Troy-Bilt TB230 making metal on metal sound

johnmiller92

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long story short: My mom thought the "no oil change" meant no need to add oil. The engine wouldn't start one day and she told me about it and we put some new oil in (it was entirely empty!). When we did, it puffed out a lot of white smoke and eventually starting making a metal on metal sound so I let go of the handle.

The next day: It wouldn't start because it was impossible to pull the cord.

Today, I fiddled around with it.. and started rotating the blades. Every 180 degrees, it's very hard to push the blade, and their is weird squeaky sound emitted from inside the engine. I checked the clearance of the blade (not hitting anything, and the tightness). All clear.

It actually starts up quite easily but that sound gets progressively louder and feels like mower is about to explode, so I just let go of the handle.

I have zero tools, and a complete newbie regarding engines. I'm willing to go on a bit of an adventure to fix this instead of paying $250 though. Any guidance is greatly appreciated

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine is toast and will be unrepairable
So either buy & fit a new engine or get a new mower
Lots of surplus engine dealers with cheap engines

johnmiller92

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is toast and will be unrepairable
So either buy & fit a new engine or get a new mower
Lots of surplus engine dealers with cheap engines
Thanks for the honesty!

Never looked into just getting an engine. If I get the right one (to fit the frame of the TB230, and tools), I theoretically could just swap it in and out?

To be honest, looks like I'll start scanning craiglist or I'll just get a new one. I am treading in uncharted waters here lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A push mower is basically just a Briggs on a bowl.
Most of the engines will swap over provided they do not have fancy dancy blade clutches.
Got to Repower , Small Engine Supplies Ehgines for less or Small Engine Warehouse, they all have apps that allow you to enter your mower details and they throw up a pile of egines that will fit
They also have limited fititng instructions