Export thread

Welcome to the Electric & Battery Operated Equipment Forum!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all electric & battery operated lawn equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other LMF members (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for electric & battery operated lawn equipment owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool info? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

L

logistiker

Hello, I own a RechargeMower G2 and I thought I'd mention that if anyone else has this tractor and has issues with the steering, I posted a fix here for it:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...gemower-g2-battery-electric-riding-mower.html

MowerMike

MowerMike

Hi,

I currently own 3 battery operated push mowers and am expecting a 4th to arrive shortly as follows:

Greenworks 25242 16" 40 V 3.65 Ah Lithium-Ion $329.98 from Amazon
WORX WG782 14" 24 V 5 Ah Lead Acid $219.99 from Amazon
Earthwise 60120 20" 24 V 20 Ah Lead Acid $196.98 from Bens Supercenter via Amazon
WORX WG786 15" 24 V 7 Ah Lead Acid $166.49 from worxgt on eBay

I replaced the stock 6" front wheels on the Greenworks with 7" wheels to increase the maximum cutting height and level the deck, which was tilted downward towards the front with the stock wheels. This also helped reduce the pushing effort, since the mower is front heavy.

I replaced the stock dumb charger on the Earthwise with a Schumacher INC-2405 smart charger, that I bought for under $50 on Amazon. The stock charger will ruin the battery if left connected too long and will never fully charge the battery no matter how long it is connected.

If you have any questions regarding these mowers or modifications, please feel free to post on this forum.

MowerMike

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi,

I currently own 3 battery operated push mowers and am expecting a 4th to arrive shortly as follows:

Greenworks 25242 16" 40 V 3.65 Ah Lithium-Ion $329.98 from Amazon
WORX WG782 14" 24 V 5 Ah Lead Acid $219.99 from Amazon
Earthwise 60120 20" 24 V 20 Ah Lead Acid $196.98 from Bens Supercenter via Amazon
WORX WG786 15" 24 V 7 Ah Lead Acid $166.49 from worxgt on eBay

I replaced the stock 6" front wheels on the Greenworks with 7" wheels to increase the maximum cutting height and level the deck, which was tilted downward towards the front with the stock wheels. This also helped reduce the pushing effort, since the mower is front heavy.

I replaced the stock dumb charger on the Earthwise with a Schumacher INC-2405 smart charger, that I bought for under $50 on Amazon. The stock charger will ruin the battery if left connected too long and will never fully charge the battery no matter how long it is connected.

If you have any questions regarding these mowers or modifications, please feel free to post on this forum.

MowerMike

:welcome: to LMF, MowerMike!.....Nice mowers!!

MowerMike

MowerMike

@LMF - Thanx for the welcome :smile: Nice collection in your sig :thumbsup:

Just got the WORX WG786 yesterday, and it's truly impressive given that it's the cheapest battery powered small mower you can buy. Check it out on eBay in the worxgt store. The Labor Day sale is over, but they've still got 4 left for $184.99, which is a great deal. FWIW, Menards is selling them for $329 !

Note: I've posted in your ECHO PB-250LN thread. Got one myself a month ago and luv it. :biggrin:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

@LMF - Thanx for the welcome :smile: Nice collection in your sig :thumbsup:

Just got the WORX WG786 yesterday, and it's truly impressive given that it's the cheapest battery powered small mower you can buy. Check it out on eBay in the worxgt store. The Labor Day sale is over, but they've still got 4 left for $184.99, which is a great deal. FWIW, Menards is selling them for $329 !

Note: I've posted in your ECHO PB-250LN thread. Got one myself a month ago and luv it. :biggrin:

Thanks (your comment about my collection)! I will check out that mower! :smile:

P

Pugetsoundwa

Sorry no photo's.

We bought our home in 09 and rented a gas mower once a month.

Decided we didn't want to own one as maintenance and fuel and such was a pain.

We went with a Neuton, CE6 19".

With 2 batteries we never worried about enough juice.

After fence and flower beds put on the steep hill sides I can now mow on 1 battery.

The only beef I have is..After 3 mowing seasons 1 battery doesn't recharge to full.

