WeedEater Question

Darrel

Threads
I have a Weedeater Brand straight shaft string trimmer i have a question about ? It is several years old but starts up every time with a few pulls. My question is when I start it i go threw the regular priming the bulb and moving the carb lever to full choke, after a couple pulls i go to half choke and it starts. However after I run it for a couple minutes I move the lever to run and it always starts to dog down the motor and you cannot throttle it up for anything and it will die. Okay, if I leave it on half choke instead of moving it to run it will run all day no problem , so most of the time I just leave it on half choke. However I do not get it to rev up very much when I am running on half choke. I have cleaned the filter and sprayed the carb with cleaner but it still does the same thing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have had a lot of the weedeater brand trimmers in my shop over the years with that problem. The carb is set too lean and needs to be richened up a little bit. The problem is the tool to do it with is only available to authorized poulan/weedeater service centers. I have heard that there were some of the tools sold on ebay, but the EPA started watching those auctions and fined the buyer and the seller both up to $38,000 for illegal emissions tampering.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a lot of the weedeater brand trimmers in my shop over the years with that problem. The carb is set too lean and needs to be richened up a little bit. The problem is the tool to do it with is only available to authorized poulan/weedeater service centers. I have heard that there were some of the tools sold on ebay, but the EPA started watching those auctions and fined the buyer and the seller both up to $38,000 for illegal emissions tampering.

Sorry but I am a bit skeptical that the EPA would do such a thing...is that one of those "Urban Legends"?

I have made a number of strange looking tools in my lifetime by modification of jeweler's screwdrivers, dental picks, etc. and I think anyone with some capability could do the same thing.

msaeger

Threads
I don't have a hard time believing the government would do something that stupid.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
from my annual engine update classes which also covers the new epa emission requirements governing the manufacture,distribution, and sale of newer engines which includes the required labeling to meet emission requirements. the number of epa agents that investigated violations in 2007 was 27, as of 2009 that number has been increased to 400 with inspections of manufacturers and servicing dealers to become more common. dealers have had to sign engine replacement requirement certificate just to keep there dealership. The current fine for having an engine in a small engine repair shop without the proper emission labeling is $5000 per engine. new requirement this year is I can't replace a engine on a piece of equipment with an engine that is older. in other words I may not be able to replace a engine on a rider with an older engine that is sitting in my inventory because the engine may not meet the emission requirements under the current emission laws.

jteuban

Threads
If you chew off the plastic covers and slice a small half way in about 1 cm in with an angle grinder with a zip cut wheel you can adjust like normal unless it's that type that you cannot adjust Those suck