Export thread

what do you lift your mower with ??? to work on !!!

R

rclark

been using 2x12 ramps but they get in the way trying to do anything.anyone use a chain hoist and jack stands ? seen acouple lifts but they are quite pricey. need your idea's please. Thanks, rod

K

KennyV

Long ago I used a swing set and chain fall... now I use a tractor with forks on the front loader... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I just lift them up and put something underneath -- or put the mower on a bench. :wink:

:laughing: But y'all are talking about those big ole tractor-mowers. :laughing:

LB-6255-02.JPG

Parkmower

Parkmower

To het under the deck i use a chain fall on a ZT. Just put a strap around front frame piece then just lift til engine almost hits the ground in back. Leave it attached to hoist and put jackstand under while I work

dwelder

dwelder

I usually flip mine half way over and leen the steering wheel against a wall or something sturdy. Just make sure you flip it on the opposite side of the breather.

SONOFADOCKER

SONOFADOCKER

At work I have a in the floor hydro lift with a steel plate 4x4 feet . At home four steel car jacks for belt repair or general cleaning .

J

jamesslcx

I need to find a better way to lift mine, I use a floor jack and wooden blocks. By the way nice Lawn-boy Two-Stroke!

A

Ariena

Jack and stands on my ZTR.

C

crazyoldtractor

jack stands or ramps.

akretowicz

akretowicz

Bought one of those Mo-Jacks. Love it! :thumbsup:

G

Giles

I use a "cherry picker" (engine hoist) and it leaves the entire underside unobstructed.
For safety, I have several different lengths of black iron pipe that are split in half to slide over the hydraulic piston rod. I always release cylinder until the pipe is tight and then close valve. I also use jack stands when possible.:thumbsup:
One of the best tools I have. I have used it to unload truck many times and for other lifting jobs.
I did a lot of fabrication on a fireplace insert and it was easy to move it from one spot to another and to put it in different positions. I took it with me to buy the insert--lifted it and rolled it into bed of truck.
It also folds up for storage.:smile:

jmurray01

jmurray01

I don't have a ride on mower, but if I did, I'd probably use those wheel ramps.

rmancini

rmancini

Bought one of those Mo-Jacks. Love it! :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about the Mojack. There's two models - which one did you get ?
Also been looking at the Turf Buddy TurfBuddy Lifts - J&S Jacks
Rich

R

rclark

Thanks for all the idea's. been thinking about the mojack or the turfbuddy.not sure yet.mowing season is just about over for this year.maybe i'll get one for christmas. Thanks again, Rod

Parkmower

Parkmower

Northern tool catalog has a mower fast jack for around $169. Looks interesting.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Ohio Steel Zero-Turn Mower Lift, Model# TL4500

Only : $169.99

Tried to post link. But can't from iPod. They make one for Lt also.

reddragon

reddragon

im low budget....i usually either jack it up on its side or put it on jack stands

B

benski

Currently drive the mower up on my 5X8 trailer, and then put it up on 4 jackstands. I'm hoping to buy a used Genie lift, old forklift, or make my own rack using an electric winch and some through bolts for safety. I don't even want to think of the troubles involved in some 400 to 800 lb. mower crashing down on top of me.:eek:

O

oldyellr

The OP doesn't state exactly how big his tractor is. My two RERs each weigh no more than 400 lbs and I find a bumper jack works for most maintenance work. You know, one from about 30 years ago, when cars still had real bumpers.

1966-beaumont-chevelle-bumper-jack-original_5222038.jpg

Parkmower

Parkmower

oldyellr said:
The OP doesn't state exactly how big his tractor is. My two RERs each weigh no more than 400 lbs and I find a bumper jack works for most maintenance work. You know, one from about 30 years ago, when cars still had real bumpers.

I think that one the best. Saw one at an estate sale last month for $20. Thought that too pricey. Wish I'd got it now

O

oldyellr

You could probably find a bumper jack at an auto wreckers. Full size vans and pickup trucks still have steel bumpers.

ssgricker

ssgricker

I lift it by hand and use 7x6 cribbing so its secure.

V

vapoppa

with 70 hp tractor & 2600 lb loader for ferris 5100 zt.