I do admit we might have paid a bit more then other battery mowers, should have researched a bit but are still pretty happy.

I do like that its quite enough the neighbors rarely hear us.

Its funny to see the neighbor at the top of the hill step out and see that we mowed then run to mow his lawn..

i have yet to figure out how much fuel and maintenance we have saved. I do admit we spent 5 bucks to get 1 blade sharpened and will again next Spring. But that's literally been it other then Electric to charge it and we have no way of figuring that out.

MowerMike

MowerMike

We went with a Neuton, CE6 19".

With 2 batteries we never worried about enough juice.

After fence and flower beds put on the steep hill sides I can now mow on 1 battery.

The only beef I have is..After 3 mowing seasons 1 battery doesn't recharge to full.

I do admit we might have paid a bit more then other battery mowers, should have researched a bit but are still pretty happy.

Thanks for posting and welcome. Like you, I very much enjoy using my cordless electric mowers.

The Neuton has an excellent reputation for quality and its price is comparable with other similar mowers like the Black & Decker CM1936. Lead acid batteries rarely last more than 3 years, and often much less, so you've gotten your money's worth out of it. The Neuton is one of the lightest mowers its size, which is a definite plus. On the negative side, its grass bag is very small and its maximum cutting height is only 3".

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Thanks for posting and welcome. Like you, I very much enjoy using my cordless electric mowers.

The Neuton has an excellent reputation for quality and its price is comparable with other similar mowers like the Black & Decker CM1936. Lead acid batteries rarely last more than 3 years, and often much less, so you've gotten your money's worth out of it. The Neuton is one of the lightest mowers its size, which is a definite plus. On the negative side, its grass bag is very small and its maximum cutting height is only 3".

On my Honda HRR the max height is 3" also, and I sometimes wish it would go higher, like my Honda HRX.

A

Augi

:welcome: to LMF, MowerMike!.....Nice mowers!!

I'm considering the B&D SPCM1936, Worx WG789, and now the Greenworks 25272. All are self propelled. I had a Toro the lasted for 20+ yrs. Durability is my concern as well as routine service after the sale. I usually have to bag because I never had a mulching mower (blade?). My lawn guy is probably gone in the next few weeks. He uses a riding, swivel handle kind f mower that stripes.

What has been your experience with the Greenworks? Well made or not? I don't a mower where I'm pushing and bend the arms ( I did that on the Toro when I tried to adjust the height). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. --Augi

MowerMike

MowerMike

I'm considering the B&D SPCM1936, Worx WG789, and now the Greenworks 25272. All are self propelled. I had a Toro the lasted for 20+ yrs. Durability is my concern as well as routine service after the sale. I usually have to bag because I never had a mulching mower (blade?). My lawn guy is probably gone in the next few weeks. He uses a riding, swivel handle kind f mower that stripes.

What has been your experience with the Greenworks? Well made or not? I don't a mower where I'm pushing and bend the arms ( I did that on the Toro when I tried to adjust the height). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. --Augi

Welcome to LMF. Out of those three choices I'd recommend the B&D SPCM1936 because of best customer support and spare parts availability. Greenworks is terrible with customer support and parts are hard to find. Also, the Greenworks is a single speed self-propel, whereas the B&D and WORX are variable speed. WORX is also a good product, but you will find servicing it to be more difficult, since it is rarely sold through dealers. Quality is about the same on all three brands, and they are all made in China.

A

Augi

Welcome to LMF. Out of those three choices I'd recommend the B&D SPCM1936 because of best customer support and spare parts availability. Greenworks is terrible with customer support and parts are hard to find. Also, the Greenworks is a single speed self-propel, whereas the B&D and WORX are variable speed. WORX is also a good product, but you will find servicing it to be more difficult, since it is rarely sold through dealers. Quality is about the same on all three brands, and they are all made in China.

Thanks. I need to make a decision soon. Initially, I check out Consumer Reports and it had the B&D self-propelled over the Worx. Repair service was another consideration. So thanks for those tips.

