Export thread

Windows 10

Ric

Ric

Well how many are going to download there new Windows 10 Today. I'm waiting to be notified and mines going to happen ASAP.

S

shiftsuper175607

Well how many are going to download there new Windows 10 Today. I'm waiting to be notified and mines going to happen ASAP.

I am using Windows 7. I will wait a while to see what people say and for any possible kinks to get worked out.

I am getting ready to built another computer, so I will upgrade it to Win 10 probably first.

What I am hearing so far are good things about it.

Bob E

Bob E

I don't understand why they are just giving it away. Sees like something fishy going on... I don't even like downloading updates anymore. They always make my computer run like crap. Kind of like it's loaded down with spyware, but a virus scan never detects anything...
I have an old computer with XP that I would try it out on, but XP users are SOL.

Ric

Ric

I am using Windows 7. I will wait a while to see what people say and for any possible kinks to get worked out.

I am getting ready to built another computer, so I will upgrade it to Win 10 probably first.

What I am hearing so far are good things about it.

I can't wait to get my notification so I can down load mine. I just hope it doesn't take to long. I was running the windows 7 but went to 8.1 when I upgraded computers and I don't have any issues with it and they say the 10 is even better.

Homer1

Homer1

If you have windows 7, I would think about forgetting about the upgrade, at least until the last minute. You have roughly a year to upgrade for free, and lots of things can go wrong in that year.

I once upgraded to a Service Pack 3 in XP and it completely locked up one of my PC's due to a conflict with my AMD processor. I was forced to run SP2 after reformatting, and they never addressed the issue.

Windows 10 is basically a windows 8 with a start button and a handful of new technologies that they hope will catch on. If you have 8 or 8.1 and hate it, like my wife, then 10 is probably for you. It will make it easier for those who skilled 8 to understand 10, due to the ability to use the desktop like old school windows, as well as their tiles, which I hate.

I personally will wait at least a month or two to see if any major issues are reported prior to downloading the upgrade for my wife's PC.

As for mine, I have 7 Pro, and probably will until something new comes out, like 11.

IMO, the reason it's free is similar to the Xbox 360. They ran out 8 early, and skipped a lot of things, and realized it. So 10 is sort of a peace offering to get people back on board, and it's a complete 8. Much like the 360 was an engineering failure that they later corrected, after raking in lots of cash.

Ric

Ric

If you have windows 7, I would think about forgetting about the upgrade, at least until the last minute. You have roughly a year to upgrade for free, and lots of things can go wrong in that year.

I once upgraded to a Service Pack 3 in XP and it completely locked up one of my PC's due to a conflict with my AMD processor. I was forced to run SP2 after reformatting, and they never addressed the issue.

Windows 10 is basically a windows 8 with a start button and a handful of new technologies that they hope will catch on. If you have 8 or 8.1 and hate it, like my wife, then 10 is probably for you. It will make it easier for those who skilled 8 to understand 10, due to the ability to use the desktop like old school windows, as well as their tiles, which I hate.

I personally will wait at least a month or two to see if any major issues are reported prior to downloading the upgrade for my wife's PC.

As for mine, I have 7 Pro, and probably will until something new comes out, like 11.

IMO, the reason it's free is similar to the Xbox 360. They ran out 8 early, and skipped a lot of things, and realized it. So 10 is sort of a peace offering to get people back on board, and it's a complete 8. Much like the 360 was an engineering failure that they later corrected, after raking in lots of cash.

Well I just upgrade to a new computer and it's the 8.1 and I really like over the old 7 I was running. Personally I don't really know if the 10 is going to be that much better or not but I don't think any of the Intel processors are going to be an issue. I'll upgrade all the laptops as soon as I can and if there are any problems I'll let others know. At this point I'm still waiting for the notification.

Homer1

Homer1

Well if your already at 8+ it's probably a win win to upgrade.

As for the notification, I have had mine for months, I am running 7 pro.

Wonder why your not getting it.

Ric

Ric

Well if your already at 8+ it's probably a win win to upgrade.

As for the notification, I have had mine for months, I am running 7 pro.

Wonder why your not getting it.

