Export thread

What carb is this?

I

I_mow_meatballs

Trying to breathe some life into a late 80’s 4hp MAX engine. Got spark, will sputter on starter fluid but plug is dry. Fills the bowl with fuel. Figured I should rebuild or replace the carb.
Anyone know what rebuild kit or complete carb I need? The manual specifies several types of LMS-X carbs.

Attachments

tom3

tom3

About a hundred of those on EBay for 10 or 12 dollars. Compare pictures and check the fitment numbers. Pretty generic carb used on millions of B&S motors.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

"Genuine replacement carburetor kit for single cylinder engines. This OEM part is used on select 3.5 and 4 HP Max Series, Quantum, and 5 HP Industrial Plus horizontal shaft engines and ensures proper fit and performance to maintain the life of your Briggs & Stratton engine. "

Can you find the model number of the engine? should be stamped near the sparkplug or muffler.

I

I_mow_meatballs

"Genuine replacement carburetor kit for single cylinder engines. This OEM part is used on select 3.5 and 4 HP Max Series, Quantum, and 5 HP Industrial Plus horizontal shaft engines and ensures proper fit and performance to maintain the life of your Briggs & Stratton engine. "

Can you find the model number of the engine? should be stamped near the sparkplug or muffler.
Model number is 110788 0182 01.

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Look at the numbers below the CODE... that will determine which carb or kit you need.
CARB1.PNG

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So your Code is 88090708
So i believe you would need the 3rd one down in the list, (LMS-1,-3,XXX1,&Xxx3)

StarTech

StarTech

THe 498260 does not fit all of the carburetors. This engine is also 1988 so used the after date code line unless you have LMS 10 or 11.

110788-0182-01 carb info.JPG

398158 supersedes to 494349
398669 supersedes to 494349
490931 supersedes to 494349
492495 supersedes to 498260

398901 supersedes to 492498
491330 supersedes to 492496
491331 supersedes to 492545
492545 supersedes to 492545

S

slomo

About a hundred of those on EBay for 10 or 12 dollars. Compare pictures and check the fitment numbers. Pretty generic carb used on millions of B&S motors.
Easy there. I have a 4hp MAX series 190cc Briggs. For my engine, that carb is discontinued, no replacement carb listed. Unless you know some other will cross over and run proper??

slomo

S

slomo

Trying to breathe some life into a late 80’s 4hp MAX engine. Got spark, will sputter on starter fluid but plug is dry. Fills the bowl with fuel. Figured I should rebuild or replace the carb.
Anyone know what rebuild kit or complete carb I need? The manual specifies several types of LMS-X carbs.
Does your carb have the bowl nut that has the main jet protruding from it? On the bottom of the fuel bowl, look for a screw with a spring. Yours might have a simple bolt. Mine has the main jet adjustment screw.

slomo

S

slomo

Looks like the OP carb just has a bowl nut. Different engine series than mine. My engine has a commercial like dual air filter element.

slomo

I

I_mow_meatballs

I tore the thing apart. The float chamber was severely corroded and most of the passageways were plugged. The float bowl screw had no internal jet, it was a plain screw. Threw me for a loop for a while, figured someone had messed with it before me at first. Anyway spent some time with carb cleaner and some fine steel wire to clear up the ports and it started right up. Thanks for the advice guys, I might order a complete carb anyway just because the thing is so cruddy.

S

slomo

Got to love E10 fuel. Did it look like someone poured acid inside the bowl? That is what E10 fuel will do.

slomko

I

I_mow_meatballs

Strangely the bowl was pretty decent, but the body of the carb that makes up the rest of the float chamber is horrible. I think the mower has been sitting for at least a decade or two.

S

slomo

I meant inside the carb body, my bad. I've had them where you couldn't even get the main jet out from all the corrosion.

slomo