Mower deck Unlevel deck due to possible bent rod

Flash3102

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first time posting here, just joined and I am so glad I found this site!

I have a 50" super bronco and I am having trouble with the deck getting hung up on one side. Every time I would turn or go over a slight hill, the right side of the deck would get stuck up and I would have to kick it to get it back down. It has been getting worse and worse over the last year. I went to investigate and I found that there are these two rods, one on each side, with nuts on them to control (I guess) the depth of cut by controlling the height of the deck. The side that was messed up, I noticed the nut was all the way at the top of the rod and the other was not. I had alot of difficulty screwing the nut back down to where it was on the good side, which let me to believe the threads are bad or the rod is bent. Once I got it down, I adjusted the mower height a couple of times and would push down on the deck on the good side and still had the problem, just not as bad. I could not seem to get the deck equal height on both sides by adjusting that nut and it all had to do with that rod and nut. My conclusion is that the rod is bent up where the threads are and the nut is. Does that sound right? If so, what is that rod called so I can by a new one? I have attached a picture of it here.

Thanks for any help! I love the mower and want to continue to use it, it was bought new from Lowes in 2015.

I meant to add, when you adjust the height of the deck, the rod slides up and down in that holder thing, but it catches up on the threads I believe and thats when I have to kick it to get it back in place. Hope this helps

Leefile-8.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you please post a couple more pics. Set the deck at its lowest level and then give us pics of both sides of the full deck and then close up of the two hangers you are talking about, plus the front hanger. This will give us a better picture of your problem. A pic of non discharge side of the deck set at your cutting height also.

Flash3102

Forum Newbie
Threads
file1-4.jpgfile-9.jpgfile1-4.jpgfile-9.jpg

These two pics are the discharge side, If i attached them correctly, the first one is with the deck normal, then if you step on the nondischarge side, and pop up the other side, the second picture is what it looks like. Once you kick on the discharge side, it pops back down and the nut is flush with the other part. Ill post the others pix in a different post so as to not make it anymore confusing.

**The pix are backwards, the first one is with the discharge side popped up, the second one is normal position.

Flash3102

Forum Newbie
Threads
file-10 (1).jpg

This is the non discharge side

all of these pix should be rotated once clockwise to be seen correctly, they are saved that way but when attached they are sideways

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve misunderstood what I requested. I need pics of the side of the deck, ground level. I need to see how the deck is mounted to the tractor. Please reread my first post. The pics you have provided so far just show us the hangers, we need to see all parts of the deck. Please remember we are not standing next to you. You are our eyes and we need to examine all parts, not just the ones you think are bad.

Flash3102

Forum Newbie
Threads
file.jpgfile1.jpgfile2.jpgfile.jpgfile1.jpgfile2.jpg

I hope these are good enough (and I cant rotate them for you for some reason), sorry it took so long its been a busy time! If I need to get better ones I can.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the pictures you gave us it looks like everything is in good condition and attached properly. Can’t see the front that well but I’m assuming it is correct. Here’s what I suggest you do, may take a while to do, but we have to start somewhere. I’ll make it step by step, if you think you can do it, give it a try.
1. On a smooth level surface drop the deck all the way down, lowest level.
2. On both rear leveling rods, loosen the jam nut all the way up to the lock nut.
3. Now both rods should move freely, the jam nut should not be touching anything and the deck should be on the ground.
4. If the front of the deck is still off the ground loosen the front adjuster nut until the deck is on the ground.
5. Now with your deck height lever, raise the deck to the middle position. Should be about 2”-3”.

Now we need to level the deck, using the blade tips on each side. The tool I made is a 3/8” rod coupler and a 2” bolt. This allows me to reach under the deck and check each blade tip to see if they are the same.

6. Now tighten each jam nut until it just touches the height adjusting collar and then check the blade height on the outside tip of each blade. If they are the same your done, but I doubt it.
7. On the side where the tip is lower, raise the deck by tightening the jam nut on that side. Recheck the blade tips for level.
8. If not level repeat step 7. I try to only make adjustments on one side unless things are way off.
9. Once you have the deck level side to side, turn the discharge blade 90 degrees and check the front to back level.
10. The front tip should be about 1/4” lower than the back tip.
11. To raise or lower the front, loosen or tighten the nut on the front adjuster.
12. When you are done tight the lock nuts on the rear adjusters down on the jam nuts.

Now is the moment of truth, you need to go out and give it a try. If this doesn’t solve your problem I’m sorry to say it’s time to see a mechanic. Good Luck. I’m on vacation for the next ten days, with spotty reception, so might not be able to help you more til I get back, but others are watching this thread and may be able to help you, if you have problems.