I've had it reserved for the last couple of months. It just became available on Tuesday. There rolling things out in phases to manage the high demand, particularly in the first weeks following Windows 10 availability.

Ric

Ric

I don't understand why they are just giving it away. Sees like something fishy going on... I don't even like downloading updates anymore. They always make my computer run like crap. Kind of like it's loaded down with spyware, but a virus scan never detects anything...
I have an old computer with XP that I would try it out on, but XP users are SOL.

You can buy Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store for XP or Vista, if your computer meets the requirements. XP was released in 2001 and there recommendations are that you use 10 on a newer model. The free upgrade is only available for windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users or so I was told.

Ric

Ric

Well welcome to windows 10 and the Edge Browser.

B

bertsmobile1

There are some serious privacy issues with 10.
Google it to see it can take over 1/2 hour to tur off all the bits that spy on you.
If you are on face book and signed up to a dozen loyality programs it will not be an issue as all your secrets are already out there.

The download from 7 is a massive amount of data and if you are on a budget packet with your ISP it can blow your monthly download limit.
Once 10 is downloads you can not go back to 7 or 8 if you don't like it so back up all of your applications & data before downloading as the only way to revert is to reformat the hard drive and do a reinstal.
Read the fine print very carefully, particularly the bits about what you give your complete permission for Microsloth do with the data it mines from you , your business and children.

Mechanically there appears to be very few problems but basically it is mostly formatting changes to 8

Ric

Ric

There are some serious privacy issues with 10.
Google it to see it can take over 1/2 hour to tur off all the bits that spy on you.
If you are on face book and signed up to a dozen loyality programs it will not be an issue as all your secrets are already out there.

The download from 7 is a massive amount of data and if you are on a budget packet with your ISP it can blow your monthly download limit.
Once 10 is downloads you can not go back to 7 or 8 if you don't like it so back up all of your applications & data before downloading as the only way to revert is to reformat the hard drive and do a reinstal.
Read the fine print very carefully, particularly the bits about what you give your complete permission for Microsloth do with the data it mines from you , your business and children.

Mechanically there appears to be very few problems but basically it is mostly formatting changes to 8

To begin with I don't do facebook, IMO that's garbage. I'm using windows 10 now installed it about a week ago and I love it, and I will say it's a little different. It's a 3 GB download and it took about an hour to download and depending on the system you run it could take considerably longer. It is available for XP or Vista but I wouldn't recommend it.

The thing I would recommend if you download 10 is to shut down your computer every night so that when you turn the thing on it will download any new updates automatically.

Homer1

Homer1

There is already some links floating around showing you how to turn off most of the privacy stuff. Honestly, I don't care if people know what I do on the internet, I just hate targeted advertising, but if it's spying, it's also slowing imo.

I'm still gonna wait till the last free week before I even upgrade a single machine. Lots of code to be double checked over the next few months for various programs to operate correctly without security risks on 10.

I just got rid of xp with 7, so I'm good anyway until they drop support for 7 pro. Lol.

Ric

Ric

There is already some links floating around showing you how to turn off most of the privacy stuff. Honestly, I don't care if people know what I do on the internet, I just hate targeted advertising, but if it's spying, it's also slowing imo.

I'm still gonna wait till the last free week before I even upgrade a single machine. Lots of code to be double checked over the next few months for various programs to operate correctly without security risks on 10.

I just got rid of xp with 7, so I'm good anyway until they drop support for 7 pro. Lol.

I think when you're upgrading from windows 8/8.1 your not going to have near as many problems as you would from the XP or Vista because your talking about computers and operating systems that are like 10 years old.
The problem with waiting until the last week is the same as trying to get 10 now. They put the windows 10 upgrade out in phases to manage the high demand and they make sure your computer upgrade is right for your device before it's installed. You wait until the last week you may not get the upgrade for free.

Homer1

Homer1

Good point. Never thought about that.

Ric

Ric

If you have windows 7 or 8/8.1 and down load windows 10 you can restore the previous windows if you don't like 10. Just check your control panel, under Systems and Security there's a section that gives you the option to restore your previous windows if your not happy. At this point I can say there have been no issues here with 10 and I'm extremely happy with it, it's much easier to use and it's much faster than what I was previously using.

