Export thread

Wash ports in Hustlers--anyone done it? Likes, dislikes in other brands? Cleaners?

3dmodeler

Hey gang,

New user here--I've left an intro. :smile:

Just seeing if anyone has added wash ports to their Hustler deck.

Curious to see if anyone likes them, interested in hearing about their performance on any brand you've experienced them on.

Not terribly interested in hearing about third hand warnings about corrosion or premature bearing failures, but if you've had first hand experience, by all means lets hear it. :smile:

Also, if anyone can recommend a good cleaner that will soften the "concrete" that forms under a deck, I'd love to hear about that too.

I've got pasture grass that also has a pretty good crop of weeds and they really get worked up into a paste for all the clippings and sand to stick on the deck.

Thanks for any responses.

--3D

K

Kremeneon

No experience but I am interested in this subject also. or perhaps construction of a ground-based contraption to drive over.

RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

I had a port on my CC LT1042 and used it quite a bit the first few years. Got lazy over the years and rarely used it. I just did regular "scrapings" since I mulched a lot. It did clean off grass that wasn't plastered on and after 9 years never had a problem with spindles, etc.. With the new Hustler I don't seem to get much if any build up aside from a green coat which I don't mind. Not sure I'll ever mulch again since the mower throws the grass so well.

Carscw

Carscw

I think the wash out ports are ok for a homeowner who will hook the hose up after every cutting.

I have mowers with them and after a day of cutting 20 yards they don't do anything.

If you let a layer of grass get hard and stuck to the deck then water can not get to it to rust it and no more grass will stick under there even when mulching wet grass

3dmodeler

If you let a layer of grass get hard and stuck to the deck then water can not get to it to rust it and no more grass will stick under there even when mulching wet grass

I wish that was the case with my situation. :smile: The pasture grass here is full of sticky liquid that bonds with the clippings and the sand in the yard, since I live in sugar sand, and it bonds to the underside of the deck as a mixture that hardens to brick status in one mowing. Seems like I'll need some good tips, a good cleaner, or it's time to kill the acreage and get rid of the pasture grass.

--3D

K

Kremeneon

Clover turns into pudding on the underside of the deck.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Clover turns into pudding on the underside of the deck.

I purchased the RSD 60 in Februrary, 2014. I added a clean port to the deck as part of the purchase deal. To be honest, I have yet to use it.

I always wash he deck out with a hose though.

It does look good though.

K

Kremeneon

I purchased the RSD 60 in Februrary, 2014. I added a clean port to the deck as part of the purchase deal. To be honest, I have yet to use it.

I always wash he deck out with a hose though.

It does look good though.

Any chance you could post a pic of the modification? I assume the dealer installed it ? I am curious what they did.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Any chance you could post a pic of the modification? I assume the dealer installed it ? I am curious what they did.

I'm down with pneumonia at the moment, however, as soon as I can get up and out, I'll run (walk) to the Garage Mahal and shoot a photo or two for you.

Actually, it is a very simple install. Main thing you want to do is place the port where it is inboard enough to sit over the top of the lifting portion of the blade and direct the double head of the port toward the blade and the outer curve of the deck. There are two holes required to be successful. I didn't drill them, however, I am a master machinist and I can say that anyone can do it regardless of your expertise in drill bits and drill motors.

Just make sure the mower deck is off the ground enough to be able to get under the deck enough to see clearly to get your measurement for layout. Then move back to the top of the deck to place the larger of the two holes for the body of the port to protrude thru the deck. The second hole is the smaller of the two, most likely a quarter inch hole do hold the port direction in place. The direction of the port, once again, is very important, otherwise you'll only be shooting water under the deck and not breaking the compacted grass loose from the deck assembly.

I will get the photos up soon.

Good luck,

Max

E

edd

wash ports are a gimmick..........if you are going to really clean a deck you will have to put the hose nozzle up under it

B

bertsmobile1

A couple of flat topped car ramps ( if you can still get them in the US ) and a pressure washer with a long tube will work a lot better and then you have two very useful tools.
ramps to get under your mower and a pressure washer.
Top end wshers have extensions and you will probably need 2 to get far enough back to get the right angles a miss out on a shower.
I use ramps a lot you just have to remember to lift the castors and turn them 180 before you try & reverse back down
If you lay a strip of carpet upside down under the rams you should be able to swing them out of the way easily. Even easier if it is on a hard stand area.

As for wash decks & spindle bearings, I have done about 4 time cutters with wash decks that were less then 2 years old because the owners ( home ) washed them out over the lawn then left the mower there

Ric

Ric

wash ports are a gimmick..........if you are going to really clean a deck you will have to put the hose nozzle up under it

I agree most washout ports that I have used only do about half the job, you still end up with a hose nozzle under the mower. Mostly I just use a plastic scraper and clean the deck when it needs to be cleaned.

mhavanti

mhavanti

DSC04378.JPGDSC04379.JPGDSC04380.JPGAs promised, wash port in Raptor SD60.

NavySWOJoe

NavySWOJoe

Do you happen to know the model or part number of this product? I’m looking for a good one online, but wasn’t sure which brands if any were best. Thanks!

mhavanti

mhavanti

Check with your dealer, possibly eBay, Amazon, Ace Hardware, etc. You can also join the Hustler Mower Owners Official Group in Facebook for most all your information needs by factory reps, dealer owners, techs, landscapers, etc. at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners

Cedric Stone

Cedric Stone

I'm down with pneumonia at the moment, however, as soon as I can get up and out, I'll run (walk) to the Garage Mahal and shoot a photo or two for you.

Actually, it is a very simple install. Main thing you want to do is place the port where it is inboard enough to sit over the top of the lifting portion of the blade and direct the double head of the port toward the blade and the outer curve of the deck. There are two holes required to be successful. I didn't drill them, however, I am a master machinist and I can say that anyone can do it regardless of your expertise in drill bits and drill motors.

Just make sure the mower deck is off the ground enough to be able to get under the deck enough to see clearly to get your measurement for layout. Then move back to the top of the deck to place the larger of the two holes for the body of the port to protrude thru the deck. The second hole is the smaller of the two, most likely a quarter inch hole do hold the port direction in place. The direction of the port, once again, is very important, otherwise you'll only be shooting water under the deck and not breaking the compacted grass loose from the deck assembly.

I will get the photos up soon.

Good luck,

Max
I run a Hustler X-1, with a 54" cutter-bar deck, center discharge [and JD Lawn sweep to pick clippings and mess]. All works ok for 2-3acre lawn plus neighbors.Currently flush out and scrape stuck-on grass and stuff. Not enough room under deck when fully lifted by mower linkage about 50 mm & hose flush pretty ineffective.
So mower is strung up with a sky-hook [2 ton chain-block] and tri-pod, about 2m to access under c/bar deck with hose or w/blaster & scrapper.Do that 1-2 times/yr. Have cleaned the inner deck down to bare metal and painted with chassis-black, tar based paint....but the grass etc still sticks/clumps/compacts.
I figure a 'flushing-port', perhaps 2-3, in the right place on the deck, would reduce the risk to the operator being crushed with 1/4 of a tonne of way-would Hustler! Its a good mower....made of real USA steel, the Kawasaki motors ok too, but I'd hate the deck to fizz-out.b/f it kills me. My friendly Hustler agent knows nothing of 'flushing-ports'? So Ive got to find a picture of a 'nipple' thing to copy and mount wherever. I'll keep searching the forum. Any suggestions.
Regards,
Ced, Tauranga, New Zealand

mhavanti

mhavanti

DSC04378 Small.jpg