Export thread

Troy bilt hydro lock?

M

morjam401

I need some help. I have a Troy bilt push behind 21" 190cc 6.75. It was turning on fine but over reving. I did a small tune up and changed the oil, plug, and filter. Now it's almost impossible to pull the starter rope. After watching some videos I saw the mention of hydro lock. When I remove the plug the string pulls just fine. I pulled it a few times trying to remove any fluids as suggested but nothing came out. That's one issue. I did somehow manage to get it on once after a good struggle. The rpm's are still super high. There is a bar on top with a spring that I moved manually and the rpm's went down. I'm not sure if the spring lost tension and that is what maintains correct rpm's? It's about 8 years old. Worth saving?

M

MowLife

The arm/rod should go to the governor which controls engine speed under different loads. Check to make sure it is adjusted correctly and any springs are working and present.

M

morjam401

The spring is present and the lever is free moving no tension really. I am not sure how to adjust it? Any ideas on the pull issue/hydro lock? Plug out moves fine, as soon as insert and not even tighten plug it's impossible to pull string.

Attachments

S

SeniorCitizen

Remove the plug wire to determine if it pulls easier.

M

MowLife

You may have internal problem being it’s revving high and not releasing compression correctly. I would pull the valve cover and watch valves opening and closing by spinning motor by hand. You may have a valve stuck closed or a bent pushrod not allowing decompression. This would cause hard starting. The revving is another issue.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You may have internal problem being it’s revving high and not releasing compression correctly. I would pull the valve cover and watch valves opening and closing by spinning motor by hand. You may have a valve stuck closed or a bent pushrod not allowing decompression. This would cause hard starting. The revving is another issue.
x2, very well could be a valve issue.

And it looks like you have a Briggs auto choke engine, here's a video that explains how that works etc. https://youtu.be/YAqVcdZOZE4?t=207