Ric

Ric

Microsoft released Windows 10 four weeks ago today, and now the company is providing a fresh update on its upgrade figures. 14 million machines had Windows 10 installed on them within 24 hours of the operating system release last month, and that figure has now risen to 75 million in just four weeks. Microsoft has been rolling out Windows 10 in waves, as a free upgrade for Windows 8 and Windows 7 users. While it's difficult to compare exact figures between Windows 10 and Windows 8, Microsoft "sold" 40 million licenses of Windows 8 a month after its debut. It's clear the free aspect of Windows 10 is obviously driving higher adoption rates.
Microsoft's Windows marketing chief Yusuf Mehdi revealed the figure today, alongside some more interesting statistics about Windows 10. More than 90,000 unique PCs or tablet models have been upgraded to Windows 10 in 192 countries. That's nearly every country on the planet. Xbox One owners have streamed nearly 122 years of gameplay to Windows 10 PCs.
While Microsoft has been rolling out Windows 10 in waves, there are ways to avoid the wait. There's even methods to clean install Windows 10 if you want to remove the cruft of your previous version of Windows and wipe out the upgrade.

jmurray01

jmurray01

Windows 10 certainly has a long way to go before I will even think about trying it, but I'm keen to see how it progresses based on others experiences.

Personally I'm still more than satisfied with Windows Vista which I am running on my desktop PC. I have bought a laptop recently though that has Windows 7 on it, just waiting on it arriving.

Although I like to try out new technology, I'm really not that interested in actually owning it. I'll run a system that is 10 years old as long as it still serves me well.

Ric

Ric

Windows 10 certainly has a long way to go before I will even think about trying it, but I'm keen to see how it progresses based on others experiences.

Personally I'm still more than satisfied with Windows Vista which I am running on my desktop PC. I have bought a laptop recently though that has Windows 7 on it, just waiting on it arriving.

Although I like to try out new technology, I'm really not that interested in actually owning it. I'll run a system that is 10 years old as long as it still serves me well.

I really like windows 10. I just recently got this laptop and it had windows 8.1 and I like the 8.1 but it came with a free update to 10 and it was worth the wait.
I had the Vista and XP both and I can tell you that windows 10 is so far a head of them it isn't funny. It even has the 8.1 beat IMO. If your running the Vista you can't get the Free 10 update, as far as I know it's only free for 7 and 8/8.1 and only for one year from the date of its release.

The problem with computers is just like mine when I purchased it, it came with windows 8.1 but by the time I paid for it left the store and got it home it was already outdated and the 10 update was coming available in the next month.

Bob E

Bob E

Well I'm a sucker.
Windows 10 is slower than 7 even though they claim it's faster. Start up is much slower and when you shut down, the screen shuts off within a couple seconds but the computer keeps running for several minutes. WTF? Apparently there are no programs anymore, everything is an app. Most of these connect to some online store. Many of them don't have the option to uninstall (xbox, weather, store, sports, photos, people, one drive, one note, movies & tv, maps, groove music, cortana, money, get started ...). When I first downloaded 10 I had no sound. The driver that came with 10 wasn't working I had to switch back to the left over driver from 7. Which promptly threw up a warning telling me this may cause my computer to crash, but I have sound now. Flash videos don't play for crap, I've tried updating the flash player, but it made no difference. Play back is blocky and choppy, it is not my connection. It may be the left over sound driver? 10 has already downloaded about 8 updates, and you cant shut off updates anymore. Security essentials is no longer a thing. So, we are back to paying for a virus scan. I get the distinct impression that they are trying to do away with a lot of the basic (or what used to be considered basic) user controls. Some stuff has become difficult to find, like the control panel. There is no longer a direct path to get to it. When you click the agree button not only is there that BS everybody uses now about how they can change the agreement whenever they want but you also wave your right to sue microsoft in court. Not that I plan to, but dang Every time I unplug the ac adapter I get a runtime error for atibtmon.exe. I looked it up apparently that is what dims the screen when you pull the ac plug and it was a problem with windows 8. I guess it's still a problem with windows 10.
I guess I'll let it grow on me for another a week or two, but right now my finger is hovering over the go back to windows 7 button, which is only available for a month after the download date.

