Export thread

Your Ideal Mower?

R

rwraysmith

I work for a mower OEM manufacturer. I'm getting my feet wet with this app and wanted to ask a question. As you can imagine, we do a lot of thinking about mowers around here, both for pros and homeowners.

One thing we'd love to know is... If you could design the perfect riding/zero turn mower, what three features would it have? You could include specific features about safety, electronics, power, high-tech - the sky's the limit here.

I'll check back periodically to see your ideas.

Thanks!

B

bertsmobile1

These are the additions that should be added to particularly commercial ZTR's

A deck with a substantial offset to the left to allow close mowing along fence lines .
A rack o hold a trimmer
A rack to hold a weed sprayer with 12V power take off.

These are the idiot design faults that should be rectified.
1) Oil filters that are inaccessible or do not have swing room for wrench. About 75% of new mowers suffer from this.
2) Oil filters with no way of getting any type of drip try under them & spill oil all over the floor and usually the belts , About 80% suffer this.
3) Belt tensioners in inaccessable positions, around 50 %
4) lap controls without both forward & reverse adjustments ( 3 to 4 holes do not cut the mustard ), must be a screw.
5) Lap / pedal controls without a sensitivity adjustment

Ric

Ric

I work for a mower OEM manufacturer. I'm getting my feet wet with this app and wanted to ask a question. As you can imagine, we do a lot of thinking about mowers around here, both for pros and homeowners.

One thing we'd love to know is... If you could design the perfect riding/zero turn mower, what three features would it have? You could include specific features about safety, electronics, power, high-tech - the sky's the limit here.

I'll check back periodically to see your ideas.

Thanks!

I don't know if anyone can give an answer or have an answer for the Ideal mower. Everyone will have complaints and think this or that needs to be changed or this or that added and to what he or she thinks will be the ideal mower.
Most of the Pro's or guys that are making a living in lawn-care like myself want something simple and don't worry about buying all the bells and whistles that you can get on a lot of the mowers out there today. The more you add the more the price goes up and it's just more stuff to go on the fritz. The thing that they do look at is cut quality and discharge. I'd look for ways to improve what's already there and not adding more B&W.

R

Rivets

This thread smells a little fishy. How about identifying your company and we will tell you what improvements you can make to your units.

R

rwraysmith

This thread smells a little fishy. How about identifying your company and we will tell you what improvements you can make to your units.

Rivets, like I said, I don't work for a mower manufacturer directly. I work for an OEM, an original equipment manufacturer. We make parts for mowers, not the mowers themselves. We make parts for all the mowers out there.

That said, you sound like you have some experience in the area. What features would you like to see on a mower of the future?

B

bertsmobile1

Don't be a kill joy, vent the spleen.
Yu must have an encyclopedia's wort of idiot things that a !/2 intelligent engineer would not let the marketing & design consultants get away with.

OTOH less is better definitely goes for mowers.
I can not get enough 1/2 good old varidrive / cone clutch ride ons to satisfy the demand for them and the old mowers with the old Peerless boxs sell the instant I put one on the street.

R

Rivets

Bert, I call them as I see them. I know how to post info that everyone can understand without using a thousand miss spelled words, abbreviations, or extra long explanations that are so wordy no one understands which point you are trying to make. I give you credit, from the posts you make that I can understand, you are an expienced mechanic and probably one of the best techs on this forum. Your problem is that your ability to communicate your knowledge to others is at the bottom of the scale.

To the OP, in post #1 you say "I work for a mower OEM manufacturer", to me that means that you manufacture equipment. Now you say you work for a parts manufacturer, big difference. I doubt you are building engine parts. Are you building chassis, decks, seats, operating controls, etc? I have talked to and worked with engineers in the industry who have shown me designs which would make it easier to work on a piece of equipment, but cost cuts by the "Brand Manufacturer" are not allowed to be implemented.

You really want to know how to make your parts better, get away from your desk, smart phone and computer. Spend some time working along side the people who use and repair your parts. Put on the safety glasses, rip a pair of pants and a couple of shirts, get some grease, oil mud, fertilizer and crap under your nails and have your body hurt when you go home. After 30 days of doing this you will have more ideas of how to make your product better, than this or any forum will give you in a year.

Still smell an off oder??

B

bertsmobile1

Gees Rivs, I thought my typing was getting a whole lot better.

No arguement that the OP's post smells funny

OTOH I would imagine some one in the design / marketing departments of every mower company reads this ( and most other ) mower forums.
Unlike Robert @ Honda, either they just lurk or choose not to identify themselves.
So if we are lucky, some of them might take the posts to heart and actually make improvements that matter.

