Wiring Config for Starter Solenoid on Commercial Fastrak 60"

Hustle n Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Wiring Config for Starter Solenoid on Commercial Fastrak 60"
Hi all,

I recently changed out the starter solenoid on my Huistler 60" Fastrak Commercial, but I can't seem to remember how to wire it back up correctly (after a few weeks of snow and rain and bitter cold). I have found a wiring diagram in the service manual (image attached), but I still have some basic questions:

1.) On the solenoid, there is a "short" post and a "longer" post (image attached). Which one attaches directly to the starter motor via the coiled copper connector with ring?
2.) Which of these is the "positive" terminal for the solenoid?
3.) Should the battery "spark" when everything is connected correctly on the solenoid, and I am reconnecting the battery terminals?
4.) I can recognize the "positive" wire coming from the battery, and the negative wire coming from the battery, the purple/orange wire that is from the ignition switch, and a short grounding wire. There is also a red wire that connects directly to a "wafer" on the solenoid. BUT, there is another black wire with a ring connector on the end that doesn't seem to correlate to the wiring diagram, but the diagram shows there should be another "red" wire for the negative side of the solenoid.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated - I have tried what I believe to be every permutation, but get sparks with no key in the ignition when reconnecting the battery.

Attachments

• soleniod.jpg
    soleniod.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
  • wiring.png
    wiring.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 4

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the wiring diagram is for a remote starter solenoid and not for solenoid shift starter. The solenoid shown is the starter mounted solenoid for the solenoid shift starter.

Basically you should have a large red wire from battery, orange and purple connected to long post if I got ordination right and the other post connects to short heavy wire from the starter. Now the small red/black connects to the .250 spade.

Now this what a solenoid shift starter looks like.
1708461861234.png

Now if you don't a solenoid shift starter then you got the wrong solenoid to start with. or there is more than one redundant solenoid.

Now this what a remote might look like (what they call a three post version pictured)
1708462438382.png

Hustle n Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Star Tech - THANK YOU! That all makes sense, but what about the extra black wire with the loop connection at the end - does that also connect to ground? And should the battery "spark" when hooking back up?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No the battery should not arc the connections.

As the black wire try checking using an ohms or continuity tester to ground. Sounds like a ground wire but not sure it been quite a while since my last Fastrax repair.

One hint for next time too take pictures as you disassemble things when you are unfamiliar with a repair. I know behind sight 20/20.

Hustle n Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
No the battery should not arc the connections.

As the black wire try checking using an ohms or continuity tester to ground. Sounds like a ground wire but not sure it been quite a while since my last Fastrax repair.

One hint for next time too take pictures as you disassemble things when you are unfamiliar with a repair. I know behind sight 20/20.
StarTech, i will hook it all up and put the meter on it today. Once again, thanks for answering all my questions. Is there some way i can "upvote" you or something in gratitude?