What could be the problem? Stator, Regulator??

clodizzle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

All of a sudden the battery on my mower keeps dying. I am trying to figure out what the problem is. This is how it happend

So I was dumb and did something really stupid. I was having troubles with the battery staying charge. Long story short it was a bad stator. Had it replaced and kept mowing for about another 2 weeks with no problem. One afternoon I get on it and the battery is dead. I bring the battery to get tested and it was bad due to jumping it off so many times in the past before changing the stator. I put the new battery on and mowing with no problems again. About 2 weeks later I get on and the mow wont start again. I put the cables on the mower and hooked it up and immediatly noticed smoke coming from the cables. Long story short the bolt on the positive post was touching some metal on the mower and Im thinking it shorted something out. Not sure what it could be. I'm wondering if I maybe need another stator, or a regulator? I had the battery tested it it is still good so I'm thinking its the stator or regulator. Please let me know what you guys think it could be??????

Thanks

P.S I jumped it off a few more times and kept using it. Kept dying on me because I have an electric clutch. Now its home and ready to be worked on. Just dont konw where to start.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the engine model and serial numbers and I'll try to find a procedure for testing the charging system on your unit.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You had smoke so that means you melted something Start looking at all the wires look for any burnt spots and repair them.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))