Ric

Ric

Well I'm a sucker.
Windows 10 is slower than 7 even though they claim it's faster. Start up is much slower and when you shut down, the screen shuts off within a couple seconds but the computer keeps running for several minutes. WTF? Apparently there are no programs anymore, everything is an app. Most of these connect to some online store. Many of them don't have the option to uninstall (xbox, weather, store, sports, photos, people, one drive, one note, movies & tv, maps, groove music, cortana, money, get started ...). When I first downloaded 10 I had no sound. The driver that came with 10 wasn't working I had to switch back to the left over driver from 7. Which promptly threw up a warning telling me this may cause my computer to crash, but I have sound now. Flash videos don't play for crap, I've tried updating the flash player, but it made no difference. Play back is blocky and choppy, it is not my connection. It may be the left over sound driver? 10 has already downloaded about 8 updates, and you cant shut off updates anymore. Security essentials is no longer a thing. So, we are back to paying for a virus scan. I get the distinct impression that they are trying to do away with a lot of the basic (or what used to be considered basic) user controls. Some stuff has become difficult to find, like the control panel. There is no longer a direct path to get to it. When you click the agree button not only is there that BS everybody uses now about how they can change the agreement whenever they want but you also wave your right to sue microsoft in court. Not that I plan to, but dang Every time I unplug the ac adapter I get a runtime error for atibtmon.exe. I looked it up apparently that is what dims the screen when you pull the ac plug and it was a problem with windows 8. I guess it's still a problem with windows 10.
I guess I'll let it grow on me for another a week or two, but right now my finger is hovering over the go back to windows 7 button, which is only available for a month after the download date.

I've never encountered any of those problems you're talking about but I upgraded from 8.1. Do you have a Touch Screen? What kind of memory do you have and what processor are you running? All my updates are done automatically so I don't know how many I got. The thing I do is use the CCleaner daily along with auto Optimizing daily.

The problems your talking about are problems I had or encountered when I ran the HP with windows 7. As far as the control panel goes it's not the same as the old style. You can go to your settings by clicking the windows icon in the task bar at the bottom left corner, it will have most anything you need to have.

As far as the screen going dim when you unplug the ac adapter, that has nothing to do with any window program you run, that's a power savings feature built in to the computer to save battery power. Every computer I have does the same thing, even the Nextbook does the same.

Something that you may want to check are the system requirements for windows 10 and make sure your computer will even run the 10. Just because you have windows 7 doesn't mean you have all the requirements for 10.

Bob E

Bob E

And my computer just crashed on me for the first time while I was trying out the new edge browser.
no touch screen, 286 GB, 3 GB ram, AMD V140.
I switched it to notify me when it's installing updates. I don't like automatic, I like to know whats happening.
I never had these problems on my Toshiba until I switched from 7 to 10
The control panel has more stuff on it than the settings menu
from what I understand atibtmon.exe is the execution program that dims the screen and it is encountering an error with windows 10 that it never encountered with 7...
My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

cpurvis

cpurvis

...My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

My thoughts exactly. I'm sick to death of Microsoft and Windows, the whole never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades and problems. I want off.

Ric

Ric

And my computer just crashed on me for the first time while I was trying out the new edge browser.
I switched it to notify me when it's installing updates. I don't like automatic, I like to know whats happening.
from what I understand atibtmon.exe is the execution program that dims the screen and it is encountering an error with windows 10 that it never encountered with 7...
My next computer is going to be a mac, I don't care if it makes me look like some kind of a hipster doofus :cool: windows just keeps getting worse imho

By the sounds my guess is that your computer doesn't meet the requirements to run Windows 10. 286 GB is a small HD and 3GB of memory isn't a lot of memory. My guess is that you are running windows 7 and you should have downloaded windows 7SP1, there latest version to run 10. People who are using the 8/8.1 aren't having the issues to my knowledge.

