Export thread

Whats wrong with buying a Sears/Craftsman?

kermit911

kermit911

In the past couple of days I have been reading a lot of posts. I came across a couple posts that didn't care for Sears/Craftsman mowers. Just curious on why or how Craftsman got a bad name. I have a lot of craftsman and there stuff has never FAILED me. I have had a problem or two but mostly it was my fault.

If you where to buy a lawnmower today, what brand would you go with?

B

benski

It all boils down to budget, as always...:frown: My personal favorites are Simplicity, the John Deere stuff that starts at about $3500, and Kubota. None of these choices are for the financially faint of heart, but they will typically put a smile on your face every time you use it. Just my $.02.:smile:

R

rron1229

I think for the money Craftsman is a great mower. I am on my second rider since I have been living on my 2 1/2 acre lawn. The first one was used and I have used it for about 11 years, and this spring I finally bought a new 288130 46 in. Agreed they are not a John Deere or Cub Cadet but there is a big price difference. My vote on a dependable reasonably priced mower , is Craftsman. Hope this helps .

L

LandN

In the past couple of days I have been reading a lot of posts. I came across a couple posts that didn't care for Sears/Craftsman mowers. Just curious on why or how Craftsman got a bad name. I have a lot of craftsman and there stuff has never FAILED me. I have had a problem or two but mostly it was my fault.

I have owned and used craftsman mowers and leaf blowers and they worked well, but i also experienced their 'mobile home service' and that was some very good service and on time.:biggrin: i think maybe some people expect to much from a homeowner type mower,and then when it can't deliver what they think it should.....thats when the stories start up.

reynoldston

reynoldston

There is nothing wrong with a Craftsman mower. The cost is the difference. A Craftsman is a cheaper mower to buy and after a few years of hard use you throw it away. You pay a lot more for (in my case) a Ferris and it will last for years of hard use. Now you will still have repairs on both mower but less on the pricier one.

kermit911

kermit911

Now that makes cents. It's all about the money. I have always wanted a beast of a mower, like a three or four cylinder monster! Even something to fix up, buy cheep and fix up, have fun. :smile:

tankdriver

tankdriver

I like the Craftsman PGT I purchased. It has done everything I have asked it to do, and done it very well. A lot of it is brand preference. Some people love Ford, some hate them. To each his own.....:smile:

rekees

rekees

There's nothing wrong with buying a Craftsman. I have two walk behinds and 2 riders. They are basically medium priced and medium quality. However I no longer like to do business with Sears because in recent years they have become more interested in selling their credit card than merchandise.

reddragon

reddragon

craftsman has always been a good value [the ratio of quality and price]..but remember ...mowers have low resale value....so you can pick up near new ones at a substantial discount :thumbsup:

B

benski

Yes, indeed. My Sears dealer has a couple of brand new mowers going for about $100.00 more than 2 year old comparable machines are being sold for on Craigslist. Warranty included, and all that.:cool:

E

earthworm

It all boils down to budget, as always...:frown: My personal favorites are Simplicity, the John Deere stuff that starts at about $3500, and Kubota. None of these choices are for the financially faint of heart, but they will typically put a smile on your face every time you use it. Just my $.02.:smile:
IMO, that smile:biggrin:is priceless.
Sears has gone from good quality/good value to good value, minimal to zero quality.
I am impressed with the selection., but the salesmen are at best,pesty; at worst, obnoxious.
No smiles at Sears:mad:

tankdriver

tankdriver

Blame our self´s. Would you pay $2,000 more for a mower than one at Lowes or Home Depot that "looks" the same? Same engine, same size deck, same size tires? 95% of the people do not care that the Sears one (not saying they do now)has a 8 gauge frame and the others or 14 gauge(heck the higher number is better anyway right) and the Sears has 14 roller US made bearings, and the others are 12 roller made in China bearings. They are round and look the same, and they turn the same. Who needs a 3 point hitch, I just want to cut the grass, so who needs ground engaging transmission. A transmission is a transmission; they're all the same.......

I could go on and on. To try to stay in business, they have to have a price that is competitive. The cheap ones do what 95% of the people need them to do, or they would not sell. Sears this year sold a $6,000.00 Simplicity and no one purchased them. They lasted 1/2 a season. Because they did not sell. If they were selling, they would still have them for sale. People now will not pay for Quality; they just grip because it is not there.

B

Boonstein

NO one could have said it better than Tankdriver. Every one says they want the best, but when you tell them that the best cost $8000.00 they back up.:wink:

E

earthworm

There's nothing wrong with buying a Craftsman. I have two walk behinds and 2 riders. They are basically medium priced and medium quality. However I no longer like to do business with Sears because in recent years they have become more interested in selling their credit card than merchandise.
The truth, IMO, and its my experience as well, is spoken here.
This is where the Sears salesman earns his money, here and the damned extended warranties.
Sears has a great selection and very competitive prices...
They can be much better by getting rid of all the salesmen, allowing the consumers to relax, browse, and try the product...also no more sales...just an everyday reasonable price.
Respect the consumer...this would be a new one !
Also, drop the second language business, just be honest and open...
Treat the customer respectfully...he is not a "mark" to be taken advantage of....
Sears, and all others have asked the manufacturers to cut "excess" quality to the bone....
Risky!

E

earthworm

Blame our selfエs. Would you pay $2,000 more for a mower than one at Lowes or Home Depot that "looks" the same? Same engine, same size deck, same size tires? 95% of the people do not care that the Sears one (not saying they do now)has a 8 gauge frame and the others or 14 gauge(heck the higher number is better anyway right) and the Sears has 14 roller US made bearings, and the others are 12 roller made in China bearings. They are round and look the same, and they turn the same. Who needs a 3 point hitch, I just want to cut the grass, so who needs ground engaging transmission. A transmission is a transmission; they're all the same.......