Another concern, however, was buying "old technology." the B&D uses a lead acid battery verses the 40v lithion battery Greenworks would over not to mention able to interchange with other tools. In addition, I wondered how long the latch to the battery in the B& D would last before it got too loose to close tightly. I looked at that model at Lowes. It's plastic on plastic. And finally, a minor point perhaps, the B&D's handle seems like it would be awkward to hold for long periods of time with its two bails to keep compressed and held to the handle. Thoughts? Thanks for the welcome. I'm much obliged. --Augi

MowerMike

MowerMike

Thanks. I need to make a decision soon. Initially, I check out Consumer Reports and it had the B&D self-propelled over the Worx. Repair service was another consideration. So thanks for those tips.

Another concern, however, was buying "old technology." the B&D uses a lead acid battery verses the 40v lithion battery Greenworks would over not to mention able to interchange with other tools. In addition, I wondered how long the latch to the battery in the B& D would last before it got too loose to close tightly. I looked at that model at Lowes. It's plastic on plastic. And finally, a minor point perhaps, the B&D's handle seems like it would be awkward to hold for long periods of time with its two bails to keep compressed and held to the handle. Thoughts? Thanks for the welcome. I'm much obliged. --Augi

The Greenworks self-propel model 25272 that you listed uses a 36 volt SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, which is the same old technology used in the B&D and WORX. The Greenworks model 25302 uses the 40 volt Li-Ion battery, and that's model I own. You can only buy it at Lowe's, and it is not self-propel, which is what you said you wanted. However, it is much lighter that the mowers with the SLA batteries, so it is quite easy to push. Again, if you buy a Greenworks and need to get a replacement part like a new blade, you will have a tough time finding one. I'm happy with my Greenworks model 25302, but am also aware of the problems with their customer service, which seems to be important to you.

A

Augi

The Greenworks self-propel model 25272 that you listed uses a 36 volt SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, which is the same old technology used in the B&D and WORX. The Greenworks model 25302 uses the 40 volt Li-Ion battery, and that's model I own. You can only buy it at Lowe's, and it is not self-propel, which is what you said you wanted. However, it is much lighter that the mowers with the SLA batteries, so it is quite easy to push. Again, if you buy a Greenworks and need to get a replacement part like a new blade, you will have a tough time finding one. I'm happy with my Greenworks model 25302, but am also aware of the problems with their customer service, which seems to be important to you.

Again, good info to know. My local Lowes had your model of Greenworks on display. It was extremely light. Even with the bagger full, I don't think it would be a problem to mow my1/4 lawn (sans hills). Deep down inside I'm attracted to Greenworks: it's sexy, it's light. 20" vs 19" cut, new technology with the battery, battery is interchangeable with other lawn tools, full battery power vs. faded battery power; and quicker charging battery than lead acid battery.

I mentioned to the Lowes rep that Consumer Reports didn't have it listed. HIs response was that CR is a year behind in its reviews so your mower wouldn't be in there. The only negatives that I could see is that the battery compartments have lids that appear that they would crack as time moves on, but more importantly, the spring hinges looked a little too flimsy for constant use. The other is that what good would the mower be if (for whatever reason) one of the two blades broke down? Hmmm. Help me think it this one out. No, I'm not being pessimistic, just trying to make the best judgement possible.

Yes, I'm concerned about service after the sale. The service I hope would be just having someone sharpen and balance the blades. You sound like you know your way around a mower and probably can do your own repair work (engines too?). Thanks. --Augi

MowerMike

MowerMike

The only negatives that I could see is that the battery compartments have lids that appear that they would crack as time moves on, but more importantly, the spring hinges looked a little too flimsy for constant use. The other is that what good would the mower be if (for whatever reason) one of the two blades broke down? Hmmm. Help me think it this one out. No, I'm not being pessimistic, just trying to make the best judgement possible.

Yes, I'm concerned about service after the sale. The service I hope would be just having someone sharpen and balance the blades. You sound like you know your way around a mower and probably can do your own repair work (engines too?). Thanks. --Augi

Don't worry about the battery covers. They are there just to keep dust out of the battery compartments and they snap closed at the back, so the springs are not needed anyway. In fact, I plan on removing the springs, because they get in the way when installing or removing the batteries. Better to worry that one of the blades is damaged from hitting a rock or stump, as replacements are not available and may never be.

