Export thread

What's the best way to change a lawn mower's oil? (push and rider)

E

EngineEar

I hate changing my oil. It is a messy experience... so what do I do... I procrastinate doing it... :mad:

K

KennyV

I hate changing my oil. It is a messy experience... so what do I do... I procrastinate doing it... :mad:

And that is what a lot of folks do...
ANOTHER great reason to always use a good synthetic .... much more forgiving on change interval....
:smile:KennyV
PS welcome to a great forum....

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

You must be going about it the hard way...it's 5 minutes. I change it when I change the oil in the transporter (truck).
I use one of those oil change pans that has the spout built in. get your 3/8" ratchet with a 8" extension ready, tilt the mower up on the 2 side wheels, the side without the discharge, if it has side discharge.
Then push the pan up against the two wheels left on the ground. Remove the drain plug and lay the mower on the pan. Go eat lunch. Get the drain plug ratchet and extension, tilt the mower up and replace the drain plug, pull out the pan, set the mower on all 4 wheels and fill it with the correct amount of oil.
Done.
Come on man!:laughing: easy peasy lemon squeezy

Attachments

J

junebug1701

The easiest way is to remove the dipstick, tilt the mower, and let the oil drain out of the filler tube. That's how the owner's manual says to do it on most modern mowers. In fact, Briggs & Stratton has started phasing out the bottom drain plug on their engines.

craftsman-lawn-mower-oil-drain.jpg

JDgreen

JDgreen

The easiest way is to remove the dipstick, tilt the mower, and let the oil drain out of the filler tube. That's how the owner's manual says to do it on most modern mowers. In fact, Briggs & Stratton has started phasing out the bottom drain plug on their engines.

craftsman-lawn-mower-oil-drain.jpg

I have been buying push mowers since 1982 and have NEVER seen one with a bottom drain plug...what is so hard about changing oil anyhow? I do our three cars, my truck, my motorhome, my tractor, our two ATV's, all my push mowers, have been doing my own oil changes for forty years !!!

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I have been buying push mowers since 1982 and have NEVER seen one with a bottom drain plug...

How strange is that? I've never seen without a drain plug. It never occured to me to tip the mower over and spill the oil out the fill hole:ashamed:

JDgreen

JDgreen

How strange is that? I've never seen without a drain plug. It never occured to me to tip the mower over and spill the oil out the fill hole:ashamed:

Every paper manual I have for my pushers say to tip it over and empty the oil out of the fill tube...makes sense to me, otherwise you would have to set the mower deck on sawhorses or another type of stand to get access to the drain plug.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Every paper manual I have for my pushers say to tip it over and empty the oil out of the fill tube...makes sense to me, otherwise you would have to set the mower deck on sawhorses or another type of stand to get access to the drain plug.
Manual? I guess I should have read the manual......

I

indypower

Most have never seen the drain plug on a push mower because it is covered with grass plus they are looking for a hex head plug. The drain plugs on push mowers are square female plugs and you have to use a square ended ratchet extension to remove it. They look like this.
Briggs & Stratton 691680 Plug-Oil Drain

Ric

Ric

The manual I have for my Honda says to tip it over and empty the oil out of the fill tube same as JD Green says, I haven't seen a drain plug on a push in years. View attachment 813

B

bret

Thanks for sharing that. I need to change the oil in our equipment but didn't know the best and most efficient way to do it, that looks far easier.

jet62095

jet62095

Most push mowers now have a 3/8" square head drain plug on the bottom, and just drain that into a pan. Riding mowers often have drain plug bolts on the side or bottom of the block or a quick drain on the side of the block in place of a drain plug.

B

BearMan

Last fall I tried a product called the LiquiVac oil changer. It is so cool. You just pump it up and stick the hose down the dipstick tube and it sucks the oil right out. It really works ... no joke. It was so easy... and I didnt spill oil all over the place too... I bought it @ Home Depot for $34 bucks. oh yeah I also used it on my 4 cycle outboard engine too. :thumbsup:

I

irbylawn

Common sense reminder,,,make sure the gas tank is empty. My employees never remember that.

F

Fred B

Two 5 gallon buckets make a good "lift" for a push mower. Put on your safety glasses, unplug the spark plug. Push the handle bar down to raise the front of the mower, catch the bottom edge of the deck on the first bucket, then lift the handle bar to raise the rear of the mower and use a foot to slide the other bucket under the bottom edge of the rear of the deck.

My vintage MTD Briggs Flathead powered 22" mower has a 3/8" square in the drain plug. I just put two 1 gal paint cans on my work bench, lift the mower to sit on the cans, then I can easily access the drain plug, & remove the blade, sharpen & balance, cap the drain. Put it back on the ground & add my fav oil & service the rest..

It's not rocket science. Neighbor tipped his push mower over to the wrong side & thought his motor locked up. I told him to remove the spark plug & start pulling the rope till the oil stops squirting out the spark plug hole.. He had filled the combustion chamber with oil, thus preventing the piston from being able to come up on the stroke..

He was gonna throw that mower away...............I could have had it for FREE. But nice to be nice..

cpurvis

cpurvis

My vintage MTD Briggs Flathead powered 22" mower has a 3/8" square in the drain plug. I just put two 1 gal paint cans on my work bench, lift the mower to sit on the cans, then I can easily access the drain plug, & remove the blade, sharpen & balance, cap the drain. Put it back on the ground & add my fav oil & service the rest..

It's not rocket science. Neighbor tipped his push mower over to the wrong side & thought his motor locked up. I told him to remove the spark plug & start pulling the rope till the oil stops squirting out the spark plug hole.. He had filled the combustion chamber with oil, thus preventing the piston from being able to come up on the stroke..

He was gonna throw that mower away...............I could have had it for FREE. But nice to be nice..

You're a good man.

Cpurvis - I'm trying.. Since then we became good neighbors & much later he said he was gonna throw out an old FG-100 Honda mini-tiller that's been in his shed for 10 years, or so.

Asked if I wanted to take a look at it. I did, & put it in my yard wagon & brought it home, he had been running 2 stroke oil mix in it. (which imo was a plus, kept an oil film on cylinder wall.)
But it's a 4 stroke. It had compression & spark, so..........

I flushed everything & got a $9. chinese carb off eBay with all the hoses, hooked all up & it fired up on 2nd pull. Ran so well, I detailed it up nicely. He saw me tilling & couldn't believe it was the same old tiller..

He said it never did till good for him.. I hated to tell him, but he had the tines on backwards..

Been tilling our garden ever since..:thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

Last fall I tried a product called the LiquiVac oil changer. It is so cool. You just pump it up and stick the hose down the dipstick tube and it sucks the oil right out. It really works ... no joke. It was so easy... and I didnt spill oil all over the place too... I bought it @ Home Depot for $34 bucks. oh yeah I also used it on my 4 cycle outboard engine too. :thumbsup:

Yep, there is a whole raft of sump pumps from a plain syringe for push mowers through mechanical vacuum pumps right up to battery/mains powered ones.
Any one who picks up a hot mower then tips it on the side to remove the hot oil is begging for a serious burn followed by some serious lasserations as they drop the mower

I still like removing the drain plug, no excuse for me then to not service the blade.. :thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

Awefull lot of engine now with no sump plug.
Then even more where the blade clutch covers the drain so it is impossible to remove the bolt
Then if you do the impossible the the clutch ends up being soaked in hot oil.

M

mechanic mark

Three options, take to mower shop, hire a lawn service, or buy battery operated mower.