What is this leak?

lawndude88

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Hustler Raptor has a slow leak. The fluid on the garage floor is after 2 weeks of being in the same spot. It is a slow leak.

What can I do to fix this?

euzt3i7.jpg

mCnufFz.jpg

Last edited:

lawndude88

Forum Newbie
Threads
The metal plate that says OHV, at the bottom left is where the leak is coming from.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Valve cover gasket leaking engine oil, looks to me.
Most likely it is the valve cover gasket that is shot... Best thing to do is clean the area up around it and it will be easier to confirm it is the valve cover gasket leaking.
the OHV stands for Over Head Valve. check your oil level as well to be sure it isn't over full.
post the engine model number, (they are usually stamped on one of the valve covers)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Valve cover gasket leaking engine oil, looks to me.
Most likely it is the valve cover gasket that is shot... Best thing to do is clean the area up around it and it will be easier to confirm it is the valve cover gasket leaking.
the OHV stands for Over Head Valve. check your oil level as well to be sure it isn't over full.
post the engine model number, (they are usually stamped on one of the valve covers)
Valve cover looks like Kohler, so could be RTV sealant on the covers and not a gasket. Also the Model number may be located on a sticker on the engine cover that could be missing at this point.

lawndude88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Valve cover looks like Kohler, so could be RTV sealant on the covers and not a gasket. Also the Model number may be located on a sticker on the engine cover that could be missing at this point.

Thanks for your response. Here is the model and serial number.

ZPRQySc.png

Is this an issue I can ignore? Is it possible to patch up with JB Weld or something like that? I am new to this. Oil level is perfect.

Thank You,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh you could ignore it but it will only get worst.

You got to be kidding about using JB Weld products. They are the worst products I ever tried.

This is a job for Permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Grey RTV. Everything must clean to bare metal and be oil free. Here I even use the surface prep/accelerate A 1/16" bead is applied to the rocker cover and the cover is installed with the screw just finger tight for 12-24 hours (no starting the engine during this time) and once cured torque the screws to 65 in-lbs.

Side note while you got the cover off check and set the valve clearances. To remove the rocker covers that are installed with RTV you need to shear them off using a 1x or 2x (with 2x being perferred) wooden board and a heavy hammer.

Also the screw closest to the exhaust port tends to be seized and may break off. IF it does then it must drilled and retap to M7-100 and a proper screw installed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
JB Weld make moisture cured RTV goops. Works better than Permatex.

Capture.PNG