As to blade sharpening, I do that myself using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpening attachment that allows me to sharpen the blades w/o removing them from the mower. I remove such a miniscule amount of material during sharpening that balancing is unnecessary. Yes, I maintain my gas engines and even rebuild them when needed. The good thing about electric mowers is that they do not require engine maintenance.

D

dave-m

Hi all, new guy here. I found this site while searching for a new cordless mower. I have a small yard, approximately 1500 sqft that I presently cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower. It's an easy job but I don't like the job that a reel mower does. It can't get close enough around the planters and there's always lots of stragglers it seems. I'm after that nice even carpet of lush green lawn.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Hi all, new guy here. I found this site while searching for a new cordless mower. I have a small yard, approximately 1500 sqft that I presently cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower. It's an easy job but I don't like the job that a reel mower does. It can't get close enough around the planters and there's always lots of stragglers it seems. I'm after that nice even carpet of lush green lawn.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend the Greenworks 20" Twin Blade mower that uses Li-Ion batteries and does an excellent job of edging, due to the deck extending beyond the wheels. It will make quick work of your small 1500 ft^2 lawn. You should be able to buy one through Canadian Tire. For more details, check out this thread:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

D

dave-m

Welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend the Greenworks 20" Twin Blade mower that uses Li-Ion batteries and does an excellent job of edging, due to the deck extending beyond the wheels. It will make quick work of your small 1500 ft^2 lawn. You should be able to buy one through Canadian Tire. For more details, check out this thread:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

Thanks Mike, I had a good look through these forums before I posted and figured it would only be a few minutes before you'd recommend this one. Greenworks should pay you commission!

I see Canadian Tire offers a 2 year exchange warranty on the batteries and 4 years on the mower. That's pretty good. I think I'll check one out today.

Are there any "runner's up" in this category?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Are there any "runner's up" in this category?

At the present time when it comes to Li-Ion battery powered mowers the choices are pretty slim. I suppose given the small size of your lawn you could get by with the 15" Recharge Mower or Stihl models, but they are extremely pricey.

D

dnz

Hi all

Dominic here. I never have much luck with my lawn equipment (it always seems to die on me) and true to form my new second-hand electric lawnmower has just thrown its belt and I'm looking for help on how to access it. (I'll post in the repair forum.)

Cheers

J

juliej

Hello to all electric mower owners. I own a Recharge Mower G1, the first generation of Recharge Mower ride on electric mower. I have and mixed experiences with this mower. Some quite satisfactory and others quite frustrating. The main problem is that there is not enough information and support on maintenance and repair, a big problem for me since I have no working knowledge of mower mechanics and there is no local service provider for this mower. Having been searching the internet for information and was hoping to find other Recharge G1 owners here so that I can keep my mower running instead of relegating it to the junk yard just due to lake of knowledge and information.

W

WisJim

Hello,
I just joined this forum and after looking around a bit I thought I would mention my interests. I have an Elec-trak E15 with front mower and an Alltrax controller that I installed to replace the erratic original control circuitry. I have a small Toro electric mower that I bought at a garage sale over 20 years ago for $5. It uses a small 12 volt battery that usually lasts up to 3 mowing seasons. It is a 16" mower but the model number isn't readable. I have been unable to find a proper fitting blade for it. Two summers ago we found a Neuton CE5 at a garage sale for $40 so have been using that more lately. The battery is on the 3rd season of use for us and working okay, but the string trimmer attachment is now running all the time that main power switch is on, not just when the attachment is switched on. Anyone have a wiring diagram of the mower circuits for the Neuton? Or should I be posting these questions in the electric equipment forum? I am interested in getting an electric chain saw to use around the place so will be watching reports on them closely.

Jim, in Western Wisconsin

G

gregsfc

Have given up on e-power for my lawn for now, but want to keep up with the technology, and so I'm going to stay read up on it here and some technology outlets and hope that real options (not reel options) will arrive soon. I have just ordered, reluctantly, a 30" Toro TimeMaster, walk-behind with an 8 3/4 peak torque Briggs, gas mower (yuck!). If I'm going to have to push with gas and leg power, I might as well do it quickly, and so I've broken down and ordered one.