I think the people who are running the old XP and Vista and the early 7 by what your encountering are going to have problems if they try to download windows 10. Microsoft themselves have said they don't recommend the 10 for those OS

Bob E

Bob E

According to microsoft I meet all of the requirements and then some
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

I've had service pack 1 installed for a while btw

Ric

Ric

According to microsoft I meet all of the requirements and then some
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

I've had service pack 1 installed for a while btw

If you have the windows 10 upgrade go to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the window icon. then click on the file explorer and then on the left side of the page click on This PC and it will tell you how much space you have on your hard drive. Can I ask did you reserve your 10 download from Microsoft and let them check your computer for upgradeability and download it or did you do it yourself. I ask because I know they said it was available if people didn't want to wait but I couldn't find it in any of the stores.

I'd also recommend that anyone who is thinking about Windows 10 read the site/url you gave completely, it has a lot of worth while information like....

The upgradeability of a device includes factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility, and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10.

Bob E

Bob E

208 GB free space. Yes this was the free upgrade through microsoft. My computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go.
Didn't you get a file explorer icon pinned to your taskbar or a this pc shortcut on your desktop?

Ric

Ric

208 GB free space. Yes this was the free upgrade through microsoft. My computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go.
Didn't you get a file explorer icon pinned to your taskbar or a this pc shortcut on your desktop?

Yeah I got Icon and it opens the file explorer, settings, power and apps all in the Task Bar. If your computer was checked for upgrade ability, and everything was good to go I don't understand why your having all the problems your having? Question.. Do you Optimize your computer regularly?

I just came back from Staples and they do have some deals on computers going. Most everything there selling has Windows 10. They have a deal on a Toshiba, it has the I7 processor 1TB hard drive and 12 GB memory for $599.99 that's without the Touch screen with the TS it's $649.99.

Ric

Ric

My thoughts exactly. I'm sick to death of Microsoft and Windows, the whole never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades and problems. I want off.

The problems people are having with windows 10 are the same as I'm having and that's understanding how to run or operate the system. It's definitely different than 7 or 8, even finding things like your control panel and what it looks like is totally different. The never-ending merry-go-round of upgrades is something that they said would be happening for a time so anyone should expect that to happen with a new operating system.

I mean really when people first got there smart phones how much different were they than the old flip phone and every series of smart phones that hit the market are more complicated than the last but once you understand how they work and how much more they do there great things to have.

B

bertsmobile1

Not as good as they used to be, but once you get used to everything working backwards to what you have been used to you will wonder why you ever bothered with Windoze.
I still have my first Mac ( Quadra running an o7o chip ) and use it regularly.
If possible dump all of the Microsloth stuff. Open office works a lot faster & better than Word & will read almost any document format. the lattest version actually reads my old Quark articles.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

10 takes up alot more HD room than 7. That's probably why certain computers run slower with it. If it were safe to do, I'd go back to using Windows 95 - 2000, so that I could easily look up browsed- sites and images and be able to run my old scanner, printer and other peripheral gadgets. Since it's nearly impossible to install the old software on a computer already corrupted by 7 through 10, unless you're a programmer, as mentioned here several times already, stretch out your wallet a little wider and just get a MAC. The extra cost eventually windfalls, when others are buying Windows software, because Microsoft discontinues support for all previous versions

I

ironhead3fan

Even MAC computers get outdated over time. My 2009 Macbook quit updating the O/S about 3 years ago.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

It might depend on the model. Over here, I can get the cheapest for around 900€, locally. They go for about double that, for the expensive ones. Visually, I don't see that much of a difference, to justify the price, unless it has either gaming capabilities or guaranteed unlimited updates. While driving through Luxemburg on the way down from the Netherlands, I stopped by a sort of duty-free shop which featured Mac Books for around 1200€ which advertised unlimited updates.
The only reason as to why I want a Mac is because their products are usually predictable. You pay more than for a Microsoft product. But, you pay only once.
By the way, the new chairman of Apple seems annoying, lately. He's planning on altering Apple products for the purpose of filtering out opinions of which "he" doesen't find suitable

Boobala

Boobala

Might want to breeze through this article ......

