Z225 engine issues

tmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Z225 with a 18.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The engine is leaking oil and pooling up under the oil filter. I looked at the filter and it isn't leaking. I checked the oil line going to the fuel pump?? at least thats what I thnk it is. The clamp is tight but does have oil on it. I was running the engine the other day and it started blowing smoke out of the exhaust. I looked at the fuel pump and oil was coming out of what looks like a screen.

What could be the problem and what should I do??

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only way you should be getting oil at the fuel pump is either the breather is bad or the crankcase is full of oil, fuel which means that the fuel pump could be leaking fuel into the crankcase and overfilling it.

Check the oil level in the engine and see if it is overfilled and smells like gas.

tmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to mower repair and I'm afraid to start tearing things down because I'm worriedI won't get it back together. maybe a dumb question but where is the breather?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be a about 1/2 inch black tube coming of the air filter housing. Follow it down to the block and that will be the breather.

tmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
the piece that is spitting oil is where the fueline and the oil line meet and then there is a line that goes to the carb. I have torn the motor down a little and will try and tune it tomorrow. Where can I find a repair manual??

tmoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
ended up being a blown headgasket.

Thanks for the help though