You WON'T Believe What JOHN DEERE is Doing Now

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
John Deere is getting into the electric market.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is a buck to made JD will go for it. I'm afraid this where all of lawncare equipment is headed. At least I am thinking about retiring from the business as repair business will go in the toilet as these non repairable item hit the market. It will be use it, break it, throw it away, and replace it. The days of repairmen (excuse me - Repair persons) are numbered now. There will just be part swappers.

Besides we are probably running out oil and they are just getting ahead of the game.

On top that we poor are being punished for the 10% that does 40% of the polluting. And if just half of us did the actually things that keep the environment clean it would help. Like not dumping our used oil in the local ditches. Or just putting our trash in the waste containers instead just throwing it out of the vehicle windows. My mother was one of those that would out left over fast food containers before she got home. I finally got her to listen as we always pass the trash can when we got out of the car.

We are already at the point that nature is fight back now and we will pay a heavy price for destruction of this planet. We finally pissed Mother Nature off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think about it
Nearly all of the major brands have gone down the high volume low profit route
California is the single biggest market in the entire USA
California has banned residential petrol powered mowers
So if they want to stay in business JD ( and everyone else ) will have to service the californian market .

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If there is a buck to made JD will go for it. I'm afraid this where all of lawncare equipment is headed. At least I am thinking about retiring from the business as repair business will go in the toilet as these non repairable item hit the market. It will be use it, break it, throw it away, and replace it. The days of repairmen (excuse me - Repair persons) are numbered now. There will just be part swappers.

Besides we are probably running out oil and they are just getting ahead of the game.

On top that we poor are being punished for the 10% that does 40% of the polluting. And if just half of us did the actually things that keep the environment clean it would help. Like not dumping our used oil in the local ditches. Or just putting our trash in the waste containers instead just throwing it out of the vehicle windows. My mother was one of those that would out left over fast food containers before she got home. I finally got her to listen as we always pass the trash can when we got out of the car.

We are already at the point that nature is fight back now and we will pay a heavy price for destruction of this planet. We finally pissed Mother Nature off.
All true. And at least for my area finding places to take used motor oil is getting harder. I have a local Napa and a local oil quick change place that will not accept used oil. Oreilly's and Autozone will take 5 gallon per day, and have to be careful what you take to Autozone because they will not accept oil contaminated with gas(hint leaking carbs with filled crankcases) and used oil collection company will not pick up less than 150 gallon. So people don't want to deal with it and just dump the oil where ever.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you live near the coast where the ships buy bunker oil then it is hard to dispose of used oil
This isa shame because oil can be filtered, redistilled and recycled endlessly
But the oil companies did such a good job of deamonizing re-refined oil it is only very large transport companies & railways that use it and even then that is usually 50:50 with fresh oil
We used to run 18 furnaces on bunker oil till pollution abatement laws prohibited it .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The truck shop across the street lets me dump my good used oil in their containers. They burn it during the winter to heat their shop. The landlord always has limbs down in their yard that I have to pick up before mowing. So I'll stack it up behind my house and burn it when I have gas contaminated with water.

That's luck.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm wondering if there's going to be a collection fee for all these batteries? Or will they take them for free, since the lithium batteries are recyclable.

Born2Mow

Threads
At least I am thinking about retiring from the business as repair business will go in the toilet as these non repairable item hit the market. It will be use it, break it, throw it away, and replace it. The days of repairmen (excuse me - Repair persons) are numbered now. There will just be part swappers.
You're not wrong there. At one time I was a young commission mechanic. My dealership saw that their main brand was dying and took on Honda. On the older brand, most assemblies were rebuildable and that meant labor content on each job. Honda on the other hand only sold complete assemblies. Nothing got rebuilt, whole chunks simply got replaced. It was great for the dealer... and the kiss of death for the commission mechanic.

I was young enough to parlay my mechanical experience into a better paying engineering job, thank God. But I watched a lot of my friends who couldn't do that transition go through a slow-motion death spiral of divorce and suicide. It was painful to watch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm wondering if there's going to be a collection fee for all these batteries? Or will they take them for free, since the lithium batteries are recyclable.
Lithium batteries are to all extent & purposes not recyclable
There is a mob down here that pulls them apart using solar power ( green galoots ) but the cos of deconstrucing them is 3 times the price of making them .
The reason is that the + & - plates can never be shorted, even on a battery that is dead motherless flat or they will instantly react which willl be an explosion if they are still confined within the case or a toxic chemical fire if they are out of the case
Would you insure a factory that does that ?
Then there is workers compensation insurance plus enviromental damage insurance .
None of them are made to facilitate recycling & recovery of the chemicals.
With a std lead acid battery, the top is guillotined automatically about 1/4" down the plate length then both the case & lid are flipped over
The plates & seperators are then sorted by specific gravity and because all of the plates are lead , they are then melted
In one plant we rotary trommel the plates first to separate the plates from the paste
In that case the paste goes to a chemical plant and eventually ends up in truck tyres .
The top then has the bus bars & terminals pushed out and they go into the furnace to become antimonial lead ( negative terminals & bus bars )
After this the case & top is washed then pelletised & sent back to the machine that makes the cases & lids
This is usually done either in batches or in dedicated machines so the case can be translucient while the tops get colourants added ( made from the furnacs dross ) to identify the different batteries
So not only is 100% of the battery recycled , it is also done at a profit over using virgin material so they do get recycled rather than sent to landfill

But of course the green fool want lead batteries banned to save the planet from lead pollution which only goes to prove just hoe ignorant 99.99% of all environmental warriors are.