I could go on and on. To try to stay in business, they have to have a price that is competitive. The cheap ones do what 95% of the people need them to do, or they would not sell. Sears this year sold a $6,000.00 Simplicity and no one purchased them. They lasted 1/2 a season. Because they did not sell. If they were selling, they would still have them for sale. People now will not pay for Quality; they just grip because it is not there.

Selling Simplicity at Sears is akin to Ford selling Mercedes Benz....Or Walmart trying to sell good quality...
And the people do bring grief upon themselves for not being knowledgeable about features and quality.
Cup holders...indeed....
Metal guage...requires knowledge...the manufacturer should state clearly what this is and what it means..
Treat the consumer with respect.

say a deck metal of 1.5 mm thickness, not this silly old guage business.

wjjones

wjjones

There is nothing wrong with a Craftsman mower. The cost is the difference. A Craftsman is a cheaper mower to buy and after a few years of hard use you throw it away. You pay a lot more for (in my case) a Ferris and it will last for years of hard use. Now you will still have repairs on both mower but less on the pricier one.

Well said reynoldston i agree, and the pricier mowers have pricier repairs. I have used both, and a good commercial mower is great. I have noticed that Husqvarna has made a good up-grade on their tractors by installing a fab deck on some new models.. I do like my sears ys4500, and i dont show it any mercy but it keeps coming back for more..

T

T J Blazek

I owned 2 Craftsman riders;'01 and a '03. Both had the K motor. One ('03) threw a rod at the end of last years mowing. The other is still barely moving. Maintenance was kept up; blades; belts etc. Only complaints I had they were slower; turning radius wasn't as sharp as I wanted; and as mentioned by others parts. Anything other than blades or belts had to be ordered. Their field service (now) is contracted out by a company that also does the box stores. I saw the quick turn model ;but could not demo it. Went with the CC ZTR 50"; no complaints so far. Price for all 3 was within $100.

AmericanTurf

I can't believe all the people who buy crap *** push mowers. You could not pay me to own a craftsmen. Thought this was a professional lawn care forum. Haha!!!!
I still believe push mowers are obsolete.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I can't believe all the people who buy crap *** push mowers. You could not pay me to own a craftsmen. Thought this was a professional lawn care forum. Haha!!!!
I still believe push mowers are obsolete.

I don't know how I feel about Craftsman lawn tractors/push mowers. Personally I wouldn't buy one, but some people say they only stop working when you don't perform maintenance on it, but others say they didn't work good from the start. :confused2: I know I would look for something a little more durable, like Honda or Snapper (there are many others), and I would buy it from a dealer.

But K-Pro-Mowing.....since you said you still believe push mowers are obsolete, think about this. Say you have a yard that has this much grass (see picture).
small lawn.jpg (http://blissfullydomestic.com/wp-content/uploads/hgtv-outdoor-room.jpg)

You would use a zero-turn on that lawn? Or say that WAS your own lawn. You would buy a zero-turn to maintain that once a week? OK, I know I am exaggerating this just a bit, but my point is some yards aren't big enough that you would need a ZTR mower. That is why they make these:
HRR216VKA.jpg B&D 1.jpg wheeled string trimmer.jpg curved shaft ECHO.jpg

T

T J Blazek

If my back yard was that small; I would buy a weedeater and a shop vac.

Carscw

Carscw

If I was to buy a new riding mower I would get a craftsman. Parts are cheap and easy to get.
I think it is funny how people say buy a JD because there engines run for ever do you really thing that Briggs or any engine brand makes a engine with the same model number with cheaper parts for a craftsman then a JD.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Ric

Yeah Craftsman are a cheap mower, there parts are cheap and easy to get, ever ask yourself why? Duh....gif

The Thing about buying any mower whether it's a Craftsman, a Toro, a Hustler or what ever brand you want is that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The Thing about buying any mower whether it's a Craftsman, a Toro, a Hustler or what ever brand you want is that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Very true!

T

T J Blazek

I think the question should be; how much and often do you cut. The majority of you guys (opinion) are in the lawn care business. You buy expensive equipment and you should; those are the tools of your trade. They are probably used daily 8-10+hours; 6 days a week. In essence; they are rode hard and hung up wet. Only a idiot would be in your business with a cheaper mower or rider. But does it justify dropping big bucks on something that is only used 1 or 2 times a week? Given the regular maintence; shouldn't a middle of the line unit give you the same amount of service? The Craftsmans I had served their purpose. Did I buy another one; no. Why? Warranty; service from past history; and wanted a change.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

But does it justify dropping big bucks on something that is only used 1 or 2 times a week? Given the regular maintence; shouldn't a middle of the line unit give you the same amount of service?

I don't know if the middle of the line unit would be just as good as a big commercial unit, but the thing is some people buy the low-end unit and expect too much from it.

T

T J Blazek

I do know their riders are made by Husqvarna and their push mowers are made by MTD; made to their specs..

CauZey

CauZey

I'm starting my own lawn care business and I really wanna go buy a gravely compact pro but I think for now until I build my clientele I'm going to buy a MTD built sears craftsman :/ versus buying hd or lowes stuff

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I'm starting my own lawn care business and I really wanna go buy a gravely compact pro but I think for now until I build my clientele I'm going to buy a MTD built sears craftsman :/ versus buying hd or lowes stuff

FYI.jpg User "Browns Lawn Service" has a similar mower: Browns Lawn Service's GRAVELY.jpg (http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/membe...awn-service-gear-picture8301-gravely-44z.html) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CauZey

CauZey

Yeah I like that! I was lookin at the compact pro maybe. 32 deck small mower but all of my yards I cut are small and I could get the job done with it just hate to go out ad spend 5500$ on one

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yeah I like that! I was lookin at the compact pro maybe. 32 deck small mower but all of my yards I cut are small and I could get the job done with it just hate to go out ad spend 5500$ on one

Yeah I know how you feel! ZTRs are really expensive! But they can be a big timesaver! :cool:

T

T J Blazek

Good choice with the Gravely.I looked at one; 50" 3yr.warranty; 42something. It was more than I wanted to spend..

