white gt 2550 alternator problem

larrybdl

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a White Outdoor Gt 2550 , The alternator light is on when the tractor is running. does any one have a wiring diagram of this or can tell me how to trouble shoot the problem

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have a White Outdoor Gt 2550 , The alternator light is on when the tractor is running. does any one have a wiring diagram of this or can tell me how to trouble shoot the problem

Welcome to LMF....not sure how mechanical you are, but first, does your tractor start when you use the key? Alt. lite comes on to let you know the battery is not charging, but if your tractor starts ok the lite is probably giving you the wrong signal. Check and clean the battery cables, if they are loose or corroded that will often be a situation that will trigger the alt. lite as the alt. will not charge the battery if it has a poor connection. You do not specify exactly what the problem is, I used to have a JD 318 that gave me the alt. lite when I turned on the headlites, becuz I replaced headlites with driving lites that sucked a lot more juice and alt. was unable to handle the load. Do you have an electric clutch that operates the PTO for a mid mount mower ....details please....!!!!

larrybdl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to LMF....not sure how mechanical you are, but first, does your tractor start when you use the key? Alt. lite comes on to let you know the battery is not charging, but if your tractor starts ok the lite is probably giving you the wrong signal. Check and clean the battery cables, if they are loose or corroded that will often be a situation that will trigger the alt. lite as the alt. will not charge the battery if it has a poor connection. You do not specify exactly what the problem is, I used to have a JD 318 that gave me the alt. lite when I turned on the headlites, becuz I replaced headlites with driving lites that sucked a lot more juice and alt. was unable to handle the load. Do you have an electric clutch that operates the PTO for a mid mount mower ....details please....!!!!

I bought this tractor used and am trying to spruce it up a little. it has a electronic clutch, no lights it seems they are disconnected and missing, i might tackle those later. The tractor runs and starts fine i just see the light on and want to fix it if i could trouble shoot the wiring. it has a 25hp B&S engine with a few issues also. I plan on checking the voltage on the battery with the mower running and not to see if it shows a charge going into the battery.
On the engine part it seems to run fine, here is what I posted on another forum to explain where i am in regards to the engine problems. I read the following post.

The engine has started sucking oil into the air cleaner can, (Vent tube runs into the air cleaner next to the carburetor), soaking the air filter element, and causing the engine to choke itself and die.

I figure that there must be an air inlet valve of some sort, venting the crankcase, in another location that has become clogged allowing the air cleaner vent tube to suck oil.

When I remove the air cleaner, the engine runs fine and seems to have full power, and so I am thinking that the motor is not seriously damaged.

If I am correct in assuming that there is another vent which may be clogged, I'd like to learn where to look for that vent and how to go about cleaning or replacing it.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Below is my inquiry to the above post. hope i haven't made this too long or confusing? Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi i have a similar problem with a white gt 2550. 25hp B&S . i changed the oil with 5w20 semi synthetic. It was puffing smoke quite often but not always. i took off the air cleaner cover just like you did and it ran better and did not puff as much. i then read about sticking with straight 30w oil so i changed the oil to that. this is a OHV engine so i checked the valves and they were at .015 and they are suposed t be at .004 to.006, so i set them. now i ran it some then checked the compression and that was about 140 each cylinder which i assume is good. mowed the lawn for a while and everything seemed well, even with the air filter cover on it. i did pull the plugs after that which i had just cleaned before the mowing and seen that one cylinder plug was black with carbon so i'm trying to find out how to correct that. I am writing you for a follow up on your suspicions of the breather vent. was you able to make any progress there?

Also update even though i did not see the engine puff very much it seems the oil was down about 1/2qt after about 1 1/2 hours light mowing. very confusing to me if i'm doing anything positive here .

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello & WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :)