Export thread

What to do with 2 week customers?

mikec280

mikec280

Hi I'm new to this forum and have found very useful info on here.

I have 26 customers and all but 3, want their yards cut every 2 weeks. I would prefer to cut more often to make more profit. How without being an *** could I do this and what do you guys do in cases of this with your business?
I'm just trying to find ways(along with adding more customers) to make more profit.

Ric

Ric

I have 26 customers and all but 3, want their yards cut every 2 weeks. I would prefer to cut more often to make more profit. How without being an *** could I do this and what do you guys do in cases of this with your business?
I'm just trying to find ways(along with adding more customers) to make more profit.

How much are you charging for very two weeks?

exotion

exotion

Make A 12 month contract tell your customers they pay the same amount per month for more mowing but just spread out if that doesn't work hit the yards hard with fertilizer and tell them you have to start charging over growth fees if they don't let you now more often

mikec280

mikec280

Well in the beginning I agreed on every 2 weeks as I was trying to build my business. But as it went on its became annoying. The grass honestly is fine at every 2 weeks but still lol. Most I have at $35 some at $60-$70 depending on yard size. I live in WV so the grass only grows April-October so making a 12 month contract wouldn't make sense for me.

mikec280

mikec280

I'm afraid if I charge per month and we have a small drought and it doesn't need cut for as much as they were charged I can see some irate customers adding up.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would say explain to them that you can make it look nicer if you cut it weekly, because the grass gets too long, but then you said it is fine after 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Maybe have some sort of discount/offer if they switch over to weekly, but make sure you still make enough money from that service.

Ric

Ric

I'm afraid if I charge per month and we have a small drought and it doesn't need cut for as much as they were charged I can see some irate customers adding up.

I would be charging by the cut and billing by the month. What ever your weekly cuts are I'd double that rate for the bi-weekly cuts and explain to them that you can't do it or charge like you were because your not covering your overhead. I personally stay away from bi-weekly cuts because you don't make any money to start with and there more of a PITA than what there worth. All my lawns are weekly, I just tell Bi-weekly people nicely sorry you'll have to find someone else.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Tell them it promotes root formation and gives you a thicker lawn thus having a nicer yard.

L

LoCo86

I would be charging by the cut and billing by the month. What ever your weekly cuts are I'd double that rate for the bi-weekly cuts and explain to them that you can't do it or charge like you were because your not covering your overhead. I personally stay away from bi-weekly cuts because you don't make any money to start with and there more of a PITA than what there worth. All my lawns are weekly, I just tell Bi-weekly people nicely sorry you'll have to find someone else.

Couldn't have said it any better. Most people who want their yards done every other week are the same people who let their bushes get overgrown and then ask you to cut them. Those type of people are not worth mowing for.

jekjr

jekjr

We are faced with that as well. Problem is either cut them every two weeks or they find somebody else. Because it rained so much this summer we cut hay most of the summer instead of cutting grass. Most of the yards here have Bahia grass in them as well. Needless to say you go through some blades.

mikec280

mikec280

Yeah Jekr I'm with you. I went back through my list and I know I can raise prices on at least 7 customers. But some of my customers are older or are stuck on every 2 weeks and if I say something about every wk, regardless of my work quality, they will say they can't afford it an go elsewhere. I'm starting up my business and I'm not trying to lose customers. These 2 wk yards aren't bad to cut, I'm just wanting to maximize my profit without losing customers.

E

edd

most of my customers are 2 week deals....even have some that are 3 weeks.....i would rather cut them on that schedule than not at all....2 weeks works out good for me

mikec280

mikec280

Yeah I mean I'm not complaining, and I agree that I'd rather have them than not. I guess my only option really is to add more customer like I planned on anyways. I know I can persuade a few to at least 10 day deals rather than 2 wks then I can squeeze in a few extra cuts by season's end.

Ric

Ric

Yeah I mean I'm not complaining, and I agree that I'd rather have them than not. I guess my only option really is to add more customer like I planned on anyways. I know I can persuade a few to at least 10 day deals rather than 2 wks then I can squeeze in a few extra cuts by season's end.

