Two Stroke, or Four Stroke ?

Two Stroke or Four Stroke ?

• Total voters

turbofiat124

Threads
If you had the option of buying a mower with a Two Stroke engine, or a Four Stroke engine, what would you choose ?

2 Strokes hands down! I wish someone made a 20 to 30 HP vertical shaft 2 stroke engine I could put on my riding mower.

They are lighter, rev up quicker and you don't have to check the oil before using it or change it and have to dispose of it. Mixing it is a bit messy but that's just one disadvantage to it.

What's going to happen when they ban 2 stroke chainsaws? How can you cut a tree down with the blade at a 90 degree angle without seizing the engine? I could possibly see a 4 stroke trimmer (if you don't get too radical say trying to cut honeysuckle vines from a tree over my head like I do) and a leaf blower but that's about it.

I love 2 strokes so much I have a 2 cycle powered car:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant

Yeah I go through A LOT of 2 cycle oil with this baby!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I love 2 strokes so much I have a 2 cycle powered car:

Trabant Photos by turbofiat | Photobucket

Yeah I go through A LOT of 2 cycle oil with this baby!

Those old Trabant's are cute ... but I sure would Not want to be in an area with a Lot of them... Lots of smoke... BUT you don't have to worry much about the body rusting...
I didn't know there were many of them in the States... :smile:KennyV

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Simplicity and great power: the 2 stroke. A shame they cannot clean em up enough. I'd buy a rider in a minute.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will guess you are referring to a much older 2 cycle mower as they have not made a 2 cycle mower in quite a while... So it would depend on the condition of the engine/mower....

New mowers are available in 4 cycle so if I were looking for a new mower, small engine, single blade system... I guess I would look at what was available.... :smile:KennyV
I kinda agree with KennyV in that when I saw this poll my first thought was string trimmer not mower(since there are still 2 & 4 stroke trimmers available but only 4 stroke mowers currently available as far as I know). And the move towards 4-stroke "dominance" is by far an EPA "green" initiative to cut down on the denser emissions from a 2-stroke "burning oil by design". But sadly, "green initiatives" are not always in the consumer's best interest(can you spell ethanol in gasoline:0(
Since we are on the subject, I might mention the 2-stroke 125HP Mercury outboard on my 1999 Sprint Fish & Ski boat. With the trend of new outboards going to 4-strokes I'm just waiting for the "EPA shoe to drop" that will ban my engine requiring me to spend several thousand dollers to replace something that works just fine(it just smokes a little and maybe releases a little oil into our lakes & streams). I voted for the 4-stroke simply because I see the writing on the walls that eventually the EPA will ban all 2-stroke engine applications if nothing is done to stop them. And what that might be.......I don't know!!!