M

motoman

My only lawnmower ever is the Cratsman DYT 4000 which failed after 2 years of tender care. Since then I have cooled the Intek 24 and it is much happier. NOTHING HAS FAILED IN 500 HRS BUT THE ENGINE. I think the Intek head design/ cooling is faulty, and that a Kohler with hydraulic lifters would have been better, but I can't prove it. Paid $1800 new in 2004.:thumbsup:

CauZey

CauZey

How often did you use it in those two years?

M

motoman

How often did you use it in those two years?
Weekly through fall , then garaged 'til spring again.
Less than 150 hours-1-1/2 acres, grass, some weeds, hauling with light trailer. O yeah, also raking and fertilizing.I still have the original drive belts and blades on. I guess after being on this forum for 2 years I know it is a low end unit, but it was a high end to me , and I'm only now forgiving the failure (on wood).

Ric

Ric

I do know their riders are made by Husqvarna and their push mowers are made by MTD; made to their specs..

Actually craftsman riding mowers with the first three digits of the serial number being 250 were made by MTD. There LT Series is also MTD

The Craftsman Yard Tractors or YT series is made by Husqvarna a long with there GT series. There 2012 ZTR was made by MTD and 2011 and before believe it or not were made by Briggs and Stratton
Most of there professional series stuff that most has been discontinued was made by both Husqvarna and MTD.

The problem with the question of who makes what is totally confusing because places like Sears changes manufacturers almost yearly because of one company buying out another or some company going out of business. The only way to no who makes your craftsman mower is to check the prefix number, The first three will be the manufacturer.

T

T J Blazek

Very good point Ric. Again both the riders I had were good; but my gripe was the their parts and service.

Ric

Ric

Very good point Ric. Again both the riders I had were good; but my gripe was the their parts and service.

That's one of the big problems with buying from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes and places big box stores like that. Service and parts can be a problem. If you find a shop that will do the service or do the repair you need to have done, your most likely to wait for weeks to get the work done and the reason being they will service what they sell first. Most shops will take care of the commercial guys needs first then there homeowners that buy from them then the walk in guy that has a mower they don't sell.

M

motoman

I will add as a homeowner "only" that my owner's manual is a disservice with "weasel wording" regarding heat. I am still of the opinion that "small" air cooled engines are always near the edge of one or another kind of head failure due to overheat (cyl head warpage,blown gasket, valve seat loosens, valve guide loosens, pushrod dislodges etc).

The engines should have as a minimum a head heat sensor with a dash mounted warning lite. The manual should warn innocent homeowners to shut down and rest the mower until the lite goes out.
IMO this simple fix would allow diligent owners to extend the life of the "low end" units indefinitely. From the little I have seen Kohler did use such a failsafe in form of cutout switches. Replacement cost starts at $75/kit online. This means factory install /retail cost adder should be less than $50. Elsewhere in this forum I discuss them at $25-$50 diy.

My Intek was apart twice and the components looked good both times except for the head (and the missing exh cam lobe). I believe that "the industry " is used to air cooled failures and accepts them. No offense to that industry, but expectations play a big role. Flame suit is on. :2cents:

T

T J Blazek

Ric you're batting a thousand! Very true on who gets serviced first. At least being 2nd in line and getting it serviced at a dealer should (hopefully) shorten my down time.

T

T J Blazek

Moto; your thought is good;and would be helpfull to some. however; some would find a way to bypass it or just think its another idiot light. You have given me an idea. I have a very good digital meter. I'm going to tape the wire to the block; and see what the temp will be. I will probably be surprised.

Carscw

Carscw

I bought a new craftsman a few years back cut about 300 yards and the engine went out took it back to sears. Took me two weeks to get it back with a new engine a new rearend new blades could say they about rebuilt the whole mower.
My cost was gas to drop it off and pick it up.

CauZey

CauZey

I bought a new craftsman a few years back cut about 300 yards and the engine went out took it back to sears. Took me two weeks to get it back with a new engine a new rearend new blades could say they about rebuilt the whole mower.
My cost was gas to drop it off and pick it up.

That ain't bad!!!!!

Ric

Ric

Ric you're batting a thousand! Very true on who gets serviced first. At least being 2nd in line and getting it serviced at a dealer should (hopefully) shorten my down time.

The other thing that hurts the Individual buying the department store mowers is Warrranty, not only do people understand the warranty but they don't realize that places like Lowes, HD, Sears and others don't do their own warranty work, it gets shipped out to what ever dealer they can find or can use and pickup from the store may only be every two weeks so their mower could be tied up for up to a month or more. Ya know I'm sorry but buying a mower from Sears or a big box store just doesn't make common sense.

Carscw

Carscw

I guess the sears I go to is the only one that does there own work.

Ric

Ric

If your smart you'll stay away from sears or any of those big box stores. If you're going into the business BUY from a Dealer and get there knowledge and backing of there service department. Tell the dealer what you are doing, ask what's best for the job and the area you'll be working in. Buy all your equipment from the same dealer, soon you'll find those 10 and 15% discounts on equipment and supplies you buy. Believe me it pays to buy from a dealer in more ways than one.

CauZey

CauZey

If your smart you'll stay away from sears or any of those big box stores. If you're going into the business BUY from a Dealer and get there knowledge and backing of there service department. Tell the dealer what you are doing, ask what's best for the job and the area you'll be working in. Buy all your equipment from the same dealer, soon you'll find those 10 and 15% discounts on equipment and supplies you buy. Believe me it pays to buy from a dealer in more ways than one.

Yeah I agree. I buy all of my other equipment from her so far. But I need a mower and they only sell mowers that are pretty much commercial. And I just hate to jump in head first lol

Ric

Ric

Yeah I agree. I buy all of my other equipment from her so far. But I need a mower and they only sell mowers that are pretty much commercial. And I just hate to jump in head first lol

Actually you would probably be better off buying one commercial mower form her one time than two residential mowers from Sears twice, it would be cheaper and save you money in the long run. Don't be afraid to ask her for some kind of discount.