If your wanting to switch from bi-weekly to every week cuts just start adding your every week cuts and for everyone you add drop a bi-weekly giving them a choice to come on weekly with you or they will have to find someone else to do there lawn. you'll be surprised how many you will get to go every week. Trying to find someone to do bi-weekly cuts and do a decent job of them is a hard thing to do.

mikec280

mikec280

Ok that sounds good I will keep that in mind. Does anybody have any ideas or ways to add customers during the off season months(if that's even something that works)?I'm new to all of this and would welcome any advice.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ok that sounds good I will keep that in mind. Does anybody have any ideas or ways to add customers during the off season months(if that's even something that works)?I'm new to all of this and would welcome any advice.

Don't know where you live but if you do snow removal for people, it is easier to get the same people for mowing the next year. But a lot of people aren't thinking about mowing until the warm days in March. Maybe send them a flyer advertising some sort of discount if they sign up before a certain date. Just throwing out possible ideas.

mikec280

mikec280

Yeah I hear ya. I'm new to this so I just wanted to get some ideas from others who's been doing it for a while. I live in WV so at times winters are bad here not always though. I'm still up in the air about doing snow removal. A couple of customers have asked but they live up on a mountain lol.

mikec280

mikec280

Most of my customers except for a couple have already said come back next yr. I was just thinking of ideas to draw in new customers.

jekjr

jekjr

most of my customers are 2 week deals....even have some that are 3 weeks.....i would rather cut them on that schedule than not at all....2 weeks works out good for me

Most of mine are two weeks or not at all. It is tough as much rain as we have had this summer but it is 2 weeks or not at all like you said.

exotion

exotion

Another option is get more two week clients so you have the same amount of customers every day and you keep everyone happy

mikec280

mikec280

Another option is get more two week clients so you have the same amount of customers every day and you keep everyone happy

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as well. The more I think about it and getting others opinions, I would never risk losing my customers I have so I will just add more customers and move along. :)

L

LoCo86

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as well. The more I think about it and getting others opinions, I would never risk losing my customers I have so I will just add more customers and move along. :)

That's probably the best solution right now until you build up your client list. Then you can give the ultimatum of either having weekly service or none at all. Like I said earlier people who have weekly lawn service done will be more susceptible to having other services done. Which means more money in one location.

Ric

Ric

The thing about the lawncare business is the fact that time is money and with doing Bi-weekly cuts your spending to much time to make any decent money. With the growing rates of grass in season, It takes more time to do bi-weekly cuts, it takes more gas to do bi-weekly cuts so unless your willing to charge twice your regular cutting rate you'll end up on the losing end because you'll never cover your bottom line at the end of the year and show very little profit and without a profit margin your business can't be maintained. If you want to keep the Bi-weekly clients please do but do yourself a favor and don't take anymore because in doing so your only hurting yourself.

exotion

exotion

The thing about the lawncare business is the fact that time is money and with doing Bi-weekly cuts your spending to much time to make any decent money. With the growing rates of grass in season, It takes more time to do bi-weekly cuts, it takes more gas to do bi-weekly cuts so unless your willing to charge twice your regular cutting rate you'll end up on the losing end because you'll never cover your bottom line at the end of the year and show very little profit and without a profit margin your business can't be maintained. If you want to keep the Bi-weekly clients please do but do yourself a favor and don't take anymore because in doing so your only hurting yourself.

So say one of my weekly customers pays me 25 dollars and I am there for 20 ish mins if that customer was a bi monthly customer I would charge 35 dollars and would probably take 30 mins there is a profit loss but if I had 15 weekly customers at 25 dollars a day I would be making 375 a day vs 15 bi monthly customers at 35 each a day I would be making 525 a day seems more profitable in the end to me....

