Repairs Won't start - Deere L130 23hp kohler

pquada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great forum! So far it seems to be very helpful.

Okay, Ive got a 5 year old Deere L130 23hp 48" mower. It was running and mowing great up until the last few mowings.

Today, I went to start it, the battery was weak, it cranked 4-5 times and the battery died. I inspected the battery, charged it and attempted to start and it would crank without starting then flooded. I attempted to start it as i always do and the carb just filled up with gas, no start. Pulled the plugs out, found they were black and wet. I cleaned them, got spark on both, still wouldnt start.

Prior to now, i would start it by having the parking brake engaged, throttle on full and the choke on full. Let it run for 5 seconds, turn the choke off and good to go. Starting 3 mowings ago, I had to leave the choke on for 30-40 seconds with full throttle or the engine would die.

The last mowing before now, i was unable to engage the PTO (deck) without having the choke on, otherwise the engine would die.

I live in michigan and within the month it went from 60's to 40's if that matters...

Thanks in advance!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should drain the fuel system and look for dirt/water in the fuel, take the bowl off of the carb and clean and dry everything out, new fuel filter, and that will likely take care of things.

pquada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its running like a Deere again! Thank you! :laughing:

I hate to report that I watched a youtube video that said to try starting the mower with the gas cap off, and that worked. Evidently the gas cap breather was plugged just enough...

Im still going to do a full tune up, filters, oil and clean the carb while ive got in the heated garage. Bad news is that I push it up a 15-20 foot graded incline, 300 feet to the garage. That wasn't easy... Doesn't that beast weigh around 450lbs??