Valve seal removal Briggs & Stratton push mower engine 128t02-1270-b1

buckbrow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Valve seal removal Briggs & Stratton push mower engine 128t02-1270-b1
You can't pry it out with a screwdriver as don't can get in there easily.

Now that I see where the seat is what you need is a blind hole bearing puller to access the back of the seal so you can pull it out.

Personally looking at image of that particular I don't think it is pressed over the valve guide, just pressed into the recess. Late version on left and early version on the right. I believe you have the later version.
View attachment 50939
bs-697338-jpg.50939

Pictured above is the type I have... The one that was on the right. I took a pliers and pulled on the rubber and ripped it which is why the part is ruined. Totally my fault. Now I need this out.

I did order the new part and it looks identical to this.

buckbrow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure I can use a punch from the crank case. It appears from what I can tell, the punch would have no where to touch the valve seal this way. The walls were the valve seal fits appear to have a seat where the seal sits on, and the punch would not make contact. I hope my crudely conceived side view picture can help visualize this. Open to any suggestions as I am stumped.

Attachments

• valves.png
    valves.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 2

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What Rivets is suggesting is probably a thin pin punch that might work. As suggested what might to use a flat tip screw through the intake port. Or I as suggest a blind hole puller. So far the smaller diameter puller I have found is a 8mm (5/16) version. Now it is probably possible to modify the 8mm one to enter the 6mm (1/4) opening; although, I would think the rubber part is larger than the 1/4 valve stem. I have use similar bind hole pullers for removing needle bearings and bushings in blind holes.

buckbrow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to get it out using a tap. I did try using a smaller tap an M7 at first and couldn't tell where it was at due to the rubber surround in the middle. Apparently these bushings are very thin and I managed to thread the wall of the slot where the valve goes. I hope I didn't just ruin this engine. I'm gonna put it back together anyway.