Are there other manufacturers that have Front Decks?
Is Grasshopper a good choice?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hoppers are one of the better brands and because of that are quite expensive so buying a used one for under $ 3000 will be fraught with problems and they are expensive to repair .
With such a small yard the benefits of using a ZTR will be minimal .
OTOH the articulated out fronts from Husqvarna or Stiga should be a better bet if they are available near you .

Threads
Hoppers are one of the better brands and because of that are quite expensive so buying a used one for under $ 3000 will be fraught with problems and they are expensive to repair .
With such a small yard the benefits of using a ZTR will be minimal .
OTOH the articulated out fronts from Husqvarna or Stiga should be a better bet if they are available near you .

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the suggestion - I think you hit the nail on the head and "articulated out fronts" are what will suit me better.

WOW, did not know about Articulated Out Fronts (!) saw the Husqy and went to their website and couldn't find the R220T - need dimensional specs - my 32" Snapper rider (very old) just clears a number of obstacles around my house - I suspect articulateds will be >32"

Nevertheless, watching that Husq turns and yes, I want one! Need to compare dimensional specs of what's out there and of course, how small a diameter can they mow.

TWO OTHER BIG BONUSES:
  • The front deck tilts almost 90* for cleaning and maintenance (this is HUGE)
  • The Husq also have a snow blower for the front (!) (again, this is FOR ME, I can eliminate my snow blower)
After a little more research:
  • The mower is $2700 which is affordable
  • The $1700 snow thrower is single stage and there are complaints regarding many design features (so not for me at that price.)
  • The cut is 41" which will require solutions to cut where my 32" Snapper gets into.
  • Looks good for plunge cutting under stuff - from the side, not optimal but probably as good as the snapper.
  • There is NO information for this model on the manufactuer's web site (!)
RE: Stiga Park 300 85cm 33" cut: Smaller but seem to be no place to buy searching google.com

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might be able to find a used Walker R21.

Threads
You might be able to find a used Walker R21.

Possibly - the Walkers were the ones that impressed me the most - and they are used by lawn maintenance all over my neighborhood.

R21 looks like it would do the "under" cutting, but the min deck is 42" and the drive wheel track is almost as wide. That width is an issue as well as the width and overall length of the unit. I've been thinking of all the places the 32" Snapper can get into including surface roots and short steep banks.

The articulateds look closer to what might work for me and one of the narrow Stigas are 33" but I'd never expect to find one of them. The Husq's are also going to be wider.

LOL I'd probably jump at an old Bolens FS11 (! which I just discovered)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stiga is a brand of Global Garden Products designed & made in the EU
Also the same are Castle Garden , Greenway and something else
Jonsorred designed the original articulated mower that Husqvarna developed their range off after the take over
Down side is they do not handle long grass very well
The Rider / Pro-Rider & Rider-Pro models I think had optional smaller decks so you might get a used one second hand.
The Rider 11/13 came with the EU 33" deck (850mm ) But there is 2.5" either side for the frame so that makes it 38" all up.
The imported ones are head & shoulders better than the USA redesign which is longer wider & does not turn as sharp because too many idiots flipped then on hills

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stiga is a brand of Global Garden Products designed & made in the EU
Also the same are Castle Garden , Greenway and something else
Jonsorred designed the original articulated mower that Husqvarna developed their range off after the take over
Down side is they do not handle long grass very well
The Rider / Pro-Rider & Rider-Pro models I think had optional smaller decks so you might get a used one second hand.
The Rider 11/13 came with the EU 33" deck (850mm ) But there is 2.5" either side for the frame so that makes it 38" all up.
The imported ones are head & shoulders better than the USA redesign which is longer wider & does not turn as sharp because too many idiots flipped then on hills
mower tumbling is a sport here. In the winter we add studs to the tires and call it mower sledding :) :) :)

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Possibly - the Walkers were the ones that impressed me the most - and they are used by lawn maintenance all over my neighborhood.

R21 looks like it would do the "under" cutting, but the min deck is 42" and the drive wheel track is almost as wide. That width is an issue as well as the width and overall length of the unit. I've been thinking of all the places the 32" Snapper can get into including surface roots and short steep banks.

The articulateds look closer to what might work for me and one of the narrow Stigas are 33" but I'd never expect to find one of them. The Husq's are also going to be wider.

LOL I'd probably jump at an old Bolens FS11 (! which I just discovered)
Brand availability will depend on where you live.

Threads
mower tumbling is a sport here. In the winter we add studs to the tires and call it mower sledding :) :) :)

Mower Tumbling? LOL Reliant Tumbling in UK I wonder. Check out Jeremy's Reliant Rolling:

Threads
In all seriousness, I do have a bank with a row of hedges along the top. I can drive my Snapper along the bank, but I look like a Sidecar Monkey! with my head in the hedges! (always good method to slight throw you weight around to see how stable you are - as long as you bounce back!)

FYI: That "bounce back" has a frequency and is the fundamental frequency of the structure. When that frequency reaches zero, the structure collapses (buckles) since there is no longer any restoring force. Cranes should have real time spectrum analyzers which would show how close to collapse they are no matter what the tables say - shock and wind loads will kill your crane if near limit.)