V

Vern2

Pick it up with a front loader, from a welded hook on the bucket and chain around the front axle. D170 is 572 lbs with 2 1/2 gal of gas. Then I have my wife :eek: set in front of it with an impac wrench, it's about straight up in the air to change the blades, resting on it's back tires. I don't have room for a ramp, too many boy tools. My wife has used all the boy tools. Being a Tom Boy like my Marine Daughter, she likes the shop. Shop Link Yes, my daughteris is a better shoot then her dad.

D170.jpg

Vern

R

repeters

I put a 4 post car lift in my garage about 8 years ago and I made an adapter to drive the tractor on and the complete bottom is accessible. can change over from mower to plow in less than 1/2 the time it did when it was done on the ground. Plus I get to check out the complete underneath.

B

berniebenz

Talking about riding mowers, not heavy tractors or walk behinds, I use 2 x 6 ramps on 6 x 6 blocks, front or rear. If you run up to where the wheels are over the blocks one can turn /twist the ramps sideways providing full access underneath.

Also one can buy or weld up an axle lever lifter. Placed under the front or rear axle and forcing the vertical handle to the ground, it levers the axle up several inches and locks it there in an over center position.

E

earthworm

I think I'll try the automotive ramps and a floor jack combo and some strategically placed stands..This, of course, is not nearly as nice and convenient as a four post hydraulic lift...which could cost $30K, garage and all.

S

slip

Re: what do you lift your mower with, Safety first!

I have a safety suggestion for the readers. I put a shackle in the towing tab on the back of my riding lawnmower and pulled it almost vertical with a come along attached to a rafter in my garage. I was welding something on the bottom of the mower, and never thought that gas would leak out of the gas tank under the hood onto the floor. It didn't take more than a minute or two before I had a fire blazing under the mower. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher close by and was able to put the fire out immediately. Moral: Gas will leak. A fire extinguisher will pay for itself sooner or later.

C

cabdor

I USE A WINCH I BOUGHT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT FOR $50.00 PLUS. WORKS WILL WITH A 2X2 STEEL TUBING ACROSS RAFTERS IN MY SHED. OF COURSE NEVER NEVER GET UNDER YOUR LIFT OR MOWER WHILE YOU HAVE IT OFF THE FLOOR WITH OUT JACK STANDS OR WOOD BLOCKING BE SURE TO MAKE IT SAFE. YOU CAN MOVE THEM AROUND TO HAVE ACCESS TO PARTS YOU NEED TO WORK ON. MY WINCH IS 12 VOLTS MOST OF THE TIME I USED THE BATTERY ON THE MOWER TO MAKE THE LIFT.
THIS WORKS WILL FOR ME. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU LIFT YOUR WITH BE SAFE.

F

fastback

Depends on what I am doing. Tires, I use a floor jack. For general work I use my 4 post, ramp type car lift. This works great for steering linkage, belts and elecric clutch removal. I also use the lift to store tractors in the winter.

S

SeniorCitizen

been using 2x12 ramps but they get in the way trying to do anything.anyone use a chain hoist and jack stands ? seen acouple lifts but they are quite pricey. need your idea's please. Thanks, rod
For serious maintenance I put it up on four points for a convenient working height.

Since you already have 2x12s put it in your PU truck and have the wife hold the rear up while you place a couple of saw horses under the rear wheels.

Attachments

Briana

Briana

Re: what do you lift your mower with, Safety first!

I have a safety suggestion for the readers. I put a shackle in the towing tab on the back of my riding lawnmower and pulled it almost vertical with a come along attached to a rafter in my garage. I was welding something on the bottom of the mower, and never thought that gas would leak out of the gas tank under the hood onto the floor. It didn't take more than a minute or two before I had a fire blazing under the mower. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher close by and was able to put the fire out immediately. Moral: Gas will leak. A fire extinguisher will pay for itself sooner or later.

Wow, slip. Thank you for stressing the importance of having a fire extinguisher handy!

Mowerdawg

Mowerdawg

Another great tool I had was a cherry picker that the hyd bottle went south on. I welded the arm in a stationary position, drilled and attached deck spindle bearings shaft and pulleys on the end and at the crook in the arm. Then attached an electric winch to the base, ran the cable up to the first pulley then out to the end pulley then down to the mower. Great for us older mower mechs!!!!!!!!

handymansmith

handymansmith

hey - I bought this turf buddy jack online. Think it will be great for maintenance. Didn't break the bank either. Only $200. The you tube video totally sold me on how easy it is to use.