What size yard for riding mower?

Just kept thinking what does the size of the yard matter? A flat 1/2 is not the same as a hilly 1/2. I have a hilly 1/2 and I use a Simplicity Conquest. The locker sure helps when I am going up the hills in the wet while I am core aerating. I also like the cut a Simplicity gives me. Love those stripes.

I was talking to a neighbor and uses a push mower for his 1/2 and put a GPS on and walked three miles. Bagged 10 brown paper bags of clippings. Nah not for me. I will let that big engine and the mulcher deck do its job.
 
Maybe the lady has medical problems and can't push mow. I think you get what you want. If you want to ride a lawnmower to mow then so be it. For me, I could push a half acre... or so I think! :biggrin:
 
While you can walk behind a push mower that is self propelled, It's a lot easier to ride... but then you do miss out on the exorcise.
I would try to figure out how to justify a rider... and then join a gym:laughing:....if it got up to around 1/2 acres. KennyV
 
I think it is also a question of time and prestige. Many feel that cutting the grass is just an unpleasant and time consuming chore. (I don't, but that's me). A riding mower is a great deal faster than a push mower. And then there is the prestige angle. I have a friend that lives in an older part of the city of Toronto. He has a lawn which is only about 35 by 30 in front, and 40 by 50 in back. He keeps telling me he wants a riding mower. Just so he could leave the garage door open, so people could see it! :rolleyes:
 
I think it is also a question of time and prestige. Many feel that cutting the grass is just an unpleasant and time consuming chore. (I don't, but that's me). A riding mower is a great deal faster than a push mower. And then there is the prestige angle. I have a friend that lives in an older part of the city of Toronto. He has a lawn which is only about 35 by 30 in front, and 40 by 50 in back. He keeps telling me he wants a riding mower. Just so he could leave the garage door open, so people could see it! :rolleyes:


At least he is honest
I'm sure we all know people who will tell you they need a nice ridding mower to cut a small yard because they don't have time for a push mower yet will spend all day Saturday on the couch watching TV. Same guy feels bad about the excersize bike in the corner that gathers dust or the 2 yr contract he signed for the fitness club membership when the doctor told him he better get his weight under control.
Anyway... I'm thinkin 1/2 an acre can be pushed off and you shouldn't feel like you owe your life to the lawn. But whatever you do don't skip a week when it's raining regularly. High grass with a push mower is not what I call fun.
I still think the self propelled mowers are too slow, but I realize i'm the only one:tongue:
 
Those dimensaions sound like about a 1/4 acre lot which does seem a bit small for a riding mower. But you do make a good point about a possible medical condition
 
For what it is worth, I have a total 200' X 220' lot. I mowed it for 10 years with a push mower. Then I got a 48" mower. Now after 25 years with the 48' mower I now have a 62' mower on my tractor and the only time I use the push mower is 1 or 2 times a year. I'm now 66 yo and two bad hips and I would not want to mow a strip 10' X 30' :smile:
 
Back
Top