Value of my Snapper??

GlennyJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in the restoration phases of the beauty that was given to me by a friend. It was given to him by his father. This is the only Snapper I have ever seen with this type of deck. It's a triple blade design, and believe it or not, it cuts more evenly than most single blade designs I have used over the years. I was told by a man who had retired from the Snapper company or 40 years that his was worth a pretty penny. He said it was extremely rare, and not many were made. I joined this forum to find out if anyone else could clue me on on its value. It still sports the original engine, which runs great and does no smoke at all. When I first got it, the engine had not run in a number of years. After a good carb rebuild, only then did I notice the engine would not turn at all. The rings had set up in the bore. I sprayed PB Blaster in the plug hole and let her sit for a couple of days. After removing the hood, I gently pried the flywheel until it broke loose and turned. The rings seated within only a few second of smoking. I got really lucky. Hopefully someone can offer me some information on this mower.

Thanks.

Attachments

• My Snapper 002.jpg
    My Snapper 002.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Snapper 42 Sweet 001.jpg
    Snapper 42 Sweet 001.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 22

Mow Joe

Threads
Those 42" mowers came out in the late 70s and disappeared by the mid 80s. We sold a few of them at our dealership. Luckily, we didn't sell many. They turned out to be a horrible piece of junk. I'm sure that after dealers sold a few of them they stopped ordering them, which most likely led to it's demise.

It doesn't look like it has the original engine to me. The original engine would have been white.

It's value would be what it would be worth parted out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sold one last year for $400. I put a few pics of it on here when I first got it.

I cut about 100 yards with it. It cut very good even in tall grass. Did not like spending $70 for the double V deck belt Sold it to a couple in their 69s and they still love it

They are very easy to sell because they did not make so many of them.

Looked at one last month but it was a fake someone put a 42 inch deck on a 30 inch frame

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mine was a sr 1642

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

chobbs1957

Threads
Those 42" mowers came out in the late 70s and disappeared by the mid 80s. We sold a few of them at our dealership. Luckily, we didn't sell many. They turned out to be a horrible piece of junk. I'm sure that after dealers sold a few of them they stopped ordering them, which most likely led to it's demise.

It doesn't look like it has the original engine to me. The original engine would have been white.

It's value would be what it would be worth parted out.

My mother had one of those for years on her 2.5 acre yard, and it was pretty aggravating. It cut and performed satisfactorily, but had a tendency to build up lots and lots of grass clippings on the deck around the pulleys and mandrels, just about impossible to clean without taking all the covers off. We tried keeping some air there in portable air tank, but that didn't help much.

Mow Joe

Threads
That was one of the problems. The clippings would build up and get packed in there tight enough that the belts would rub it and catch fire. The deck bearings didn't hold up was the other issue. When they worked they did a good job. Just keeping them working was the trick.