Won't shut off!

Threads
I have a Toro mower with a Kohler 149cc engine. It had water in the fuel, etc and would not start. I cleaned the fuel system and it started right up, but now it won't shut off when the safety bail is released. I removed the shroud to check kill switch and found a strange set up. Wire from coil goes to brake shoe. I cleaned flywheel surface as this is the only contact with ground. Still will not shut off. Wire fro mcoil to shoe ohms good, from coil through shoe measures 80 ohms. I haven't seen a setup like this before.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With the ECB cable released that switch should be reading near zero and not 80 ohms. I believe you have dirty contacts in the switch. To test if it is the switch at the brake simply add a test wire to wire from the coil and ground it to see if the engine will shut off when running.

Threads
The coil will shut off if I wire it direct. It doesn't look like a switch is there. It's literally wired to a nut on the back of the brake puck.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay got brake off a working Kolher XT650 (149CC) engine to test. Now I see what you are talking about. That brake pad is conductive when press my meter lead sideways to the pad surface I get 20-30 ohms or if you run a diode check you get around .030 volts. This is one case where the flywheel needs to nearly rust free too and that the brake is working as it should.

It sounds like you may need to the replace the brake assembly (Kohler PN 14 219 21-S) as it is glazed or too worn to conduct as it should.

New way to kill a magneto that I haven't seen before.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like StarTech nailed it. Pictures would be helpful.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Kohler PN 14 219 21-s
KOH14 219 21-s.JPG