AmericanTurf

Everything is wrong with buying sears crapmans. It amazes me how many dorks there are in wanna-be lawn service....

Ric

Ric

Everything is wrong with buying sears crapmans. It amazes me how many dorks there are in wanna-be lawn service....

Yeah I have to agree there are a lot of wanna-be services out there and they appear every year. They show up with mowers and trimmers and such from the big box stores and think they are a legit business. They eventually find out that the business is a little more than what there equipment can handle and it ends up costing them more money than they make.

M

motoman

When I bought the DYT Crafsman I knew nothing about lawn mowers. Over again I would buy a blown unit (there are plenty) and rebuild like I did my new crafsman (twice). Grrr.

Carscw

Carscw

When I bought the DYT Crafsman I knew nothing about lawn mowers. Over again I would buy a blown unit (there are plenty) and rebuild like I did my new crafsman (twice). Grrr.

What is a blown unit? If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? And don't say they are cheap or they don't last I want to know what parts are no good. And don't say the engine because it is the same one that goes on the so called best mowers.

Ric

Ric

What is a blown unit? If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? And don't say they are cheap or they don't last I want to know what parts are no good. And don't say the engine because it is the same one that goes on the so called best mowers.

If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Excuse me but if he purchased a New Craftsman Mower from Sears it was undoubtedly put together by Sears or by whom ever manufactures there mowers, then you ask can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? icon_scratch.png Seems like you kinda answered your own question doesn't it.

M

motoman

carsc: A guy on post 41 above bought what sounds like junk...Others have heard me rave ad nauseum so I will not repeat it . The forum is full of detail from my failures and rebuilds. Craftsman DYT 4000 is not junk. With 500 hrs since new it is reliable now that it is cooled. Except for the Intek 24 it has been bullet proof. Original belts and blades , clutch and trans. The head (rt side) and cooling "on mine" was junk, but the new head has held up. This unit was babied from square one. Craftsman has distanced itself from the Intek name with "Platinum" No one has told me how this is any better than the Intek. Badge engineering like Detroit used to do. Also someone said the YT series is Husky made. Mine's 2004. The average owner is silent about failures so we are left with the flakey undefined stats from consumer reports which shows the big box
units about the same in reliability.

M

motoman

Blown unit, my defintion...defect requiring overhaul or repair exceeding owner's willingness to fund

CauZey

CauZey

carsc: A guy on post 41 above bought what sounds like junk...Others have heard me rave ad nauseum so I will not repeat it . The forum is full of detail from my failures and rebuilds. Craftsman DYT 4000 is not junk. With 500 hrs since new it is reliable now that it is cooled. Except for the Intek 24 it has been bullet proof. Original belts and blades , clutch and trans. The head (rt side) and cooling "on mine" was junk, but the new head has held up. This unit was babied from square one. Craftsman has distanced itself from the Intek name with "Platinum" No one has told me how this is any better than the Intek. Badge engineering like Detroit used to do. Also someone said the YT series is Husky made. Mine's 2004. The average owner is silent about failures so we are left with the flakey undefined stats from consumer reports which shows the big box
units about the same in reliability.

So with that being said I'm looking into buying one what would be your choice? I cut about 20 yards total a month but am not prepared at this time to buy a more expensive commercial unit until I get more accounts.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

So with that being said I'm looking into buying one what would be your choice? I cut about 20 yards total a month but am not prepared at this time to buy a more expensive commercial unit until I get more accounts.

What kind of mower are you looking for? A self-propelled mower? Lawn/garden tractor? Zero-turn? :rolleyes:

CauZey

CauZey

Sorry I assumed we were talkin about craftsman lawn tractors

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Oh, OK. I didn't know since Craftsman makes all 3 of those types of mowers.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
I have no experience with Craftsman mowers, though I do have a Craftsman snowblower that I love, but I would have to say (IF YOU WANT TO BUY A CRAFTSMAN LAWN TRACTOR), maybe something like this. I have heard some good reviews on it. But again, I don't have any experience with Craftsman lawn tractors so I would see if anyone else does.
4.jpg arrow.gif Turn Tight 42: Find Craftsman Yard Tractors Only at Sears

Ric

Ric

Just FYI.jpg it was on the news this morning that Best Buy, Sears, JC Penneys and a couple of more are closing some of there locations soon, so you can take the info for what it's worth.:confused3:

Carscw

Carscw

And McDonalds is going to close 1300 stores this year. So don't buy a Big Mac

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Just View attachment 11906 it was on the news this morning that Best Buy, Sears, JC Penneys and a couple of more are closing some of there locations soon, so you can take the info for what it's worth.:confused3:

I didn't know that! :confused3:

Ric

Ric

Hmmmm....I didn't know that! :confused3:

Yeah it was on the news this morning. I thought it was kind of funny when they said they were closing some locations and never said why. The only conclusion I can come to is there not making enough to pay there overhead in those location.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yeah it was on the news this morning. I thought it was kind of funny when they said they were closing some locations and never said why. The only conclusion I can come to is there not making enough to pay there overhead in those location.

Yeah that could be why. :rolleyes:

CauZey

CauZey

And McDonalds is going to close 1300 stores this year. So don't buy a Big Mac

Lol got me on that one

K

kunzmower

You guy know that sears does not make there own mowers , most are AYP which was bought by Husqvarna
other made by AYP poulan weedeater . sometimes sears uses other brands there zero turn a few years back was a
simplicity. I do like there website for looking up parts , they give you the real manufactorer part number , I can tell
looking at the number who made it . I own a lawnmower shop . http:kunzmowerservice.com

Carscw

Carscw

You guy know that sears does not make there own mowers , most are AYP which was bought by Husqvarna
other made by AYP poulan weedeater . sometimes sears uses other brands there zero turn a few years back was a
simplicity. I do like there website for looking up parts , they give you the real manufactorer part number , I can tell
looking at the number who made it . I own a lawnmower shop . http:kunzmowerservice.com

Most everyone here does know this but thank you for posting it again for those that do not know.
I my self do like AYP mowers I think they are built good and easy to work on and like you said easy to look up parts and get them.

