Export thread

Unknown tube on H70 7HP

Bassman619

Bassman619

3586043B-71C3-4A22-97A6-EA98C1EAA175.jpeg

Hello, I was hoping someone could tell me what this piece is for. It doesn’t seem to go anywhere. This is my first engine diagnosis so I have no clue

tom3

tom3

Old school crankcase vent tube. Newer engines have this run to the carburetor intake, keeps the EPA happy.

Bassman619

Bassman619

Old school crankcase vent tube. Newer engines have this run to the carburetor intake, keeps the EPA happy.
Ok, thank you very much

B

Born2Mow

You actually want that hose connected up to something. A breather works by reliving the pressure inside the crankcase caused by the piston going up and down. When the piston comes down the pressure is expelled, BUT when the piston goes back up dirt and debris can (and WILL) be sucked into the engine. If you connect the hose to the intake manifold, then you need a one-way valve, commonly called a PCV valve. So the best (cheapest, easiest) connection is between the air filter and the carb. In this way only filtered air can enter the engine.

R

Rivets

That tube was NOT designed to be connected to anything. The cover contains a filter behind the tube to filter the air. It was designed to hang just like you see it.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You actually want that hose connected up to something. A breather works by reliving the pressure inside the crankcase caused by the piston going up and down. When the piston comes down the pressure is expelled, BUT when the piston goes back up dirt and debris can (and WILL) be sucked into the engine. If you connect the hose to the intake manifold, then you need a one-way valve, commonly called a PCV valve. So the best (cheapest, easiest) connection is between the air filter and the carb. In this way only filtered air can enter the engine.
if i remember right there is a reed valve in the breather assembly.
There is also a filter

R

Rivets

Some of the older Tecumseh engines, on the first Snow King engines, did not have a reed valve,

B

Born2Mow

That tube was NOT designed to be connected to anything. The cover contains a filter behind the tube to filter the air. It was designed to hang just like you see it.

And judging by the hours on the engine in the photo, that filter should have been serviced about 3 or 4 times... which is also part of the original design intent.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

It is not really a filter. The crankcase gas being expelled has atomized oil mist in it. The stuff that looks like a filter is there to cause the oil mist to precipitate out and drain back into the crankcase. If the stuff that looks like a filter is not there oil mist will be expelled from the engine.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

full.png

Bassman619

Bassman619

72F90A6E-8B5F-4461-BD73-224E364EA1D4.jpegFE0E670E-F8FE-44AB-9D26-6E075C42EEFC.jpeg
oof, she ain’t looking so hot

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No Sir.
I'd say that tube is the least of your worries now.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have fixed a bunch of those old tecumseh blocks when they blow a rod. I use an aluminum arc welding rod. If you can find a con rod i would fix it and check the govenor. Those old tecumseh engines run forever unless it runs a little too fast.

Bassman619

Bassman619

I have fixed a bunch of those old tecumseh blocks when they blow a rod. I use an aluminum arc welding rod. If you can find a con rod i would fix it and check the govenor. Those old tecumseh engines run forever unless it runs a little too fast.
I found a rebuild kit with gaskets, rod and rings for $80. I’ll be $115 into it if I get that. We were thinking about just JB Welding it

tom3

tom3

I've seen JB Weld on a diesel engine in a semi truck, held up for another million miles I suppose. if the bore and bushings are still true it should work.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

What's the crank journal look like?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Willing to bet the crank is fine. All the ones i have seen with blown rods didn't damage the crank unless it was run without oil.

Bassman619

Bassman619

What's the crank journal look like?
From what I can see it looks ok, the flywheel is proving to be a job. Gives me an excuse to go tool shopping

Bassman619

Bassman619

Would you know where I could get that cheap? They want $6 for it at JD. Or can it be cleaned?

upupandaway

upupandaway

Would you know where I could get that cheap? They want $6 for it at JD. Or can it be cleaned?
I have never cleaned those but yeah, i recall those are plastic fibers so washing them is no problem.

tom3

tom3

Some heat on that flywheel helps sometimes, right at the center around the shaft.