Z225 Serial Number and Compare Parts

madness5557

Threads
I have a used Z225 with a serial number of m0z225a042787. I cannot find the oil filter and draining the oil seems awkward at best. I believe I need the 251 maintenance kit but was sold a 253 kit due to the serial number. Does anyone know that serial determines the maintenance kit number and what ranges these are in? Without an oil filter the 251 kit seems the better selection. On another issue the mower is cutting uneven. I checked the blades and tire pressure. I measured the blades height on each side and adjusted accordingly. Each time out the mower continues to cut uneven. I bring the mower back in and measure and find that the same side continues to go out about a 1/2 inch. My next step to is adjust again and then measure the front and back blade heights. But the front adjustment to me does seem that it should cause one side to lose the proper height.Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
kit 251 is for serial numbers under 40,000 doesn't come with a oil filter
kit 253 is for 40,001 through 100,000 and contains a oil filter

since it was not purchased new, nothing is to say that the engine hasn't been replaced and it doesn't have a filter

madness5557

Threads
kit 251 is for serial numbers under 40,000 doesn't come with a oil filter
kit 253 is for 40,001 through 100,000 and contains a oil filter

since it was not purchased new, nothing is to say that the engine hasn't been replaced and it doesn't have a filter
Joe, Thank you. Looks like I was sold a 253 and a filter wrench that I do not need. Any idea on how the oil is suppose to drain. I never saw anything like this. There suppose to be a hose but I tried to put one together but it is nearly impossible. It's like they tried to make it easier but did nothing but make it almost impossible. I'm about ready to get a siphon to remove the oil. Thanks again on the serial number answer.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
should be one of those push and turn valves on the side to drain it, still wonder if that's the original engine?

madness5557

Threads
should be one of those push and turn valves on the side to drain it, still wonder if that's the original engine?
Joe, Yes, I pull off the yellow cap and then pull the plastic valve out. The issue is that the valve the frame directly below it and very little room to go forward with a hose (which is really towards the rear wheel). I want to a local John Deere dealer and really received no help, just wrong information. My guess is this is a lower end zero turn (from Lowes) and the model was changed at some point maybe to fix these flaws or maybe I am just missing something. I appreciate the reply. It is a Briggs and Stratton 18.5. I am no mechenic but can do maintenance and basic repair but this is insane.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is an early 2008 model.

madness5557

Threads
I found a DOM that says DOM 121207 which I am guessing is December 12, 2007. Looks like your answer on an early 2008 is correct. It's more a guess but I'm looking at the usage of my z225 at 36 weeks a year and 2 hours per week which is just under 1000 hours. My goal is to determine is it worth putting $800 plus into it. A lot less then a new one but is it throwing good money into something bad. I am looking at a JD or the Gravely XT (42" $3200 or 52" $3400) or a John Deere 300 Series that can be just under $3000 to $3500. But this is a second question. Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Wasn't much a guess as I have the serial number break and age range chart here.

To help determined your decision what matters now that engine gone is what overall condition of the rest of the mower. A well taken care of unit is worth it but one that has been ragged out isn't. Otherwords a unit that has a lot neglect such bent deck, bad wheel bushings, and the typical missing plastic hood (which a lot JD have on their riders) is just a money trap.

madness5557

Threads
Thank you. I may have misunderstood your reply but it seems it is the deck not the engine. I am just estimating how many hours the engine has on it. It has no oil filter which I would guess may lessen the life of the engine if the engine was not changed more often. I can get a new deck for $800 plus with spindles, blades belt included. Now how long will everything else last is the question.

It was cutting uneven all last year. I Swapped the blades and eventually put new blades on even thought they did not appear bent. I cannot get the one blade corrected front to back; not even close. I am not going to say the other blade is is not 100% but I would say it is within specs. Late last season a piece of the deck broke off under the shoot which is concerning.

Sounds like what you are saying is don't keep spending good money on it. I will be using this for many years to come so it seems it may be a good time to move on. I am looking at the Gravely XT or one of the comparable John Deere's. I have between 1/2-3/4 acre so staying with a good residential model should last me years. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your response
To help determined your decision what matters now that engine gone is what overall condition of the rest of the mower. A well taken care of unit is worth it but one that has been ragged out isn't. Otherwords a unit that has a lot neglect such bent deck, bad wheel bushings, and the typical missing plastic hood (which a lot JD have on their riders) is just a money trap.