R

rwraysmith

You guys... This is a way to collect market research, which is what I'm doing. Of course I get away from my desk. Every chance I get I do. And we are talking to a lot of people. What's fishy about asking for your opinion? It may be naive to say, but your opinion is very important to manufacturers like us. Any one that says otherwise won't last long.

We are talking to the landscape guys, but we're also talking to the dealers and other folks who make the parts we don't. You'd be surprised by the different answer we get. Landscape managers and owners want different things from their workers. Equipment dealers want different things than landscapers. And some manufacturers want to bury their heads in the sand and never innovate.

We don't want to be in that group. I know it may sound "fishy" to want to know what's on your mind, but that's all I'm after. Your opinion, plus anybody else's who happens along...

Tell me, are you guys dealers, landscapers...?

B

bertsmobile1

Well do some research on the only 2 who bothered to reply and you will see which part of the industry we are in

R

Rivets

If you cannot figure out which part of the industry Bert and I are in, you better look into a new line of work. Even the totally inept posters on this forum can understand what we are talking about. Niether one of us has hidden our occupations from anyone. A lot of people are laughing at this thread right now, and I wonder why? Oh, because the two of us are calling you out and probably have together done more research on equipment needs than you have. Hint, we both work closely with, engine and equipment manufacturers, parts distributors, technical service reps and Joe the consumer.

R

rwraysmith

I never assume anything. Wow, you guys sure don't have a lot of patience for someone who's new to the business and trying to learn.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Please understand that my examples in this post may not be on lawnmowers. However, the points I am trying to make apply to lawn mowers too.

I have run into plenty of poor designs while working on equipment. For example, a Homelite pressure washer on which the carburetor couldn't be serviced without removing the engine. My ideal mower would be easy to repair as well as easy to use.

Another thing I appreciate is cheap parts. MTD in particular has very expensive parts, while I can get Homelite and Ryobi parts for much less. I have bought a Ryobi air filter cover online for $1, shipping included.

I see no problem with using this forum to find out what people are looking for in a mower or any other lawn equipment.

B

bertsmobile1

I never assume anything. Wow, you guys sure don't have a lot of patience for someone who's new to the business and trying to learn.

Forums like these are self help venues designed to help the confused, not exploit the gullible.
They run on honesty & trust.
Honesty is like love & trust, the more you give out the more you get back.

Others like to exploit resources like these groups for their own greedy personnal gains, to take & not give.
The cyber equivalent of rape & pillage.

If you want to get something you have to give something.
You have given nothing.

It may have escaped you that I actually responded with a short list of things that need to be addressed.

If you are genuine then all you need to do is read .
There are a lot of posts here and the item that needs to be addressed will be in the original post so you only have to read the first and perhaps the second post in each thread.
Not hard to do especially on the bosses time.
I did it when I first joined the group seeking sources of information which is dennied to Australians on Australian web sites, on my own time after working a 14 hour day. I did this with more than a dozen mower groups till I found one which suited my needs.
I did not go the lazy way and ask " where do you lot get your information from '' and expect others to do MY WORK for me.
And most important I was up front & honest when I joined telling all who I was & why I was here and true to the ideals of this group, BECAUSE I GAIN VALUABLE INFORMATION from the member I ALSO GIVE BACK to the forum.

You appear to have no idea which sector Riv & I are in so that shows either you are thick, lazy, inept or have no connection with the mowing industry.
For all we know you could be a bone lazy student doing a thesis on internet groups trying to get some one else to do your work for you.
You could be a lazy advertising moron looking for a theme for next seasons campaign.
And after a quick reply to Primer, this is the last you will get from me on this thread unless you start to GIVE something worthwhile back.

B

bertsmobile1

Please understand that my examples in this post may not be on lawnmowers. However, the points I am trying to make apply to lawn mowers too.

I have run into plenty of poor designs while working on equipment. For example, a Homelite pressure washer on which the carburetor couldn't be serviced without removing the engine. My ideal mower would be easy to repair as well as easy to use.

Another thing I appreciate is cheap parts. MTD in particular has very expensive parts, while I can get Homelite and Ryobi parts for much less. I have bought a Ryobi air filter cover online for $1, shipping included.

I see no problem with using this forum to find out what people are looking for in a mower or any other lawn equipment.

