wet snow, how much hp

5speed

Forum Newbie
Threads
With wet snow will a big hp snow blower [8-10 hp] work without clogging? or does the hp have nothing to do with it?

thanks

JSB33

Threads
While more HP is nice and always welcome, HP alone is not that big a factor in snow blower performance.
To me, the design of the blower itself has a lot more to do with efficient snow removal than how many HP your engine has. The man running the machine has a lot to do with it as well, you can't charge into wet snow at high speed or by using the full width of the machine. You will get clogged up sometimes, its a given. And the size of the engine isn't going to change that as long as you are not using an underpowered machine that is not made for the type of work you are expecting out of it.
I used a 5.5 HP machine for years in Lake County Ohio. Most of the times it clogged was me biting off too much with a pass.

I will say that I upgraded to a 8HP Ariens last year and it was very impressive but it has as much to do with the machine as a whole than just the bigger engine.

impalass

Threads
With wet snow will a big hp snow blower [8-10 hp] work without clogging? or does the hp have nothing to do with it?

thanks
Wet snow will not clog, only slush will clog the chute.

Threads
I had experience last March snowblowing slush. The snow would sometimes shoot out a couple feet, but a lot of the time it would just come out in big chunks and plop next to the machine.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

Here are some things you can do help not clog the chute:

1. Let your snowblower sit outside in the cold before snowblowing so the chute gets colder and the snow doesn't melt as quickly when coming out of the chute.
  2. Put a non-stick spray on the chute to help the snow slide out better.
  3. Blow the snow before the sun hits it, or after it has time to get colder again.

(tricks for snowblowing wet snow - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Isn't slush just really wet snow? :laughing:

I've used toro commercial snowblowers depends on how thick the slush I sometimes would be more effective to nearly run with the blower gives it less time to clog on the other hand thicker stuff would need half passes and a slow pace

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boy its hard to think snow when the outside temp is in the 90s. I blow snow with a single stage 36in 12 hp Wheelhorse. Wet snow is a problem and I find that I have to go much slower. As for myself when the first snow comes and its wet I hire a snow plow to do my driveway.

possum

Threads
Blowing slush can be done most of the times just like Fanatic is showing in his pictures. His tips help a bunch as well. Wet snow that is deep and just to much for a snowblower it can be helpful to get a larger engine. The problem oftentimes is the larger engine comes with a much wider intake and a person still has problems. The MTD types in 24 inch or a little better seem to work well in wet stuff. The old Nomas in the same size worked pretty good.

ericds

Threads
I have a Troy bilt 30" commercial snow thrower that I bought 2 seasons ago. It's awesome! It has only clogged once and that was bc I was going full speed through heavy slush to see what it could do, even then it did good. I also have the snow shield and highly recommend lol