Export thread

What is the fastest killer of deck spindles?

S

SidecarFlip

Besides no maintenance..:thumbdown:

I think number one is the Cub Cadet 'Deck wash' system. Guaranteed to destroy a spindle or spindles quick. Second is mowing the yard and sucking a piece of poly baler twine. That poly twine destroys the grease seal pronto, melts from friction and then eats up the lower bearing no matter if it has grease or not...

Been there, did that on both counts.

Lets hear some good ones....

I

ILENGINE

Fastest killer is solid objects like the water meter.

Boobala

Boobala

NOPE ......... A Colt Model 1911, 45 Cal. .. ULTRA FAST !!!! .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

S

SidecarFlip

Fastest killer is solid objects like the water meter.

Your comment reminded me of an incident I had when mowing but not with the lawnmower.

I was mowing a hayfield with my JD MoCo (that I use on fields I'm not familiar with because a disc machine can suffer severe driveline damage if it hits hidden objects) where as a sickle bar mower is immune to most all objects, anyway, I was mowing the headlands and this field was next to a sub division and hidden in the hay-grass was a live electrical hookup and I mowed it. I had the 'blue Flame' under the mower as I severed the service cables. Probably 200 amp 220-1 service. Kept on mowing but when I got back to the farm and lifted the machine up and looked underneath, there was a foot long blue black trail on the skid shoe where the live cable grounded to the mower. Needless to say I carefully avoided that part of the headlands from then on out.

In one of those round bales was a length of burned copper cable, whomever got them got a bonus. I was running the field on contract.

In the past, I've mowed fawns and a few Grouse but never an electrical cable. Pretty hard to avoid animals bedding in the hay. You cannot see them until you are on top of them and it's almost impossible to stop in time.

S

SidecarFlip

NOPE ......... A Colt Model 1911, 45 Cal. .. ULTRA FAST !!!! .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Why would you shoot a spindle anyway? Don't get that. 1911's don't have that much kinetic energy anyway in the 45ACP flavor.

Glock 19

Boobala

Boobala

GLOCK .. Thee "CHOICE" hand-held device ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_D9weITWDI&t=5s

P

Pumper54

Actually my friend the .45 APC is a rather slow round averaging about 950 fps, now the 7.5 FK Brnois considered the fastest at 2000 fps with a 103-gr., .30-cal. bullet.
Tom

Boobala

Boobala

You guys better vote the "RIGHT" way in Nov. to make sure we don't lose our 2nd Amendment rights !! .. :thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

Your comment reminded me of an incident I had when mowing but not with the lawnmower.

I was mowing a hayfield with my JD MoCo (that I use on fields I'm not familiar with because a disc machine can suffer severe driveline damage if it hits hidden objects) where as a sickle bar mower is immune to most all objects, anyway, I was mowing the headlands and this field was next to a sub division and hidden in the hay-grass was a live electrical hookup and I mowed it. I had the 'blue Flame' under the mower as I severed the service cables. Probably 200 amp 220-1 service. Kept on mowing but when I got back to the farm and lifted the machine up and looked underneath, there was a foot long blue black trail on the skid shoe where the live cable grounded to the mower. Needless to say I carefully avoided that part of the headlands from then on out.

In one of those round bales was a length of burned copper cable, whomever got them got a bonus. I was running the field on contract.

In the past, I've mowed fawns and a few Grouse but never an electrical cable. Pretty hard to avoid animals bedding in the hay. You cannot see them until you are on top of them and it's almost impossible to stop in time.
Jav

Never know what you may find laying in a field or other places. Had a neighbor wind 1/2 mile of the new neighbors temporary phone in the rotary cutter. Have cut bailing twine, bailing wire, pantyhose, underwear and dog chains and cables out from under customers mower lawn mower decks. I have a customer I think she would try to mow an anvil if it grew on her property.

J

John Fitzgerald

Jav

Never know what you may find laying in a field or other places. Had a neighbor wind 1/2 mile of the new neighbors temporary phone in the rotary cutter. Have cut bailing twine, bailing wire, pantyhose, underwear and dog chains and cables out from under customers mower lawn mower decks. I have a customer I think she would try to mow an anvil if it grew on her property.

I've had neighbors like that. Never picked up things.

I

ILENGINE

John, her yard is clean and well maintained, the problem is she likes to try to mower overgrown area outside of her yard and also try to mower around oil field pump jacks that have discarded things from the oil field laying in the weeds. Two years ago the oil field company had to replace her deck after hitting a discarded 4 inch high pressure valve. I have had to straighten the new deck 3 times and weld the deck hangars back on once so far this year.

