Tom lemka

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 25 hpkohler no spark

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There are several ignition systems on Kohler engines and we actually need the model and spec numbers to determine which you actually have.

The DSAI system is one I know that has been discontinued and have an upgrade kit for it. I honestly don't remember if the smart spark is being discontinued or not. I don't see enough Kohler engines in the shop have the info sticking in my head.

But if you have the smart spark system you still need it most times as it control the ignition coils.

Smart-Spark™ Advance Ignition System
SMART-SPARK™ equipped engines utilize an electronic capacitive discharge ignition system with electronic spark
advance. A typical application consists of following components:
● 1 magnet assembly which is permanently affixed to flywheel.
● 2 electronic capacitive discharge ignition modules which mount on engine crankcase.
● 1 spark advance module which mounts to engine shrouding.
● 1 12 volt battery which supplies current to spark advance module.
● 1 kill switch (or key switch) which grounds spark advance module to stop engine.
● 2 spark plugs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the engine shroud and look at the coils. If they have a single small wire it is not DSAI. if you have multiple small wires to the coils you have a DSAI system.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hammer, DSAI is different than the Smart Spark system. Kohler actually used three different systems originally so it is now one of four possible systems that could be in use.

Smart Spark which used an extra controller for the ignition coils. This very much similar to use of Ignitor on Kawasaki engines except there two control terminals on the coil.

DSAI (Digital Spark Advance Ignition) which had the electronic inside each coil. This has been replace with the MDI (Magneto Digital Ignition). DSAI coils has three terminals. MDI uses one terminal. I have converted a couple of these systems so it is possible to have a MDI coil instead of a Fixed Timing coil.

Fixed Timing Magneto ignition. Use one terminal coils.

This why the model and spec numbers are need to find out which system the OP has.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check and make sure that your voltage supply is not the problem. A dirty connection in the system can cause all kinds of problems.