I've been waiting and waiting for e-options that work for people with significant yards. Been waiting about six years. Thought they were just around the corner about five years ago. I've been stubborn about it. When I needed a new mower, I went out and bought the cheapest high wheel I could find to mow my sort-of-rough, country, 1/2-acre lot. I ended up with a Weedeater brand 22" for around $160. It's a rough-running, smoky, machine, but it gets it done, and I figured it would last until the Li-Ion electrics arrived with 21-22 inch cuts with enough torque to get through my lawn. I knew when they arrived there would be sacrifices. Maybe have to buy a second battery or wait for a recharge to get the lawn done. I knew it would cost more than an equally-featured, gas mower; but what I didn't expect was that they wouldn't even be built by now.

I've been unpleasantly surprised at the lack of progress in this industry over the last six to eight years for people with significant lawns. And I've been frustrated lately once I learned that the industry does not report performance in the same way as the gas-mower industry for comparison. Recently I've learned that the products are not as close as I thought they were. The OEMs use marketing tricks and over report power or omit power ratings all together, reporting only volts, etc., instead of watts or amps. Deck size and voltage seem almost useless information for what consumers really need to know. One almost has to buy one and try one, or rely on other reports and take a tape measure with him or her when shopping.

I had been constantly looking at products and trying to figure out if one would work for me and my lawn. I went to an out-of-town Lowe's one day to check out a Kobalt made byGreenworks 20" deck/ 40 volt. Thought back then that it was a 20" cut, but now know that the e-machines are not using the same standards. But once there, right next to the 20", I saw a 21" deck corded mower and pulled the trigger. It was pretty cheap, or at least I thought it was as I didn't realize the cost of extension cords at the time, and I still had my smoky machine as a back up. This corded mower is actually a pretty tough character. It cuts very well; it is pretty well made, easy to push and adjust height; mulches and bags well; and it's great for a small lawn, but it is not a 21" mower and it does not draw 13 amps or produce the corresponding wattage that one would expect from 13 amps. It doesn't work well at all as a discharge. It's actually more powerful as a mulcher and that's sort of odd. Due to the narrow cutting path though, after trying a Kobalt, Corded, 13-amp, electric mower for a year and dealing with a 19.25" cut on a 1/2-acre lot with a mower rated at 13 amps that's probably more like 8 to 9 amps; and looking out there at battery powered options, with no real power ratings to gauge, and more of this "deck size" tricky stuff, instead of cutting width, I feel like there is really nothing out there close to a gas mower at any price, and that's a shame. I guess what's going on is that the OEMs are content in marketing to people with smaller lawns, and so it's really going nowhere in that regard. Yes, the products are getting better, but I don't see them getting bigger, and so for now, I've decided to make a $900 investment in to a gas choice, and I hate anything with spark plugs. I know that in concept, an electric motor could kick a ICE-motors butt with respect to torque and durability, particularly a spark-ignition motor, but it just doesn't seem to be happening. I assume costs is the biggest hindrance to market. It's hard to compete against these dirt-cheap gas, small engines and maybe that's what it is.

Unlike electric cars, which, in my opinion has some work to do only as it relates to costs but can work as a tool for transportation nearly as well as gas-powered counterparts, lawn mowers can't. With cars, there are sacrifices with respect to going electric, e.g. range and time to refuel, but if one can afford it, and one is sort of committed to it; it can work. I personally can't afford one, but at least I can look at into the market and see that they exist. I can't say the same for lawn mowers. There is even a commercial electric walk behind that is high dollar, and even that machine is 20" cut. If the automotive industry were producing electrics only for strictly urban-street travel under 45 mph, then that would be more like what's going on with lawn machines.

1 Lucky Texan

the energy density of batteries is MUCH less than petroleum fuels - maybe 18-15 times less. And even the battery technologies in the research labs now are not much better.

at 1/2 acre I'd say you're wise to avoid battery tech. I suppose you COULD just get accustomed to more walking and/or mowing over a 2-day period, but, even for my small-ish yard, the battery unit is just an 'adequate' replacement. If I had fewer obstacles, I'd run corded electric.

others might argue - why grow your entire surface as a lawn? You could 'xeriscape' a large section and have less to mow.