B

bertsmobile1

Jav

Funny you should say panty hose.
One of the customers is always having her blades jambed up with panty hose, panties & the odd napkin.
I could never understand how the hell one woman could get all those panty hose in her yard.
It eventually came out that she liked to mow the verge behind her 6' pailing fence at the back of the property.
The other side of the road is a cutting which gives you a nice secluded view which makes it a popular parking spot for the local youths

S

SidecarFlip

Actually my friend the .45 APC is a rather slow round averaging about 950 fps, now the 7.5 FK Brnois considered the fastest at 2000 fps with a 103-gr., .30-cal. bullet.
Tom

Hate to break your bubble but my Smith and Wesson 460 XVR wheel gun shooting 230 grain Hornady 452 flex tips (factory) chrono's at 2700 fps muzzle and my 250 grain .452 Hornady XTP's in Starline brass with a load of Lil Gun chrono's at 2900 Fps muzzle, 2000 fps is SLOW. At 50 yards, I can drill a hole in 3/16" AR 500 plate with it. Not a pretty round hole, but a hole none the less.

S

Selluwud

Besides no maintenance..:thumbdown:

I think number one is the Cub Cadet 'Deck wash' system. Guaranteed to destroy a spindle or spindles quick. Second is mowing the yard and sucking a piece of poly baler twine. That poly twine destroys the grease seal pronto, melts from friction and then eats up the lower bearing no matter if it has grease or not...

Been there, did that on both counts.

Lets hear some good ones....

Cheap low gauge mowing deck that rust through allowing the belt tension to pull it over and throw the belt. Get out the welder.

S

SidecarFlip

Been there did that too with a cheapo MTD (More Tools Desired) riding mower with a tinfoil lasts 2 seasons deck. Glad my Cub has a fabricated steel deck, should last a while, has lasted 7 years now.

I grew up not far from the original MTD plant in Cleveland, Ohio, right off West 130th Street and Brookpark Road. MTD stands for Modern Tool and Die btw. I believe they are still there but I could be wrong. They have a huge facility in Mansfield, Ohio and a couple other ones scattered around the state.

Short run automotive stamping used to be their mainstay until they got into lawn care machines.

P

Pumper54

Hate to break your bubble but my Smith and Wesson 460 XVR wheel gun shooting 230 grain Hornady 452 flex tips (factory) chrono's at 2700 fps muzzle and my 250 grain .452 Hornady XTP's in Starline brass with a load of Lil Gun chrono's at 2900 Fps muzzle, 2000 fps is SLOW. At 50 yards, I can drill a hole in 3/16" AR 500 plate with it. Not a pretty round hole, but a hole none the less.

I was running with info that was several years old, I have been shooting for almost 50 and to be honest I don't think I would want to shoot either of those guns. ;-) I kinda like my wrists the way there are not.... not hurting too badly
Tom

S

SidecarFlip

Been hunting big game and shooting about that long as well, I'm almost 70. The 460 and 500 Smith's are very tame shooters, especially the 460 because it comes with a huge ported muzzle brake. I can actually fire it one handed and I'm not a big person. I cannot do that with my 44 mag, plus it weighs almost 8 pounds or about what my 308 hunting rifle weighs.

Having said that though, if I'm shooting at an animal (I use the 460 to hunt with, deer, moose and whatever comes my way), I hardly ever shoot it offhand. Usually with it's bi-pod on a suitable surface or propped against a tree trunk but that is how I shoot my rifles as well. I know of very few accomplished hunters that can accurately shoot a rifle at distance, offhand and hit anything, or a handgun. I use whatever is available, be it a truck hood, rock, a backpack or tree trunk.

Not really germane to this forum but worth noting.

mhavanti

mhavanti

SidecarFlip,

Why you gotta bring Germaine into this?

Max

Boobala

Boobala

Guys when I said Ultra-Fast I wasn't meaning muzzle velocities.. I MEANT, faster than water intrusion or striking a solid object, anyway here's a sure-fire way to ruin your spindles life in a shorter amount of time.....

71hVT-+-6ML._SL1000_.jpg...62201_zzz_alt6_500_2.jpg

I know a lot of guys will argue "Sealed-Bearings" , well...let em believe that water can't get into those type bearings.

