Update on HRX purchase

stygz

Threads
This past spring I replaced my Lawnboy Platinum with a HRX217VKA. After three months of use I thought I would post a couple updates. To start my main problem with the LB was lack of power from the B&S 6.75 tq rated engine. The Honda has not let me down! Lots of power. Anyone with Bermuda grass can tell you it is a challenge to cut. The cut quality is as good as the LB....and that says a lot as I had no issues with the cut. The difference is the Honda does it without breaking a sweat....not so much for the LB though. The deck of the Honda does far better of not collecting clipping and needing to be cleaned. The Smart drive has worked great. The Honda has always started on one pull. All said I would buy the Honda again.

Looking forward to next season. The lawn should shape up even better next year as I have hired a lawn service mostly because of a loosing battle with crabgrass and nutsedge (neighbors). I had little luck with Halts as I probably should have done two applications this spring instead of the one. Also I plan on cutting lower next year. This year got kind of mixed up as my spring scalp was done with my old LB and following cuts with the new Honda. The cutting heights did not jive....in turn I am cutting higher than I would have liked. I am at 3" now when I should be at 2" or 2.5". This may sound confusing to those who do not have Bermuda grass.

stygz

Threads
Also I have installed a set of the deck guards and really like them. Honda should have offered a front deck guard included with the side deck guard kit.

GregGA

Threads
I also purchased an HRX217VKA last month. I also live in Georgia with Bermuda Grass (and weeds:smile:) The Honda replaced a
Toro 20056 with a Briggs flathead. The Toro had a blade brake clutch(BBC) that developed a cable breaking problem. The cable
had a plastic attachment piece that broke last year. I replaced it($41), and the replacement broke again this year. All I can say is that
plastic should not be used in this application. Also, the on off switch stopped working, and the Briggs was bogging down with the rapid
growth of my lawn with all the rain we have had this year.

After alot of research, I went with a Honda and have no regrets. It is more fuel effecient than the Briggs and has more power. I didn't want a BBC this time: I want one less mechanical thing to go wrong. Keep it simple.

The Honda is a fantastic addition to my other OPE. The attention to detail is outstanding. It is a pleasure to use, and the cut is great.

Oh, Robert@Honda is a great asset to the company and this forum. Thank you Robert for the "I love my Honda" stickers:smile:

Threads
This past spring I replaced my Lawnboy Platinum with a HRX217VKA. After three months of use I thought I would post a couple updates. To start my main problem with the LB was lack of power from the B&S 6.75 tq rated engine. The Honda has not let me down! Lots of power. Anyone with Bermuda grass can tell you it is a challenge to cut. The cut quality is as good as the LB....and that says a lot as I had no issues with the cut. The difference is the Honda does it without breaking a sweat....not so much for the LB though. The deck of the Honda does far better of not collecting clipping and needing to be cleaned. The Smart drive has worked great. The Honda has always started on one pull. All said I would buy the Honda again.

Looking forward to next season. The lawn should shape up even better next year as I have hired a lawn service mostly because of a loosing battle with crabgrass and nutsedge (neighbors). I had little luck with Halts as I probably should have done two applications this spring instead of the one. Also I plan on cutting lower next year. This year got kind of mixed up as my spring scalp was done with my old LB and following cuts with the new Honda. The cutting heights did not jive....in turn I am cutting higher than I would have liked. I am at 3" now when I should be at 2" or 2.5". This may sound confusing to those who do not have Bermuda grass.

Glad you're happy with it! :smile:

Threads
I also purchased an HRX217VKA last month. I also live in Georgia with Bermuda Grass (and weeds:smile:) The Honda replaced a
Toro 20056 with a Briggs flathead. The Toro had a blade brake clutch(BBC) that developed a cable breaking problem. The cable
had a plastic attachment piece that broke last year. I replaced it($41), and the replacement broke again this year. All I can say is that
plastic should not be used in this application. Also, the on off switch stopped working, and the Briggs was bogging down with the rapid
growth of my lawn with all the rain we have had this year.

After alot of research, I went with a Honda and have no regrets. It is more fuel effecient than the Briggs and has more power. I didn't want a BBC this time: I want one less mechanical thing to go wrong. Keep it simple.

The Honda is a fantastic addition to my other OPE. The attention to detail is outstanding. It is a pleasure to use, and the cut is great.

Oh, Robert@Honda is a great asset to the company and this forum. Thank you Robert for the "I love my Honda" stickers:smile:

When I was deciding between the HRX217VKA and the HRX217HYA I, too, was leaning towards the VKA due to the fact less things could go wrong. But I'm glad I decided on the HYA because I love the BBC and haven't had any problems. I am using it on 25 lawns a week now! The VKA is a great machine, though, also!

Threads
Also I have installed a set of the deck guards and really like them. Honda should have offered a front deck guard included with the side deck guard kit.

Yeah they should like on the HRC!

HRC216HXA.jpg

GregGA

Threads
When I was deciding between the HRX217VKA and the HRX217HYA I, too, was leaning towards the VKA due to the fact less things could go wrong. But I'm glad I decided on the HYA because I love the BBC and haven't had any problems. I am using it on 25 lawns a week now! The VKA is a great machine, though, also!

I was gun shy after the Toro, but I enjoyed the BBC when it worked.

Wow, using an HRX commercially. How many hours on it? Any problems?

Threads
I was gun shy after the Toro, but I enjoyed the BBC when it worked.

Wow, using an HRX commercially. How many hours on it? Any problems?

I don't have an hour meter but it has somewhere around 800 hours on it probably. And the only problems I've had were my fault (well except one push nut):