This site, (How to Geek) is petty much on top of all things of Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-10’s-october-update-returns-promises-not-to-delete-your-files/

B

bertsmobile1

The caveat for running older macs is browser updates.
No OS 9 computer can run anything higher than HTML 2.
HTML 2 is actually 4 times faster than the current version of HTML because it does not need to load miles of stuff to allow things like transparency or a colour pallet greater than the 256 web safe colours.
Macs using the RISC chipset can also only run older browsers and are limited to HTML 3 sites and can not make SSL connections any more because the encription changed last year.
So macs do go out of date.
The good thing is all of the updates are backwards compatiable so a new OS does not mean you have to go out & buy upgrades for all of your apps.
OTOH if you run linux on your mac then usually an upgrade patch for most popular apps will come on line because geeks hate being forced to upgrade to a far more complicated app with features that no one understands & even fewer actually use.

Fat_Bollocks

Fat_Bollocks

Getting back to topic, I looked up getting a Windows 98 OS cd with the product number, from Amazon and ebay. I was astonished as to how much demand there was for these and even for the computers running on that software, judging by the prices they were asking. The software was even just as expensive as Windows 10, in some cases. I suppose, there are users who simply refuse to renew their periphery devices of which were no longer compatible, starting with XP's programmed obsolescense campaign.
Getting back to Mac, since Steve Jobs no longer runs the company, there have been shennanigans going on which are cause for uncertainy. One being Battery Gate: https://www.barrons.com/articles/ap...ay-hurt-iphone-sales-says-barclays-1514994135
It has been also claimed that Apple has been periodically introducing I-phones, without the innovations expected from a new product. I was considering getting a MacBook or at least the hub to connect to my present keyboard, mouse and monitor. But, since reading this, I have also lost confidence in the company, as far as their stationary products are concerned

cpurvis

cpurvis

Windows 10 question.

After a recent 'involuntary' upgrade, my system went from booting in 15 to 30 seconds to now it takes 15 MINUTES to boot.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks.

tom3

tom3

I'd suspect a memory problem. How much ram do you have in that machine. Lots of newer computers seem to cheap out on memory these days. I'm sure not a fan of anything win8 and later, almost unworkable with anything other than browsing the web seems like.

tom3

tom3

And I suspect a lot of these 'upgrades' are little more than information grabs from your computer to sell to marketers. My tinfoil hat is on.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I'd suspect a memory problem. How much ram do you have in that machine. Lots of newer computers seem to cheap out on memory these days. I'm sure not a fan of anything win8 and later, almost unworkable with anything other than browsing the web seems like.

8 GB.

tom3

tom3

That should be plenty I'd think. Might do a memory test to make sure there are no dead zones in it. On start type in mdsched.exe and follow prompts.

cpurvis

cpurvis

That should be plenty I'd think. Might do a memory test to make sure there are no dead zones in it. On start type in mdsched.exe and follow prompts.

Found the problem and fixed it.

Windows 10 has a feature called "Fast Startup." It's in the Power section of Control Panel. It will not work if the "hibernate" button is not also checked. I selected the hibernate button and it is now restored to it's original 10-15 seconds start up.

Something other than me unchecked that box.

MikeWaars

MikeWaars

Windows 10 is hands down one of the best operating systems I've ever used. The sleek interface, user-friendly design, and impressive performance make it a winner in my book. I'm constantly amazed by the updates and new features that Microsoft brings to the table.

LilyGrant

LilyGrant

I've been using Windows 10 for quite a while now, and I must say it's one of the best operating systems out there! If you're planning to install it, you're in for a treat. It's user-friendly and packed with great features. For those who are planning to install it, I highly recommend checking out some excellent resources where you can buy a cheap windows key. It's a great way to get your hands on a genuine copy without breaking the bank. Happy upgrading, and enjoy the fantastic Windows 10 experience!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

whateve y'all do stay away from Win 11 for as long as possible. i hate the format.

B

bertsmobile1

Make the effort to instal Linux and use it for 6 months till you get used to it .
Because it is different to Windows it take a little while to get muscle memory happening so you stop closing windows in place of resizing them .
Once you get used to using Linux you will understand just how much a fundamentially flawed OS Windows really is .
One step better would be to run it on a Mac computer so it is running under UNIX and not DOS