I would have assumed that a "Kohler Certified Technician" would have no problems opening a trade account with any one of a thousand retailers or even wholesale distributors. So I am at a loss why you have trouble accessing parts at a reasonable price.

Second I would have thought you have seen companies bending over backward to make things cheaper only to vanish from the face of the earth because they end up on too thin a margin and some one else manages to get a similar product to market a few cents cheaper.

Factories are not magic places where you construct a building put in a machine and parts start flying out at no cost to you.
In order to be healthy and strong every sector of an industry needs to be able to make a reasonable profit.
Greedy individuals destroy this by searching out the absolute cheapest source and oft this source is supplying inferior products.
Imagine an Amercia where the only retail shop left standing was Walmart selling what you seem to want, bone cheap parts sourced from overseas, and the 100,000,000 Americians involved in manufacturing and the retailing & distribution of those manufatured products was unemployed so are forced to get by the best they can including , dealing drugs to YOUR children, breaking into YOUR house , stealing YOUR car , or mugging YOU or members of YOUR family.
An extreme example, but to a lesser degree that is what happens.
Manufacturing is closing down in Australia and a lot of ex employees end up buying mowing franchises, resulting in many of them paying the franchise agent for the priviledge of working 14 hours a day and the reasonable margins have dropped down to just above substance.
I know this because in desperation they come to me for help & advice, try to trade down some of their gear or sneak in some aftermarket parts rather that buy the overpriced parts through the franchise.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I would have assumed that a "Kohler Certified Technician" would have no problems opening a trade account with any one of a thousand retailers or even wholesale distributors. So I am at a loss why you have trouble accessing parts at a reasonable price.

Second I would have thought you have seen companies bending over backward to make things cheaper only to vanish from the face of the earth because they end up on too thin a margin and some one else manages to get a similar product to market a few cents cheaper.

Factories are not magic places where you construct a building put in a machine and parts start flying out at no cost to you.
In order to be healthy and strong every sector of an industry needs to be able to make a reasonable profit.
Greedy individuals destroy this by searching out the absolute cheapest source and oft this source is supplying inferior products.
Imagine an Amercia where the only retail shop left standing was Walmart selling what you seem to want, bone cheap parts sourced from overseas, and the 100,000,000 Americians involved in manufacturing and the retailing & distribution of those manufatured products was unemployed so are forced to get by the best they can including , dealing drugs to YOUR children, breaking into YOUR house , stealing YOUR car , or mugging YOU or members of YOUR family.
An extreme example, but to a lesser degree that is what happens.
Manufacturing is closing down in Australia and a lot of ex employees end up buying mowing franchises, resulting in many of them paying the franchise agent for the priviledge of working 14 hours a day and the reasonable margins have dropped down to just above substance.
I know this because in desperation they come to me for help & advice, try to trade down some of their gear or sneak in some aftermarket parts rather that buy the overpriced parts through the franchise.

I am not and have never been a small engine professional. I repair and sell lawn equipment as a hobby. I became a Kohler certified technician by passing the free technician certification test on Kohler's website. This does not make me a Kohler dealer, nor does it give me any special access to wholesale parts distributors.

I am not going to argue with you about cheap parts. I simply appreciate when manufacturers chooses to supply their parts to consumers at a low cost. FYI, in my earlier post I was comparing the prices of OEM parts, not cheap Chinese aftermarket parts.

R

Rivets

Mr. Smith, now you say you are a newbee to this business?? Then, as a retired instructor I will revert to teaching mode. Rule #1, in this industry and in research you get out what you put in. This means you have to give something to get something. Rule#2, when asked a question, give an honest answer. Don't try to sidestep the question or be evasive. Any of your customers will see through you in an instant. Rule #3, as a newcomer trying to do things the easy way will very seldom work. We have all made many mistakes and have earn our scars to prove it. Rule #4, patience and understanding the information you receive are not always easy. You are dealing with Joe Public, who many times does not know how to communicate his problem to you or he may not understand what you want him to do to solve the problem. Rule #5, there is not cure or repair for stupid. You need to learn and practice Rule #4 more often than you want to. That concludes this lesson, more to follow when you have mastered these five. Time for you to do your research.

R

rwraysmith

I don't know if anyone can give an answer or have an answer for the Ideal mower. Everyone will have complaints and think this or that needs to be changed or this or that added and to what he or she thinks will be the ideal mower. Most of the Pro's or guys that are making a living in lawn-care like myself want something simple and don't worry about buying all the bells and whistles that you can get on a lot of the mowers out there today. The more you add the more the price goes up and it's just more stuff to go on the fritz. The thing that they do look at is cut quality and discharge. I'd look for ways to improve what's already there and not adding more B&W.

