Welding on a generator frame question

Ocean909

Threads
I have a small non inverter generator with a battery tray that is an oddball size. I'd like to weld on a new one. Will welding on the frame damage the electronics, AVR etc. I've heard a few different answers and was wondering if there is any definitive advice. FYI its a 7 HP Honda clone.
Thanks to all who reply.

GerryB

Threads
I have a small non inverter generator with a battery tray that is an oddball size. I'd like to weld on a new one. Will welding on the frame damage the electronics, AVR etc. I've heard a few different answers and was wondering if there is any definitive advice. FYI its a 7 HP Honda clone.
Thanks to all who reply.
Shouldn't be a problem or cause damage to weld on the generator frame if caution is used. The only caution is to place the welding ground clamp adjacent to where the welding will be done. Even this shouldn't be an issue but doing so prevents stray current from possibly passing through any electronics. Most probably the only electronics within the unit you describe are diodes and capacitor to create the excitation potential. Inverter generators a different story which our company initially created. These are chock full of electronic components including CPU and stepping motors. Even then, I wouldn't be concerned with careful frame welding.

Gord Baker

Threads
Thanks to all who reply.
To be safe, Bolt it on. Done.