Valve Cover

Reinman

Threads
Too off the valve cover to replace the gasket on an L Head Briggs and Stratton 126T02-0301-B1. Only symptom I had was oil leaking from the cover (bad gasket) - engine ran fine. I noticed a lot of carbon build up in the valve case on the exhaust side. Was just going to clean up and move on, but was wondering if that is a sign of a problem to come or just normal wear and tear?. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF you are referring the pvc (breather) cover over the springs then yes it is a sign that you have a worn out exhaust valve guide and probably a heavy worn valve stem too. I kinda it is a clogged muffler but not out of range possibles either.

Reinman

Threads
IF you are referring the pvc (breather) cover over the springs then yes it is a sign that you have a worn out exhaust valve guide and probably a heavy worn valve stem too. I kinda it is a clogged muffler but not out of range possibles either.
Thanks. So not normal. Yes, I think the next step is to take the head off and check the seats and clearance. Yes - not the breather, cover over the springs. Appreciate the quick response.

Reinman

Threads
Re read this. You are right - it’s the breather. I’m a little new to all this. Thx