1109dp_01+renewable_diesel_vs_electric_cars+energy_density_chart.jpg

L

logistiker

the energy density of batteries is MUCH less than petroleum fuels - maybe 18-15 times less. And even the battery technologies in the research labs now are not much better.

at 1/2 acre I'd say you're wise to avoid battery tech. I suppose you COULD just get accustomed to more walking and/or mowing over a 2-day period, but, even for my small-ish yard, the battery unit is just an 'adequate' replacement. If I had fewer obstacles, I'd run corded electric.

others might argue - why grow your entire surface as a lawn? You could 'xeriscape' a large section and have less to mow.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this comment. Your profile says you have an electric mower but you're touting the energy density of petroleum as the reason why you shouldn't use battery electric mowers? I routinely mow a 1.5 acre yard with my (custom modified) Rechargemower G2. It has 3 12v 85ah SLA batteries and the run time varies based on how long/thick the grass is. Usually I get about 2 hours run time out of it. After 2 hours of mowing, I'm not finished mowing but I'd rather go do something else that doesn't require sitting while it charges like weed whacking with my battery electric Kobalt 80v string trimmer. I usually split my yard into 3 parts and mow and charge for each part over 2-3 days. It's not a big deal that it takes a couple days to do it. I wouldn't finish mowing the whole thing in a day even if I had a riding gas mower (due to several obstacles that limits the mower deck width I can use) so this is not a problem. If I want to extend the runtime (which I will do in the future), I will replace the 85ah batteries with 100ah ones and have an even longer (and more than adequate runtime.

1 Lucky Texan

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this comment. Your profile says you have an electric mower but you're touting the energy density of petroleum as the reason why you shouldn't use battery electric mowers? I routinely mow a 1.5 acre yard with my (custom modified) Rechargemower G2. It has 3 12v 85ah SLA batteries and the run time varies based on how long/thick the grass is. Usually I get about 2 hours run time out of it. After 2 hours of mowing, I'm not finished mowing but I'd rather go do something else that doesn't require sitting while it charges like weed whacking with my battery electric Kobalt 80v string trimmer. I usually split my yard into 3 parts and mow and charge for each part over 2-3 days. It's not a big deal that it takes a couple days to do it. I wouldn't finish mowing the whole thing in a day even if I had a riding gas mower (due to several obstacles that limits the mower deck width I can use) so this is not a problem. If I want to extend the runtime (which I will do in the future), I will replace the 85ah batteries with 100ah ones and have an even longer (and more than adequate runtime.

Just pointing out that cordless electric mowers are not quite a good replacement for all users. I also doubt they will make any huge leap forward soon. I also think he has a fair complaint when it comes to measurement of cutting path width.

I really like mine - but would I like it for mowing 1/2 acre instead of 1/6th acre? i doubt it. If someone wants to try it - great. It's just getting close to the edge of utility at 1/2+ acre I'd think. Not everyone wants to mow in 3 sections or wait for batteries to recharge, or shell-out $$$ for more batteries or modify their equipment, etc, either. I also doubt he wants to spend $3000 for a mower either. electric OR gas.

not saying he COULDN'T make your 30" $3000 riding mower ,or my 19" $400 push mower work - but it seems something in between would serve him best. And almost everything in between is gas. there's a dozen or so 22" gassers for about what I paid for my mower, even a coupla 24" mowers for half what your mower cost.

F

Filek

New to the forum. I own an electric Black and Decker CM1200 that came with a lead acid 24 volt 18Ah battery. I replaced it with a 24 volt 30Ah lithium ion battery that I built. A description of the build is on the Black and Decker forum for Cmm1200.

In response to the two previous posts; I can mow 1/2 acre easily on 1 charge. Also, even though all types of gasoline have a much higher energy density than batteries, don't forget that most electric devices use 95%+ of the energy the battery supplies while internal combustion engines use something like 15% of the energy of the gas they burn! The rest goes to heat.l

mikehouse

mikehouse

Hello all.Mike from Greensboro,N.C. here.Using a damn good Craftsman 22" self-propelled lawnmower and a Stihl FS 70 weed eater (beastly).For the past 8-9 years i've been using an electric B&D 20" hedge trimmer which is showing it's age.Looking to switch to a cordless.Would like to stay B&D,but not necessarily.Just unsure of reliability and power of cordless outdoor tools.Any help would be appreciated.Working with 1/2 acre of grass and bushes.

