What to look for when buying used

aassaf1989

Threads
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used commercial lawn mower and was wondering what everyone looks for in general when buying a used zero turn. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

clay45

Threads
The same things you look for when buying new.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bring a compression tester with you. Take a look at the all around care of the machine. Scratches, cleanliness this will tell you how bad it was abused. Check condition of belts, blades spin spindles by hand should be quiet.

Remember if your buying from a lawn care company be very very cautious usually they keep a machine until they can't get anymore life out of it. If you have any doubts just walk away

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used commercial lawn mower and was wondering what everyone looks for in general when buying a used zero turn. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If I'm looking at a used commercial unit and I wanted information about the unit the first thing I would do is pull up a PDF file on the machine and check the specifications out. What year is the machine and make engine is it doe it have? What drive units does it have? How many Hours are one the unit? Check for size of spindles and if there sealed bearing or do you have to play with greasing and also the blades to see how bad they are, that can give you an indication of how the unit has been used. Depending on how old the unit is you may want to check out the warranty side. You also may want to find out what the unit cost new so you know if there asking too much money.

aassaf1989

Threads
Thanks all! How many hours can you get out of a zero turn mower usually? Should I look for something under a certain amount of hours? Thanks again

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks all! How many hours can you get out of a zero turn mower usually? Should I look for something under a certain amount of hours? Thanks again

Commercially well taken care machines can go thousands of hours. Worry less about hours and more about the previous care and why they are selling it

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Well the lower the hours the better. As far as how long one will last is hard to answer. I know guys in the business that have mowers with between 3 and 4000 hrs but not without some repairs. It basically comes down to how well they maintain there mowers and who owns it and who makes it.