AmericanTurf

Crapmans are not professional grade. If people are going to call themselves professional lawn companies they should have pro grade equipment. Push mowers are obsolete and useless anyway. Rookies is what I say. haha. By the way how much do the crapmans push mowers weigh? Hahahahahaha

Carscw

Carscw

Crapmans are not professional grade. If people are going to call themselves professional lawn companies they should have pro grade equipment. Push mowers are obsolete and useless anyway. Rookies is what I say. haha. By the way how much do the crapmans push mowers weigh? Hahahahahaha

I think everyone knows that craftsman is not for pro lawn care.
Looking back I see you have been told that most of the members are NOT lawn care pros.

I know you can not answer this but why should a homeowner with a 1 acre yard not buy a craftsman riding mower?
Try and give some fasts about what is wrong with them.

AmericanTurf

Fact is they are not pro grade. They are heavy and hard to start. They are sold at crap sears by a teenager.

Carscw

Carscw

Fact is they are not pro grade. They are heavy and hard to start. They are sold at crap sears by a teenager.

So I was right you can't answer the question.

Ric

Ric

I think everyone knows that craftsman is not for pro lawn care.
Looking back I see you have been told that most of the members are NOT lawn care pros.

I know you can not answer this but why should a homeowner with a 1 acre yard not buy a craftsman riding mower?
Try and give some fasts about what is wrong with them.

The problem with buying from Sears is basically like American Turf said, there not a good grade of equipment and based on the fact that places like Sears changes manufacturers almost yearly because of one company buying out another or some company going out of business you never know what your getting or buying and the sales people don't know either.:confused3:

Asking why should a homeowner with a 1 acre yard not buy a craftsman riding mower? Well for one if he's trying to mow an acre with a riding mower he's out of his cotton pickin mind anyway because he should be using a ZTR to begin with. Let me ask and you can explain to myself and the others why I should buy a Riding mower from sears when I can buy a better riding mower else where ( a Dealer) for or in the same price range and have there service dept, and warranty I know I can trust, get discounts on future equipment and have the knowledge to know that the people I'm dealing with actually know what there talking about. Which IMO is something you can not get from Sears or a glorified Kmart???

Carscw

Carscw

The problem with buying from Sears is basically like American Turf said, there not a good grade of equipment and based on the fact that places like Sears changes manufacturers almost yearly because of one company buying out another or some company going out of business you never know what your getting or buying and the sales people don't know either.:confused3:

Asking why should a homeowner with a 1 acre yard not buy a craftsman riding mower? Well for one if he's trying to mow an acre with a riding mower he's out of his cotton pickin mind anyway because he should be using a ZTR to begin with. Let me ask and you can explain to myself and the others why I should buy a Riding mower from sears when I can buy a better riding mower else where ( a Dealer) for or in the same price range and have there service dept, and warranty I know I can trust, get discounts on future equipment and have the knowledge to know that the people I'm dealing with actually know what there talking about. Which IMO is something you can not get from Sears or a glorified Kmart???

First off how big do you think a acre is? I can push mow a acre in about a hour

Everything else I agree with you.

So are you saying the parts on a craftsman are not as good as the parts on a JD
I SAY a craftsman is a better built mower than a JD

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Push mowers are obsolete and useless anyway. Rookies is what I say. haha.

hmm.gif I still don't agree with you on that one!

Ric

Ric

First off how big do you think a acre is? I can push mow a acre in about a hour

Everything else I agree with you.

So are you saying the parts on a craftsman are not as good as the parts on a JD
I SAY a craftsman is a better built mower than a JD

I never said anything about parts or any particular mower, I just said I could get a better mower in the same price range from a dealer than a Craftsman with better benefits.

As far as you push mowing an acre in an hour.:rolleyes: According to the riding mower deck size compared to yard size below it takes 1 hour to cut an acre with a 42 " deck.

RIDING MOWER DECK SIZE COMPARED TO YARD SIZE

1/2 - 1 Acre The 42" deck would be appropriate
1 - 2 Acres The 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient
2 - 3 Acres The 46", 50" or 54" deck would get the job done quicker

RIDING MOWER DECK SIZE AND TIME SAVINGS

Homeowners with larger lawns may benefit from stepping up in deck size to reduce mowing time.

Deck Size Benefit Cutting Time (2 acres)
42" Deck --- 2 hrs.
46" Deck 10% faster than a 42" deck 1 hr. 48 min.
50" Deck 17% faster than a 42" deck 1 hr. 40 min.
54" Deck 24% faster than a 42" deck 1 hr. 30 min.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I never said anything about parts or any particular mower, I just said I could get a better mower in the same price range from a dealer than a Craftsman with better benefits.

As far as you push mowing an acre in an hour.:rolleyes: According to the riding mower deck size compared to yard size below it takes 1 hour to cut an acre with a 42 " deck.

Yeah, I can't mow an acre in 1 hour!
1 (2).jpg

Ric

Ric

Yeah, I can't mow an acre in 1 hour!

I would seriously doubt anyone that would or could push an acre in an hour could and have a lawn that looked decent when they got through. Like my last post, according to the deck size a 42 " deck on a rider will take a person an hour to cut an acre.

Carscw

Carscw

Ric your like my personal stalker. I really have got to the point that I don't give two shits if you like or believe anything I post.

CauZey

CauZey

Some people just wanna watch the world burn! Lol

Ric

Ric

Ric your like my personal stalker. I really have got to the point that I don't give two shits if you like or believe anything I post.

It doesn't matter if I believe or disbelieve you. It comes down to facts and the facts say you are greatly exaggerating your statements.

