Z425 Governor constantly surging

dazedconfused49

Forum Newbie
Threads
The governor is constantly surging. The problem goes away when choked as well as when blades are engaged. Seems like this is an air/fuel issue of some kind. Changing out the idler spring since I have the guarding removed and pulling fuel line to blow it out. Anyone have experience with a similar issue that could point me in the right direction? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually a clogged jet in the carburettor
go to outdoor power info find the carb cleaning section , locate your carb & follow the photo instructions

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Dirty carburetor can be of suspect but can be also be incorrect minimum idle speed if the engine is a Briggs v-twin.

If a Briggs v-twin you need go thru the static governor adjustment. Then setup the governor idle speed per the service manual. IF the minimum idle speed is below 1200 then engine can surge.

lugbolt

Threads
Briggs. I'm assuming 25hp V-twin.

Nikki carburetor aren't they?? Take it off, throw it into the next county and buy another carb. And gaskets.

Did many of them. You can clean them til you're blue in the face and sometimes they just don't cooperate.

Those were the only carbs I never could figure out. Maybe I'm just dumb. But at $100/hr shop labor, it don't take long to pay for a whole new carb.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs. I'm assuming 25hp V-twin.

Nikki carburetor aren't they?? Take it off, throw it into the next county and buy another carb. And gaskets.

Did many of them. You can clean them til you're blue in the face and sometimes they just don't cooperate.

Those were the only carbs I never could figure out. Maybe I'm just dumb. But at $100/hr shop labor, it don't take long to pay for a whole new carb.
Send me all these good parts you are tossing away please. Good 30 minute carb boil should take care of them.