Export thread

Why NOT to use Seafoam in your mower oil.

S

slomo

Seafoam is a powerful solvent. Can we all agree on this? Removes carbon pretty good yes??

Solvents break down oil. Everyone still agree?

So to me, Seafoam will shear down the let's call it SAE30 oil to an SAE 20 or SAE10, right from the initial pour in. So now your oil is waaaay too thin from the manufacturers recommended oil grade (SAE 30). Everyone follow the logic?

And you know how most all American's like to over-do stuff....... We pour in a little "extra". Shoot, this stuff is the cat's meow, I'll use the ENTIRE BOTTLE. o_Oo_O

Let's not even get into mower engines that call for multi-grade oils - even worse condition than above.

So now for the guys that will chime in like "I've been using Seafoam for 40 years, never a problem". "Buy it by the tanker load". Yes, you are HERE LOOKING FOR HELP on your 4 smoke mower engine. "Why does my neighbor call 911 when I start my mower?" LOL

slomo

I have stated in previous emails, I do use Seafoam. But not in the crankcase. That should be pretty clear, at least on my end anyhow.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I use nothing in the crankcase, except for a good oil containing Zinc. In my personal SxS i run 15w40 rotella. as for other oil for changes i use the manufacturer recommended weight for the Farenheit temp range & Kawasaki K-Tech oil or Kinetix. Sometimes the owner will purchase the oil and filter and i just do the labor.

In my New Kawasaki, I only run the K-Tech semi-syn 20w-50, because of warranty.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Wow!!!! So all this time i've been hurting my engines? Can't really argue with logic.

S

slomo

Wow!!!! So all this time i've been hurting my engines? Can't really argue with logic.
Unless you are using CNG or propane, I would say yes.

Ever pull a head off a 10 year old engine? Lots of carbon and lots of bore gouges from that carbon.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I don't use any of them but Seafoam makes several different kinds of additives. Some for fuel; some for crankcase.

350Rocket

I've used it with success in a fuel system but I wouldn't put it in oil unless it was a known sludged up engine, adding it briefly before an oil change. Even then, it's risky, but if the engine is no good in the first place, sometimes you have nothing to lose.

I'm not sure how they get away with labelling it as safe to add to engine oil. Like you say, it's diluting it. Nothing required in your oil except oil.

M

MParr

I’m sure that some people are dumb enough to put that stuff in their crankcase.

mikehouse

mikehouse

I've been putting even in my 50:1 fuel mix.

mikehouse

mikehouse

If you say that's not good either,i'll surely stop.I will say this,i've been doing all these thimgs for quite a while with no noticeable problems,but i have had my eyes opened.Thanks everyone.

350Rocket

If you say that's not good either,i'll surely stop.I will say this,i've been doing all these thimgs for quite a while with no noticeable problems,but i have had my eyes opened.Thanks everyone.
It's definitely not a good lubricant. There is really no use for it other than as a cleaner.

S

slomo

Think about what you are doing. Pouring a powerful solvent in your 2 smoke oil and gas mix. Solvents break down oils. From the initial pour in, your 2 smoke oil just got thinned out. Also has gasoline in there to assist with the party.