White's Ranger Tiller

who922

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ii have a White's Ranger 3.5 Tiller with a 3.5 HP B&S engine. It starts up right away (first time used in over two years). However, when I engage the tiller, the tines don't turn. It worked fine when I parked it. Any ideas here? Talk about low information on the internet, this one is almost no information!! Thanks in advance for the help!Tiller_1.JPGTiller_3.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ii have a White's Ranger 3.5 Tiller with a 3.5 HP B&S engine. It starts up right away (first time used in over two years). However, when I engage the tiller, the tines don't turn. It worked fine when I parked it. Any ideas here? Talk about low information on the internet, this one is almost no information!! Thanks in advance for the help!View attachment 29743View attachment 29744

Without really trying to state the obvious.
Are you sure that the drive belts are working
If they are in good order then most likley the gear selector is rusted solid onto its shaft.
The tynes should also have shear pins so check if the axle is turning.

who922

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 2nd post looks like another language that I can't read or translate.

I just started taking it apart.
-The belt was broken and was very old. (I was hoping that was it)
-The pulley or the tines will not turn at all....not even budge.
-I took the big piece off where I could get to the bearing and it's fine.
-I need to take the tines off to look inside (I guess) but the two end bolts will not come out! (The inside bolts did) Even after hitting them with a hammer.

Any ideas how I might get the bolts off? (nuts came off...I don't have a torch) I tried a sledge.Tiller_4.JPG
What could be causing it not to move at all?

Thanks!!!

BTW My neighbor came by and he said that White's was a store brand sold by Western Auto.

who922

Forum Newbie
Threads
Reviving this thread. So I got it to work last time. It looks like the belt was the problem. I did a complete overhaul and cleaning since I had it apart. Now I had the same thing again. It works fine until it hits the ground, but then it stops. I took it apart again and the belt is kind of chewed on both sides. I'm not sure what could be doing that. Ideas?IMG_5636 (1).jpg

who922

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm wondering if maybe the belt should be on the other side of that arm on the rounded side. I can't find a manual anywhere.Tiller.PNG

NorthBama

Threads
if the idler pulley is flat it applies tension on back side of the belt if V- pulley on inside of belt.

who922

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I figured it out. I went to a mower place to get a new belt and I showed him the picture (he'd only heard of one of these models, never actually seen one). It was my fault from when I rebuilt it before. That arm on the pulley moves. So when it is engaged, it has to be flat against the belt. I had it at an angle so it was chewing the belt. It's still really quirky and loud and uses oil, but it got my garden tilled!! Maybe this will help someone else someday since this is a zero information machine!! Thanks for the forum!

Planeguy1968

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ii have a White's Ranger 3.5 Tiller with a 3.5 HP B&S engine. It starts up right away (first time used in over two years). However, when I engage the tiller, the tines don't turn. It worked fine when I parked it. Any ideas here? Talk about low information on the internet, this one is almost no information!! Thanks in advance for the help!View attachment 29743View attachment 29744
Hey I'm Neil.iihave several of them. Email me at planeguy1968@gmail.com been a small engine mech 30+ years I'll walk you through it whatever you need! Thanks