Thanks, Ric. I've recorded your feedback and really appreciate the input.

R

rwraysmith

Please understand that my examples in this post may not be on lawnmowers. However, the points I am trying to make apply to lawn mowers too. I have run into plenty of poor designs while working on equipment. For example, a Homelite pressure washer on which the carburetor couldn't be serviced without removing the engine. My ideal mower would be easy to repair as well as easy to use. Another thing I appreciate is cheap parts. MTD in particular has very expensive parts, while I can get Homelite and Ryobi parts for much less. I have bought a Ryobi air filter cover online for $1, shipping included. I see no problem with using this forum to find out what people are looking for in a mower or any other lawn equipment.

Primer, thanks for the mature and thoughtful response. While my company doesn't make the items you address in your post, we can do something to enhance safety and make you more productive on a job. For the second item, think of the mower as a command module of sorts that can make your other gear like trimmers, edgers, blowers, etc., last longer with less down-time. Is this something you might be interested in?

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I'm afraid I don't have much feedback about equipment operation. I fix a lot of equipment, but I don't spend much time using it. I have one string trimmer and one lawn mower that I use once per week during mowing season. Aside from testing machines I've fixed, that's all the yard work I do.

I don't understand what you mean about the mower being a command module or influencing the durability of the other equipment. Could you explain this in more detail?

R

rwraysmith

I'm afraid I don't have much feedback about equipment operation. I fix a lot of equipment, but I don't spend much time using it. I have one string trimmer and one lawn mower that I use once per week during mowing season. Aside from testing machines I've fixed, that's all the yard work I do. I don't understand what you mean about the mower being a command module or influencing the durability of the other equipment. Could you explain this in more detail?

Sure. I'm thinking about inverters that would allow you to power corded equipment and/or charge battery equipment so that landscapers don't have to return to the truck for power. The unit could also have USB drives to charge phones etc. Granted, these would only be really useful on big jobs where the distance to the truck is a big one.

In terms of maintenance, since you do. Lot of repair, how about devices that tell you how long a machine has been used, so you can get a better handle on oil changes, filters, battery replacement and so forth?

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Sure. I'm thinking about inverters that would allow you to power corded equipment and/or charge battery equipment so that landscapers don't have to return to the truck for power. The unit could also have USB drives to charge phones etc. Granted, these would only be really useful on big jobs where the distance to the truck is a big one.

In terms of maintenance, since you do. Lot of repair, how about devices that tell you how long a machine has been used, so you can get a better handle on oil changes, filters, battery replacement and so forth?

That would be helpful, but many larger machines already have hour meters.

R

rwraysmith

That would be helpful, but many larger machines already have hour meters.

I know, I was thinking more along the lines of the handhelds. It wouldn't be just for the mowers themselves, and the hour meters would be enhanced for second generation capability.

B

bertsmobile1

Which could only be used when the PTO is not engaged or cause a voltage drop enough to blow the PTO altogether,.
Then you have to convince the mower companies to fit 50A alternators to all equipment , not just the ones that have an electric PTO thus adding a few hundred to the cost of all mowers.
Or do you believe in the perpetual motion machine, or one of those 500 "free electricity" frauds on You tube.
To pull 110V off a 12 V system to power a modest say 1000W drill you will be gobbling up a minimum 10A from a particularly poor generating system in the first place and what about all the engines with 3A generators ?
Most landscapers worth their salt carry a back up jump start pack and most of these already have USB ports, 12 V ports, mains ports, compressor & work lamps. Some also have a radio/ Mp3 player with solar recharging so they won't send your mowers battery flat and recharge themselves, so what was that which we can not live without ?
Ric & I oft cross swords but this time I am with him 100% .He told you what is needed and it is not what your are eluding towards.

Mowers already have hour meters, designed by clowns with no idea of the operating conditions of mowers so they have liquid crystal displays that go blank or black after 2 hours in the sun so become effectivly useless or screens that are so glarey they can not be read even if the LCD was working and then the really good ones with lots of information flashing in front of your eyes in a font size that can not be read without a magnifying glass or better still are neither dust nor water tight so get so dusty under the screen they can not be read, or condense water under the screen so they can not be read ,or short out or just plain mechanically fail.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

My perfect mower would be one you could still start by pulling a cord. Instead of having to replace a $60 battery every couple of years.