Unable to engage transmission on Craftsman 17.5hp riding lawn mower 917.273180

gonzo7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Unable to engage transmission on Craftsman 17.5hp riding lawn mower 917.273180
I inherited this mower and I'm trying to get it going after it sitting for a while. It seems to be stuck in freewheel mode. I can move the lever and observe it moving at the transaxle but the mower is always in freewheel mode. Even with the lever in the engaged position the mower moves freely like it's in the disengaged position. I have tried the purging transmission steps but that didn't work.

When I was first trying to get the mower to work it was stuck in the engaged position a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn't roll freely when in the disengaged position but it wouldn't move forward when engaged and in gear. From what I read the brakes were locked so I sprayed some WD-40 and worked them a bit and let it sit. Now it rolls freely but it wont engage so I can drive it.

Any ideas would be apprecaited.

gonzo7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Unable to engage transmission on Craftsman 17.5hp riding lawn mower 917.273180
Solved:

When taking apart the wheel to work on the brakes the wheel key didn't make it back in.. LOL. Putting the mower back together properly fixed the latest issue.