Ric

Ric

So say one of my weekly customers pays me 25 dollars and I am there for 20 ish mins if that customer was a bi monthly customer I would charge 35 dollars and would probably take 30 mins there is a profit loss but if I had 15 weekly customers at 25 dollars a day I would be making 375 a day vs 15 bi monthly customers at 35 each a day I would be making 525 a day seems more profitable in the end to me....

That would be fine if it worked but it doesn't, because your 30 minute lawn turns into 40 because it will end up taking you that long to mow twice the amount of grass and take care of or remove twice the grass that you'll have on the weekly say nothing of using twice the amount of gas and wear and tear on your equipment and the money your spending on your vehicle getting to and from the job to do the job, so your profit just went out the window. Besides that you have to sell the bi-weekly for 35 to the client, which you can't do when they find out what your charging the guy down the road they will want the same rate. Remember a good majority of the time bi-weekly accounts are people who don't care about there lawns and don't want to pay for lawn care and if your in the business you don't need those accounts.

B

BR Lawn

I add them, but I charge higher per service than the weekly service clients (sample weekly $80 a month, bi weekly $55) and I don't offer them the perks of weekly clients, I charge them extra for the services if they want them. I explain the benefits of the weekly care and explain the perks of weekly care i.e. more consistent root growth, weed control, fertilizing and weed spraying included etc. Most will convert to weekly if you show the benefits and the cost difference. Currently I have 20% bi weekly and they are all on non premium days (ie mon tues. only!)

wjjones

wjjones

I would say explain to them that you can make it look nicer if you cut it weekly, because the grass gets too long, but then you said it is fine after 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Maybe have some sort of discount/offer if they switch over to weekly, but make sure you still make enough money from that service.

Thats what I do, and I have to turn away new customers by word of mouth travels fast. You have to make sure your not shorting yourself though.

wjjones

wjjones

Thats true because most of the time you have to run over it atleast twice to get it to look right which is more time, and fuel adding to your cost. I am cutting 2 loose next year because they have a hole digging turdlize spreading dog that is destroying the back yard, and my machine. Plus their grass grows like mad, and its like mowing a hay field at the 2 week mark. They refuse to do weekly so I am going to let them find someone else. If your a new outfit you hate to loose business but in the long run you will spend more than its worth to keep them happy. Just tell them what the price will be weekly, and they will except it, or move on there will be other yards.

Ric

Ric

Thats true because most of the time you have to run over it atleast twice to get it to look right which is more time, and fuel adding to your cost. I am cutting 2 loose next year because they have a hole digging turdlize spreading dog that is destroying the back yard, and my machine. Plus their grass grows like mad, and its like mowing a hay field at the 2 week mark. They refuse to do weekly so I am going to let them find someone else. If your a new outfit you hate to loose business but in the long run you will spend more than its worth to keep them happy. Just tell them what the price will be weekly, and they will except it, or move on there will be other yards.

If you do the bi-weekly thing I think you need to consider your mowing schedule and how much your making in that hour. Say your doing three lawns per hour at say $17.50 a cut, that's 52.50 per hour your making, that should be your bi-weekly per cut rate. If your Bi-weekly client doesn't like the rate tell them to find someone else and walk away. As far as I can see you can't afford to do it for any less and make money.

exotion

exotion

If you do the bi-weekly thing I think you need to consider your mowing schedule and how much your making in that hour. Say your doing three lawns per hour at say $17.50 a cut, that's 52.50 per hour your making, that should be your bi-weekly per cut rate. If your Bi-weekly client doesn't like the rate tell them to find someone else and walk away. As far as I can see you can't afford to do it for any less and make money.

Definately. All my bi monthly customers know if the grass grows to much that I have to run it over again I charge an overgrowth fee because that second time through while may not take as long as the first time still takes time and time is money. The fee is usually an extra 10 dollars this fee has made a few of those customers to move to weekly mowing as it was cheaper in the long run

Mike88se

Mike88se

I really agree with these two answers. Unfortunately you can't force customers to see the sense in that. Some will and some won't is my experience. If you can afford to drop them because your profit margin isn't good then that seems the best solution. I'm just a part timer though so take that for what it's worth.