Carscw

Carscw

And who did this study to say it takes a hour with a 42 inch to cut a acre? Oh that's right no one did a study

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I would seriously doubt anyone that would or could push an acre in an hour could and have a lawn that looked decent when they got through. Like my last post, according to the deck size a 42 " deck on a rider will take a person an hour to cut an acre.

I mowed an acer once with a 21 inch mower from jd If I Remember right that was about 2 hours to take your time :thumbsup:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

And who did this study to say it takes a hour with a 42 inch to cut a acre? Oh that's right no one did a study

It doesn't matter if I believe or disbelieve you. It comes down to facts and the facts say you are greatly exaggerating your statements.

It you are mowing In a slow pace on a rider it does take hour I am saying like 3rd gear trust me I know but Ric and you both have good points but if it comes down to Rics facts are close

Ric

Ric

Actually there are a lot of sites that have the information available if you would like to do a search, although I don't see how it matters when its a 42" deck that all manufacturers have and it's size were talking about not the mower. The site I used was the Cub Cadet site.

Print this Page
WHAT IS THE RIGHT DECK SIZE
FOR MY RIDING MOWER?

Cub Cadet riding mower deck sizes range from 42" to 54", and the correct deck size greatly depends on the amount of lawn to be mowed. The information below will help you choose the right deck size for your needs.

1/2 - 1 AcreThe 42" deck would be appropriate
1 - 2 AcresThe 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient
2 - 3 AcresThe 46", 50" or 54" deck would get the job done quicker

Homeowners with larger lawns may benefit from stepping up in deck size to reduce mowing time.

42" Deck---2 hrs.
46" Deck10% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 48 min.
50" Deck17% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 40 min.
54" Deck24% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 30 min.
Please note: This is simply a guide and not a report on product performance.

ACRES
-vs-
SQUARE FEET
Measurement for proper quoting:
1/4 Acre
10,890 square feet
1/2 Acre
21,780 square feet
3/4 Acre
32,670 square feet
1 Acre
43,560 square feet
GAUGE
-vs-
INCHES THICK
Thickness of steel:
13 ga.
12 ga.
11 ga.
10 ga.
9 ga.
8 ga.
7 ga.
6 ga.

For more information about Cub Cadet's riding mowers, contact a dealer in your area.

The standard self-propelled is 22" wide and runs or mows at about 2.5mph. Using that, you are cutting 402.6 square feet per minute. Assuming you never slow down, and never overlap any cut passes, it will take you 108 minutes or 1hr 48 minutes to cut one full acre.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Actually there are a lot of sites that have the information available if you would like to do a search, although I don't see how it matters when its a 42" deck that all manufacturers have and it's size were talking about not the mower. The site I used was the Cub Cadet site.

Print this Page
WHAT IS THE RIGHT DECK SIZE
FOR MY RIDING MOWER?

Cub Cadet riding mower deck sizes range from 42" to 54", and the correct deck size greatly depends on the amount of lawn to be mowed. The information below will help you choose the right deck size for your needs.

1/2 - 1 AcreThe 42" deck would be appropriate
1 - 2 AcresThe 42" or 46" deck would be sufficient
2 - 3 AcresThe 46", 50" or 54" deck would get the job done quicker

42" Deck---2 hrs.
46" Deck10% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 48 min.
50" Deck17% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 40 min.
54" Deck24% faster than a 42" deck1 hr. 30 min.
Please note: This is simply a guide and not a report on product performance.

ACRES
-vs-
SQUARE FEET
Measurement for proper quoting:
1/4 Acre
10,890 square feet
1/2 Acre
21,780 square feet
3/4 Acre
32,670 square feet
1 Acre
43,560 square feet
GAUGE
-vs-
INCHES THICK
Thickness of steel:
13 ga.
12 ga.
11 ga.
10 ga.
9 ga.
8 ga.
7 ga.
6 ga.

For more information about Cub Cadet's riding mowers, contact a dealer in your area.

Ric is it the higher the number the thinner the deck or the lower number ?

Ric

Ric

Ric is it the higher the number the thinner the deck or the lower number ?

It's the Higher the number or Gauge the thinner the deck. Most of those with the in the double digit numbers are going to be the stamped decks. Then you'll have those deck (mostly Fabricated) that can have two different thickness, the deck and top plate will be different. You get into those single digits and you have a tank.

AmericanTurf

Carscw. You keep asking about facts for crapmans. And you keep answering your own question by saying that they are NOT commercial grade.... That is the factual answer to your own question.

Ric

Ric

Carscw. You keep asking about facts for crapmans. And you keep answering your own question by saying that they are NOT commercial grade.... That is the factual answer to your own question.

American Turf, you're right he does answer his own questions quite often.

M

motoman

The profanity police have struck!:laughing:

Ric

Ric

The profanity police have struck!:laughing:

Oops.jpg did somebody get busted???

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: I do not have a problem with Craftsman branded mowers, either walk behind/riders. The problem I have is with their parts prices. Must people do not understand that Sears does not manufacture anything, they are just a re-seller. They use the manufactures part numbers and sell to us at one heck of a price markup. Where as most parts are available else where for half the cost. As far as their home service, I now have one customer that their Craftsman rider had a tranny problem. Home service came out and charged them right at 400$ to replace the drive belt and service the machine. this rider was out of warranty by one week. A few days later rider was grinding in the transaxle and would not move. I went down an checked it out, pinion shaft in transaxle was wobleing around. All the new belt done was put additional stress on the shaft. With is rider only being out of warranty one week, I told them to call Sears corporate and raise he_ _. One week later they received a check in the mail for amount of the service call and a brand new rider, they even got to keep the old one. Which they gave to me, I tried to buy it but they would not take any money, 50$ later, new pinion shaft kit and grease and its mowing mowing grass. The moral of my story, some of Sears home service techs are spot on with their diagnosis and service work. But the tech that worked on this mower evidently did not know his azz from a hole in the ground. Around here Sears has closed their walk in repair centers/parts sites.

