Export thread

Will only run with the choke on all the way.

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Ok, I'm stumped. I picked up a Craftsman GTV 16 garden tractor with a Briggs engine (model 402417) to restore. I believe it's an 81 based on the code. The previous owner told me that it would not run unless the choke was fully open. I overhauled the carb and it was nasty (I can't believe it could even run like that) but I cleaned and inspected it properly and reset the jets to the proper baseline setting. Installed it and it did just what he said, it runs real good with the choke on all the way but start to reduce the choke at all and it just flat dies. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

EngineMan

EngineMan

If you are 100% sure about the cleaning of the carb, then check the seal's (gaskets) between carb and engine. working on full choke, its having too much air/fuel mixture.

R

Rivets

When you cleaned the carb, if you did not replace the float needle and pump diaphragm, that would probably be your problem.

EngineMan

EngineMan

In his own words..."I overhauled the carb" so surely he did...but then...!

R

Rivets

Then the float level may be set too low. I never know what overhaul or cleaned on this forum means.

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I should have specified that I normally would replace all of the gaskets, FP diaphram, needle and seat, o-ring, etc, however as filthy as the carb was, all of the gaskets, etc. looked like they had just been put in. I can't imagine how someone could install those without cleaning the carb but he must have done so. The needle and seat did not look new but I looked it over with a magnifying glass and it still looked perfect. I will go back in and replace all of those just to be sure. Thanks

Fish

Fish

I am assuming that it has normal hi/lo mixture screws, and not a shutoff solenoid. What happens if you richen up the mixture
settings, does this make it better? Say start at an extra 1/2 turn ccw on each screw? Move that way in 1/2 turn increments
and detail any changes you observe.

Fish

Fish

The part of working on these that usually gets put back together wrong is the fuel pump.

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I'll try adjusting the mixture screws first before I pull the carb again. Thanks

EngineMan

EngineMan

I'll try adjusting the mixture screws first before I pull the carb again. Thanks

Did you not preset the mix/screws after the overhauling of the carburetor..?

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Yes, I set both at 1.5 turns out.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Yes, I set both at 1.5 turns out.

OK thats fine..:thumbsup:

R

Rivets

Viton tip float needle can look great, but it will swell and shut off the fuel to early, producing a lean fuel mixture that adjustments will not solve.

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I've ordered a carb/fuel pump kit and when it arrives I'm going to replace everything just to be sure.

Fish

Fish

You haven't even tried to adjust it? Just curious.

Fish

Fish

Viton tip float needle can look great, but it will swell and shut off the fuel to early, producing a lean fuel mixture that adjustments will not solve.

I am sure that there is a reason that they are called "adjustment" screws......

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

By the way "Lawnpro", is a viton tip needle the one with the rubber tip? If so, yes, mine has that type. Ok, here is what I just did. I started it up and noticed that it would not throttle down. The governor lever assembly was mounted wrong and was not letting the throttle idle. I removed it and installed it properly then started it up and was able to push the choke off completely and it kept running at idle just fine, however, as I push the throttle up, it will increase to what I am guessing is about half throttle and then it dies. When it dies, the carb sounds like something just opened up and air is either being sucked in or out of the carb? I adjusted both screws out (ccw) a half turn at a time until they were both out 5 turns. No improvement. Then I went back to the 1.5 turn baseline and did the same thing but leaning it out (cw) and still no change till I got to only a half turn out and it died. Seems like the only option left is to put all new parts in when I receive the carb kit. What do you guys think?

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I'm sorry, I see now that your handle is "Rivits", not lawnpro.

Fish

Fish

Error

Just take out number #117 first, and clean out the hole real good with a piece of wire and install.....

It is easy to do and free to try......

Fish

Fish

It says error, but the link to the parts blowup still works....

Fish

Fish

let's try it this way..

Attachments

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I pulled out the needle valve (117) and stuck a wire in to clean it out and reinstalled and the results were the same. But that's what I expected because when i cleaned the carb I cleaned it, then soaked it in carb cleaner, then blew out every orofice with compressed air and used a wire as well, so I doubt there is a speck of anything left in it. It also has a brand new inline fuel filter installed. But thanks for the suggestion.

Fish

Fish

I pulled out the needle valve (117) and stuck a wire in to clean it out and reinstalled and the results were the same. But that's what I expected because when i cleaned the carb I cleaned it, then soaked it in carb cleaner, then blew out every orofice with compressed air and used a wire as well, so I doubt there is a speck of anything left in it. It also has a brand new inline fuel filter installed. But thanks for the suggestion.

How did you "pull" it out?

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

I unscrewed it (ccw)

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Sorry I took so long to update this but I received and installed the carb kit and ended up with the same results. Then I adjusted both adjustment screws, testing each setting as before with the same results. The only thing that I did not replace was the metal seat (needle and seat). So after the above experimentation I went back in to replace it. The instructions said to tap the old seat, thread a screw into it and pull it out. I could not get it to budge. I hadn't dinged up the seat, just the sides when I threaded it and the needle still moves freely so I put it back together and reinstalled it and ended up with the same results. And since you're wondering, yes, I am positive that the fuel pump is put together properly and now has all new diaphrams, gaskets, springs, etc. I have tried adjusting the tang on the float that pushes the needle up into the seat slightly both ways, again with the same results. They won't sell just the upper carb body, they say you have to buy the whole carb at $155 bucks! I don't think so... Anyone have any better ideas on how to remove the old seat?

Still scratching my head on this one!

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Ok, I was able to remove the old seat and installed the new one. I referenced a shop manual that said to adjust the tang on the float so that the float is level with the carb body when held upside down. I did that and then reinstalled it on the tractor. Same results! When I advance the throttle to the point where it starts to die, if I pull on the choke, it will keep running. A choke increases the vacume which sucks in more fuel so I'm thinking that it's not getting enough fuel and I again tried backing out the needle valve a half turn at a time till it was 6 turns out and wouldn't run anymore. I did replace the inline fuel filter with one that is physically smaller than the previous one. Is it possible that it is restricting the fuel flow? Any ideas?

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Update, today I removed all of the fuel lines and fittings. They were partially blocked. After using an air compressor and a garden hose, then the compressor again, I got them completely cleaned out. The fitting at the bottom of the fuel tank was pretty bad but I replaced it. It started up instantly! It had been hard to start before. But, when I advanced the throttle, it tried to die just like before. I adjusted the screws like before but got the same results. I also drained the tank and put in fresh fuel. I guess I'll go back and start over from the beginning.

Fish

Fish

What about the jet that required the allen head wrench, what size wrench was it?

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Hold the phone! I never ran across one like that. Do you know where it is suppose to be? I didn't see it on the parts diagram for the carb. I'll go take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up.

Kcsguide

Kcsguide

Ok, problem is solved. I removed the carb and completely disassembled it again. As I again ran a wire through every port and blew them out with compressed air, I removed the needle valve, (high speed air screw) and looked in the hole with a flashlight, there was no hole! I don't know how I missed it the first two times but it was so packed with dirt that I had to work it with a wire for quite a while before I broke through. I finished cleaning it out, reassembled it, installed it on the tractor and it now runs fine. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and advice.