L

logistiker

I have an 80 volt kobalt chainsaw and string trimmer. They are well built and I haven't had any problems with them. I'd recommend the 80 volt hedge trimmer that runs on the same battery as the chainsaw and string trimmer: https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Vo...6cUWVRNc2EG1L7uS0KprEr-nJqoUPhUBoC0ZsQAvD_BwE

mikehouse

mikehouse

80 volt huh? Thanks,worth looking into.Kobalt I believe is carried by Lowe's.Something to check out,thanks sgain.

dougmacm

dougmacm

I was searching the web for Greenworks 40V 21" MO40L02 Self Propelled Mower and this forum popped up.

I had bought the Greenworks 20312 40V G-MAX Brushless 16" Chainsaw w/ 4Ah battery & charger about a month ago, and was blown away by it's performance. So much so, I've since bought:

26272 20" Brushless Snow Thrower w/ 4Ah bat & charger
2100202 14" Swath Brushless Attachment Capable String Trimmer (tool only)
MO40L01 21" Brushless Lawn Mower (tool only, non SP)
24322 Brushless Blower / Vac w/ 4Ah bat & charger
2901319 2.5 Compact Ah Battery

I've obviously not had a chance to use the Snow Thrower yet, but everything else I'm very happy with.

The Chain Saw just blows away my previous 18V Cordless Ryobi 10" Bar P542. TheP542 has a fixed chain speed of about 85 IPS, where the Greenworks has a variable speed between 130-418 IPS (no load), which appears to be very similar to my 17 year old Gas Homelite 16" Bar 23Av performance. The Homelite started to give me trouble last Summer which prompted me to research Brushless Cordless models.

The String Trimmer is an absolute beast and works great, but for an hour's worth of trimming that is typical on my lawn I still prefer my much lighter Ryobi 18V 13" Brushless P2009 that is a 2/3rds of the weight (8.8 lbs. w/ 4Ah battery vs. 13.18 lbs. w/ 2.5Ah battery). The Greenworks trimmer is much more heavy duty, has a similar feed-through trimmer head that is far superior to the Ryobi version plus it can accept attachments and comes with a shoulder strap so I'm not disappointed in the purchase.

Absolutely love the Lawn Mower for the very small yard at my wife's office (takes less than 15 minutes) that I purchased it for. Also tested it out at home on our 15,000 square ft yard that typically takes an hour to cut and I was still impressed that I only went through 1.5 of the 4Ah batteries to cut the whole thing. It gives a nice cut, but I really prefer Self Propelled for this yard, so it will not be replacing either of my S-P Lawn-Boys (10525 & 10323).

The Blower Vac has much more power than my Ryobi P2180 18V Jet Fan Blower, but like the Trimmer at 43.7% or 26.9% additional weight (8.88 LBS w/ 4Ah or 7.84 LBS w/ 2.5 Ah vs. 6.18 LBS w/ 4Ah Ryobi).

A full charge on the 2.5 Ah battery got all the grass cut and all string trimming done at my wife's office (1/2 to 3/4 hr of work) then did a 1/3 to 1/2 my blowing at home (15-20 minutes or so on max LOW speed) before it ran out of juice ... not too bad for the "small" battery !! Finished up my blowing with a 4Ah battery, this time on max HIGH speed and had 1/2 of the battery left.

Doug

T

TimRice

Recently bought an eGo 7.5Amp hour self-propelled model.
My yard is small enough that I can mow it using under half the battery, and I'll eventually buy the eGo string trimmer to finish around trees, drive/sidewalk, and other items in the yard.

The mower is light enough and the yard flat enough that I usually just push it, without using the self propel motors. I bought the self-propelled model because I wanted the larger battery capacity that came with it.

T

TheCatDaddy

Hello!

Not currently named: Kobalt 24-volt Self Propelled Electric Lawnmower

Attachments