wjjones

wjjones

:smile: I do not have a problem with Craftsman branded mowers, either walk behind/riders. The problem I have is with their parts prices. Must people do not understand that Sears does not manufacture anything, they are just a re-seller. They use the manufactures part numbers and sell to us at one heck of a price markup. Where as most parts are available else where for half the cost. As far as their home service, I now have one customer that their Craftsman rider had a tranny problem. Home service came out and charged them right at 400$ to replace the drive belt and service the machine. this rider was out of warranty by one week. A few days later rider was grinding in the transaxle and would not move. I went down an checked it out, pinion shaft in transaxle was wobleing around. All the new belt done was put additional stress on the shaft. With is rider only being out of warranty one week, I told them to call Sears corporate and raise he_ _. One week later they received a check in the mail for amount of the service call and a brand new rider, they even got to keep the old one. Which they gave to me, I tried to buy it but they would not take any money, 50$ later, new pinion shaft kit and grease and its mowing mowing grass. The moral of my story, some of Sears home service techs are spot on with their diagnosis and service work. But the tech that worked on this mower evidently did not know his azz from a hole in the ground. Around here Sears has closed their walk in repair centers/parts sites.

Yep the same here I have 2 ys4500 tractors 1 24hp 54" cut (390 hrs), and 1 24hp 46" cut(170 hrs), and if I need parts I order them online. They closed all the parts, and service centers within 60 miles here but with a little research you can get the parts alot cheaper.

midnite rider

midnite rider

:thumbsup: Nothing wrong with my Sears Craftsman experiences as the service I have received in the past has been superb and I have a Sears parts and discount rebuilt merchandise store within a mile of my house. Over the years I have purchased a lot of their products. They have always stood behind their product for me as their message was "Satisfaction guaranteed". Also very easy to get parts online as long as you know the model number which is clearly stated on all their products. They probably are one of the largest retailers for the homeowner over many years and the squeaky wheel is always the loudest before it receives the grease.

midnite-rider-albums-ed-s-equipment-picture7175-1984-sears-craftsman-lt11-36.jpg

B

Buckshot 1

:smile:midnite rider, That is a good looking LT 11-36/38, not to many of those around in that good of condition. I to have purchased alot of parts and rebuilt equipment from their parts and rebuilt center when they were in the area (long closed). On the average home owner, most of them are lucky to get their equipment started, let alone find the model number and try to buy parts/ service their equipment.

midnite rider

midnite rider

:smile:midnite rider, That is a good looking LT 11-36/38, not to many of those around in that good of condition. I to have purchased alot of parts and rebuilt equipment from their parts and rebuilt center when they were in the area (long closed). On the average home owner, most of them are lucky to get their equipment started, let alone find the model number and try to buy parts/ service their equipment.

Yea Buckshot, you are right. Most people are pretty helpless and don't have a clue when it comes to preventive maintenance much less repair. We live in a throw away society now a days. Lucky for us, for that is where we come in, being as how I like the old stuff. :biggrin::biggrin:

wjjones

wjjones

Mine has always been pretty reliable with the normal repair here, and there from wear.

B

Buckshot 1

Yea Buckshot, you are right. Most people are pretty helpless and don't have a clue when it comes to preventive maintenance much less repair. We live in a throw away society now a days. Lucky for us, for that is where we come in, being as how I like the old stuff. :biggrin::biggrin:
:smile: Most of my repair/service is on older equipment. As in this day and age, most people can not afford to buy the newer less expensive equipment. Wether it be an LT/walk behind mower. In my opinion, the older equipment is built a heck of a lot better than this Bubbly hooded new equipment. But there is some older equipment that people drag to my shop that have given up the ghost. No amount of time/parts will bring them back to useable.

harryset

harryset

Jumping in here late as I'm a new member.

My answer is a definite, resounding "NOTHING", not a darn thing wrong with Craftsman mower/tractors. Parts prices and availability are a bit of a problem, but I find it easy to locate most of what I need on the online catalogs, even use the breakdowns for troubleshooting purposes.

I have had two in the past 20 years, an 18hp mower, that doubled as a hauler for brush and small logs, pulling the kids on sleds all winter etc. My other is a big green 24hp garden tractor that I have beat the heck out of. I mowed my large property from woods down to lawn over the years, hauled brush, medium to large log hauling out of the woods and heavy snow blowing. I have had my share of problems with it, and it has caused me some aggravation, but nothing the others aren't experiencing with other brand/models.

My machines have been put through stuff above and beyond anything the manufacture would allow.

M

motoman

Only one beef with my 2004 DYT 48-the Intek 24. Everything else works well. Be careful of engine choice.

T

tee3

I own a sears/craftman garden rototiller that was purchased in 1983. I have replaced the belts two times and changed the oil once a year. NEVER any problem, so they do make some good equipment. (I do change the plug once in a while)

harryset

harryset

I own a sears/craftman garden rototiller that was purchased in 1983. I have replaced the belts two times and changed the oil once a year. NEVER any problem, so they do make some good equipment. (I do change the plug once in a while)

Yep. I've got an 8hp, 4 gang, sleeve hitch tiller for my garden tractor, and it has been over stumps, rocks and everything else imaginable. Haven't even had to change the belt yet. Tough machine.

T

tee3

:laughing:
Yep. I've got an 8hp, 4 gang, sleeve hitch tiller for my garden tractor, and it has been over stumps, rocks and everything else imaginable. Haven't even had to change the belt yet. Tough machine.

Sounds like a HOGG....Must be a HOGG!! tee3:laughing:

harryset

harryset

:laughing:

Sounds like a HOGG....Must be a HOGG!! tee3:laughing:

Whenever I hit something substantial, it jars hard enough to send you to the Chiropracter.