D

Darryl G

Never had to replace a spindle so I wouldn't know for sure. I suspect that the fact that I've never had to replace one (all non-greasable) has something to do with always properly balancing my blades with my Magna-Matic balancer and never using water under my decks. So I guess just do the opposite of me to destroy your spindles :)

S

SidecarFlip

I'm on the fence with greaseable spindles anyway. Mine are but one has to be careful how much grease you pump in because an over zealous greasing can displace the seals and cause way more grief down the road. I've never balanced a blade but then I don't sharpen them either. They are cheap enough that I just replace them every spring.

D

Darryl G

I balance even my new blades...some come pretty out of balance.

tom3

tom3

Guys when I said Ultra-Fast I wasn't meaning muzzle velocities.. I MEANT, faster than water intrusion or striking a solid object, anyway here's a sure-fire way to ruin your spindles life in a shorter amount of time.....

View attachment 40396...View attachment 40397

I know a lot of guys will argue "Sealed-Bearings" , well...let em believe that water can't get into those type bearings.

Yep, learned that with an old Jeep. Hot bearings, cold water, instant cool down creates a vacuum and draws in the water and crud. Maybe just a small amount but that's all it takes.

I

ILENGINE

attachment.php
attachment.php

Actually most seals are designed to prevent things from getting out, and not to stop stuff from getting in.

I

ILENGINE

Been there did that too with a cheapo MTD (More Tools Desired) riding mower with a tinfoil lasts 2 seasons deck. Glad my Cub has a fabricated steel deck, should last a while, has lasted 7 years now.

I grew up not far from the original MTD plant in Cleveland, Ohio, right off West 130th Street and Brookpark Road. MTD stands for Modern Tool and Die btw. I believe they are still there but I could be wrong. They have a huge facility in Mansfield, Ohio and a couple other ones scattered around the state.

Short run automotive stamping used to be their mainstay until they got into lawn care machines.

We always said MTD stood for Murray Tractor Division, but an instructor at my local MTD distributor that was in charge of annual training always said it stood for Make Technicians Drink.

S

SidecarFlip

You have to admire MTD. They went from short run automotive stamping to the largest builder of residential lawn mowers and riders in the world. Could have worked there when I was a young man out of the Navy. Instead I took my apprenticeship at another shop in Cleveland that made the airfoil blades for the compressor section of a J5 Pratt-Whitney aircraft engine. Very exacting work, very, very tedious too. Tight tolerances, 0.005 or better.

I believe, could be wrong but I think MTD builds the John Deer line of riders the box stores sells. I know they aren't made in Horicon, Wisconsin.

S

SidecarFlip

Actually most seals are designed to prevent things from getting out, and not to stop stuff from getting in.

I get kind of anal about my farm (hay implements and I used to do just that to my 40 grand round baler and seized a bearing on an upper roll and that cost me around 600 bucks to repair, not including downtime and a baler rental because I had a field to bale.....

Now, I just blow the chaff off, grease it, oil the chains and call it good. Lesson learned, pressure washers are death on bearings, why I mentioned the CC deck wash as a good candidate to destroy spindle bearings. My Tank has them, never used them.

I

ILENGINE

You have to admire MTD. They went from short run automotive stamping to the largest builder of residential lawn mowers and riders in the world. Could have worked there when I was a young man out of the Navy. Instead I took my apprenticeship at another shop in Cleveland that made the airfoil blades for the compressor section of a J5 Pratt-Whitney aircraft engine. Very exacting work, very, very tedious too. Tight tolerances, 0.005 or better.

I believe, could be wrong but I think MTD builds the John Deer line of riders the box stores sells. I know they aren't made in Horicon, Wisconsin.

Actually Husqvarna is the largest producer of consumer lawn equipment or were up to just a few years ago. Years ago was at one of my annual meetings, and they had the nationwide Walmart distribution map which at that time Murray was its own company. MTD controlled east of the Mississippi and north of I-70, Murray had east of the Mississippi and south of I-70, and Husqvarna had everything west of the Mississippi river under the poulan name, and that was 5% of Husqvarna's annual production. Now Husqvarna is getting out of the consumer walk behinds and economy riding mowers, so MTD will be taking over the entire Walmart line under the Murray and Snapper brand names.

Heck at this point you never know who is going to be making what for which company. Briggs which owns Murray, and Simplicity/snapper is farming the Snapper line of mowers sold at Walmart out to MTD along with the Murray products, Briggs is farming out the Brute tillers, and edgers to Earthquake,

Business & the bottom line.......