Troy Bilt Pony will not engage ir Forward or Reverse

SLC-2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Troy Bilt 7 speed Pony from Home Depot in March in upstate NY. At the first attempt to use it in May, it would not move in the forward or reverse position. Two Home Depot employees came to my home and also could not resolve the issue so they replaced the mower for free as it was within the 90 days window of purchasing it. Fast forward to October and I am having the exact same issue with the 2nd mower. I keep the mower in a shed, use it once a week on an average size flat lawn, premium gasoline, 10W 30 oil. Does anyone know if there is a recall on model# 13AB77BS023? It doesn't make sense that the same issue would occur on two brand new mowers. Home Depot is not able to assist as I did not purchase a protection plan. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This looks like the F-N-R selector on the fender and the speed selector on the dash. Now see if this related. You were driving the mower in a higher speed when you pulled into the shed. You moved the direction selector back to N but left the speed selector at the higher speed. You then release the brake/clutch pedal and then turned the mower off. The the next time you got on the mower You pushed the brake/clutch pedal down and started the mower, and moved the speed selector to a slower speed and put the mower in reverse and it wouldn't move. if this is correct then start the mower and and with the direction selector in N put the speed selector at a high gear speed and release the brake/clutch pedal and then push the pedal back down and move the speed selector to a slow speed and then put in either F or R and see if it will move.

What I am describing is the fact that the front drive belt is set for high speed operation at shutdown if the pedal is released with the engine running with the speed selector set for high speed and then shut off, and the next time it is started and the speed selector is moved to a slower speed the belts are synced for high speed operation preventing engagement for low speed. The sequence that I described resyncs the belts for operation.

Last edited:

SLC-2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony will not engage ir Forward or Reverse
ILengine,

Thank you for your prompt thorough, easy to follow and 100% accurate response to my issue. I actually lost sleep over this last night believing I was facing an expensive repair on a new mower.

Although I originally tried adjusting the speed several times upon starting the mower, it may not have been in the order you recommended. I sure hope your suggestion will help others as I reviewed other similar posts. This problem was easily resolved. My stress during these COVID times went from a 10 yesterday to a 0 today. My lawn is mowed, raked and mulched. Mower is now put away for the season. Thank you again for walking me through this issue. Stay safe.

Warm Regards,

Shannon

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am glad I could be of assistance for your issue. This use to be such a common problem that the reset instruction were actually on a sticker under the hood. You could open the hood and read the instructions to reset the drive belts.

Just have to remember to move the speed selector to a slower speed, move the direction selector to N and let the clutch out before turning off the mower.

SLC-2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it! It was probably the same issue with the 1st mower from Home Depot. Even the two employees(men) couldn't figure it out, Lol. This was a huge win for me because of you. Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I hope it helps others too.
Shannon

farmer189436

Forum Newbie
Threads
This looks like the F-N-R selector on the fender and the speed selector on the dash. Now see if this related. You were driving the mower in a higher speed when you pulled into the shed. You moved the direction selector back to N but left the speed selector at the higher speed. You then release the brake/clutch pedal and then turned the mower off. The the next time you got on the mower You pushed the brake/clutch pedal down and started the mower, and moved the speed selector to a slower speed and put the mower in reverse and it wouldn't move. if this is correct then start the mower and and with the direction selector in N put the speed selector at a high gear speed and release the brake/clutch pedal and then push the pedal back down and move the speed selector to a slow speed and then put in either F or R and see if it will move.

What I am describing is the fact that the front drive belt is set for high speed operation at shutdown if the pedal is released with the engine running with the speed selector set for high speed and then shut off, and the next time it is started and the speed selector is moved to a slower speed the belts are synced for high speed operation preventing engagement for low speed. The sequence that I described resyncs the belts for operation.
your a lifesaver my friend thanks