C

CXG4U

My father bought a Craftsman riding mower 13 years ago, and it has not had a single problem except my brother tried to beat the wheel off and damaged the rearend (huh!). It has since been fixed and runs like a top today! My mother will not let anyone else on her mower, and mows about 3.5 acres. For the money, you cant beat it! And just to let you know, JD, Cub Cadet, and a few other "name" brands are nothing but cheap junk now, and you are still paying for the name, not quality. You want to be like the jones & the smiths, buy a JD and then deal with the constant problems that it brings.
My 2500 is made by MTD and it has a Kohler 22 hp engine. In my research, MTD is one of the highest rated mowers on the market. Some of the other mowers at Sears (craftsman) are made by Husqavarna and some other fine companies. Check out this article on todaysmower.com to see who makes all the Craftsman mowers.

T

T J Blazek

Hello Mr. CX. I'm happy that your mother's 13 yr. old Craftsman is still running great. I hope you have the same service with your 2500. (Not familier with the numbers; but I guessing its a Craftsman) It seems this thread will never die. As I posted before; I had two of them; '01 and a' '03; both had the K motor and both gave good service for 8 yrs.. The thing that turned me off of them was SERVICE and PARTS. I just got fed up waiting for their Service to come out (back then it was 10-14 days); then waiting for the parts to be mailed to me; and then wait for them to come out. I might even get a phone call : "Sorry; our technican is overbooked and he won't be out today; please call again and set up another date". I ran them until they died; one blew a rod; the other locked up. Both mower decks were shot. My new toy is the Cub RZT50; yes; made by MTD like yours; came with the K motor; know its disliked by the Pros on these forums; but the price was right for me. (26&change). Came with a 3 yr. warranty; I'm happy. If something breaks; I'll trailer it; and take it 6mi. to be serviced at a Dealer. Again; I was happy with the Brand ; but not happy with the Service. To me; they go together. Happy mowing in Miss.. TJ

C

CXG4U

I totally understand Mr. TJ, that would tick me off worse than the actual problem with the mower.....lol. i hope the Craftsman LT 2500 i bought lasts 13 years, and i will be real happy. Customer service or better yet, the lack of customer service is rampant these days! Happy mowing in Texas my friend!

djdicetn

djdicetn

kermit911,
Everyone knows that Sears(Craftsman) doesn't "manufacture" anything.....right??? I bought a new 2006 54" Craftsman YS4500 for $1800 only to discover later it was basically a Husqvarna lawn tractor(with a few "cheaper" components than the comparable Husqvarna model). And specifically, it had a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Intek engine(this mower was replacing a 13 year old 46" True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp B & S Vanguard that I was giving to my son). I figured since the Vanguard, after 13 seasons, still ran like new and didn't use a drop of oil I couldn't go wrong with a 24hp B & S.......WRONG. The Vanguard would still mow circles around the Intek(and the Intek choke fell apart inside the carb just after the Warranty expired:0(!!! And the more I researched, I found out I "could have" bought a 2006 54" Husqvarna(amazingly similar to the Craftsman:0) with a Kawasaki engine(and a sundry of better quality "components") for about $100 more than I paid for the Craftsman. THAT is why when somebody asks me about a Craftsman I tell them if they are strapped for cash they are OK, but find out which model of Husvarna(even Consumer reports tells you that Husqvarna makes 80% of Craftsmans with a few Murray & MTD's thrown in) is the same and buy the Husqvarna. It will prove to be worth the extra few bucks!!!!

I understand if you have a lawn care bussiness you need long lasting trouble free equipment. It's best to spend the money and get the best mower you can find. I live in a mountain setting, I'm a retired home owner that might need to cut the natural greenery on my 1.21 acre about 3 or maybe 4 times a year. There are precious few manicured laws in my area. Why invest $6K on a mower for my lot that is uneven at best? I have an old craftsman (1997) ride on mower (paid $325 for it), a walk behind string trimmer, and a couple of handheld line trimmers. They all have their uses in my little corner of the world. Where I live there are no dealers close but ther is a small Sears store 15 miles away where I can order/purchase parts. I don't need a mower that can cut a green on a golf coarse. I need a field mower that can take uneven ground and not give me grief. Shoot, some people in my area don't even own a mower, only line trimmers.

M

motoman

There are very few Cal forum members. I retired from SoCal where it is very dry and getting drier. Since "never too thin or rich" is often the by word people may be too busy in the rat race to mow if they even have lawn. Sounds like you have the right balance . I have nursed a "bought new" craftsman back to pretty good health and can mow slowly on tall grass and weeds.

F

fastback

I am one that owns 3 Craftsman GT's. One is a 1977, that is not used at this time and is one I would like to rebuild (complete teardown and paint etc). It has a 16 hp Onan engine that still runs, but smokes a little. I have a snow plow, 48 inch mower deck and a 42 inch single stage snow blower. The second is a 1989, 18 hp B&S. It has a 44 in deck, a snow plow and a sleeve hitch, at this point it is only used for snow removal. The last unit is a 1996, 18 1/2 hp Kohler. It has a 46 inch deck and also a sleeve hitch. This machine is only used for leaf and grass pick up. I do all of my cutting with the newest member a 2011 Housemoving GT with a 26 hp Kawasaki and 52 inch fabricated deck.

I don't get ride on these old machines because they still work and run well. My biggest complaint has been the time it takes to get parts, and since they are never in stock in the store I have to pay shipping, which is some times as much as the part. I remember being told when I first bought blades for the 96 ( way back when) that the reason they were not in stock was because the tractor was too new. The last time I was told it was too old. Go figure.

I can't complain about the tractors, they have served me well. I always do my own service and at times make my own parts. The salespeople are another story. Most have no idea of what they are selling. Some of the stuff they say is just made up. I loose my patients with these guys very quickly.

Would I buy another Craftsman? It is doubtful. I like the idea of getting my parts the same day I need them. The most recent tractor was bought from a reputable dealer. When I need parts I expect to have what I need right away.