Tell them it promotes root formation and gives you a thicker lawn thus having a nicer yard.

wjjones

wjjones

Yes sir Ric that makes perfect sense to me.

C

Crawdad

I add them, but I charge higher per service than the weekly service clients (sample weekly $80 a month, bi weekly $55) and I don't offer them the perks of weekly clients, I charge them extra for the services if they want them. I explain the benefits of the weekly care and explain the perks of weekly care i.e. more consistent root growth, weed control, fertilizing and weed spraying included etc. Most will convert to weekly if you show the benefits and the cost difference. Currently I have 20% bi weekly and they are all on non premium days (ie mon tues. only!)

Weekly, 80 a month? Even in the months when there are 5 cuts?

Holy Mackerel!

Here's how I've been known to do it...If someone's lawn is small enough to do for 30 bucks, and after I give them a 30 weekly price, they say they want it cut every other week, I tell them it's $45. I'm gonna have to mow it twice most times, but I don't have to double the rate to 60, because I'm only driving there and unloading once. I'm probably driving right past them anyhow, because I have a tight route.

10 day cuts? Not happening, I'm in a different neighborhood that day, and not going there for 1 lawn, just so they can save money.

This aint no hobby, folks!

lawnbarbers

lawnbarbers

Well in the beginning I agreed on every 2 weeks as I was trying to build my business. But as it went on its became annoying. The grass honestly is fine at every 2 weeks but still lol. Most I have at $35 some at $60-$70 depending on yard size. I live in WV so the grass only grows April-October so making a 12 month contract wouldn't make sense for me.
if you have time in your schedule the every 2weeks can put some $ in you pocket. I usual have these type of customer at the beginning of the week, they get no extras for free. They are also the first customer to be dropped when the weekly's start to come on board. I base all my yards on $1 a minute weekly or not, this way everyone is being charged the same. Then I do extras for the weekly customers. Everyone likes free! I'm starting to see recycling surcharge in my area...just like a fuel surcharge others charge.

The Don'z

The Don'z

What I have done in the past, is to tell them that I need to charge them extra (if it's a really thick lawn) for the wear and tear on my equipment and the extra fuel and time required to do their lawns,, I haven't had any complaints about it yet, and have had a few (but not many) customers go to every week mowing, especially during the spring/summer seasons. But currently almost all of my customers have dropped back to once a month due to winter and the cold snap we've had here in South Texas.

mikec280

mikec280

if you have time in your schedule the every 2weeks can put some $ in you pocket. I usual have these type of customer at the beginning of the week, they get no extras for free. They are also the first customer to be dropped when the weekly's start to come on board. I base all my yards on $1 a minute weekly or not, this way everyone is being charged the same. Then I do extras for the weekly customers. Everyone likes free! I'm starting to see recycling surcharge in my area...just like a fuel surcharge others charge.

Sorry for the late response I havemt been on here for a while. When you say free, what exactly do you offer? I'm just trying to get some ideas. I have a lot of customers that never give a definitive schedule confirmation. Some say oh well maybe 10 days or 2 wks. I know that's my fault for allowing it and I'm going to put my foot down before I get started back.

lawnbarbers

lawnbarbers

Sorry for the late response I havemt been on here for a while. When you say free, what exactly do you offer? I'm just trying to get some ideas. I have a lot of customers that never give a definitive schedule confirmation. Some say oh well maybe 10 days or 2 wks. I know that's my fault for allowing it and I'm going to put my foot down before I get started back.
By free I mean blowing the driveway of sand and stuff...we won't charge for extra bags...if they have bags from weeding the garden we will take them with us to recycle centre for no charge...also cleaning up yard of toys so we can do our service...just a few ideas...everything has a value if we put a price to it

C

CardinalLawnCare

Actually, it is really troublesome. I also dealt with 2 week customers in the past so I decided to adjust my packages. Just like you, I also offered the same packages so what I did is that I explained to them that there are better deals rather than cutting their grasses every 2 weeks. Some disagreed but most of them decided to get a better package.