using a chainsaw?

Gabi

Threads
How had is it to learn to use a chainsaw, is it something I should be looking into a class on or can I just pick it up and start using it. I have some firewood that needs cutting and really have no one to do it for me since my dad drives long haul and is gone more than he is home.

rekees

Threads
A class isn't necessary but you absolutely need to read the owner's manual thoroughly and pay particular attention to its safety advice. Wear ear, hand, eye, foot protection. You might want to invest in a helmet that has a face mask and ear covers. Some folks wear chaps to protect their legs. Be careful, chainsaws can cause serious injuries in a fraction of a second.

grnspot110

Threads
A class isn't necessary but you absolutely need to read the owner's manual thoroughly and pay particular attention to its safety advice. Wear ear, hand, eye, foot protection. You might want to invest in a helmet that has a face mask and ear covers. Some folks wear chaps to protect their legs. Be careful, chainsaws can cause serious injuries in a fraction of a second.

I would agree, but put the helmet in the "necessity" category! ~~ grnspot110

173abn

Threads
Gabi ,be real careful if you've never used one before.Use a small one if possible.I'm sure you can get a CD showing the fundamentals.As stated ,a chainsaw can hurt you in a heartbeat and usually that hurt is pretty bad. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to youtube and search chain saw safety ... lots of clips, some very good...
OOPs ..:frown: sorry russ dial up and youtube don't mix... I remember years of not getting video clips, :smile:KennyV

Zeroturn

Threads
I learned by watching my dad. Do you know anyone who uses a chainsaw? Watch them and ask them for tips. Be sure you wear the proper safety equipment when using one.

Gabi

Threads
I will have to check out that video. I will have to ask dad next time he is home if he can come over ans show me how to use it, hopefully he is home more than 36 hrs next time, its hard for him to do anything when he is home so little.