Valve cover gasket on FR730v

chiefcook

Threads
Can I use RTV on the valve covers rather than gaskets? Will it leave enough clearance?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Have seen the with or without gasket, and have use RTV but prefer gaskets myself if handy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using is rather like buying a lottery ticket
Always done with the hope you will never have to do it again .
The downside is because it is a PIA job to clean the silicon off , people are reluctant to remove the rocker cover as often as they should

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The downside is because it is a PIA job to clean the silicon off
Agreed.

And the silly-cone glues the cover TO the block making it a bear to remove. You will bend up the valve cover nicely going after some lazy fool that used silly-cone. I've seen several Honda pushers that were glued on (silicone). They would not budge at all. Couldn't get a putty knife behind the cover. Mower ran so I informed the owner.

Just use the OEM gaskets with some hi-tack spray on them. Little Indian Head or hi tack spray.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agreed.

And the silly-cone glues the cover TO the block making it a bear to remove. You will bend up the valve cover nicely going after some lazy fool that used silly-cone. I've seen several Honda pushers that were glued on (silicone). They would not budge at all. Couldn't get a putty knife behind the cover. Mower ran so I informed the owner.

Just use the OEM gaskets with some hi-tack spray on them. Little Indian Head or hi tack spray.
Yep, On the Honda GCV or GC engines with the Hondabond plan on replacing the valve cover because it will get destroyed in the removal process.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ever heard of shearing the covers off when RTV is involved? I do it here and very seldom ever need a replacement rocker cover.

And the RTV is must be applied correctly or it will fail in short order. Personally on FR I would just use the gasket as the mating areas are rarely sparse.

chiefcook

Threads
Thanks for all the posts. Think I will just use the gaskets.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use Indian head gasket shellac on equipment of people I don't like. Put it on both sides of a paper gasket and enjoy. Right up there with Permatex #2.