Troubleshoot intermittent start issue?

shoughtonh

Threads
Any guidance appreciated. I have an intermittent start issue on my lazer z xs. What are the points to troubleshoot? Cables, relay, any particular safety switches?, finally starter itself? Preheating of glow plugs seems fine, fan runs, fuel pump runs. Get a click no start when I go to start it up. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all electrical connections by hand for corrosion etc. making sure they are tight & secure. Next remove battery for load test at auto parts store. Post make, year, model, serial #'s from engine & ztr.
See Wiring Schematic page 45 in Manual above.

Last edited:

shoughtonh

Threads
Thanks. 2006 mode year, LXS25KD605, SN 625147, kubota engine sn 5w7092

shoughtonh

Threads
Think I resolved the issue. Battery cables had become a bit loose. Snugged them up and no problems since. Id be curious still about the trouble shooting steps should the issue crop up again and it isnt the cables.

Born2Mow

Threads
Think I resolved the issue. Battery cables had become a bit loose. Snugged them up and no problems since.
Battery cables don't usually come loose. You might want to add that to your maintenance list.

Id be curious still about the trouble shooting steps should the issue crop up again and it isn't the cables.
I check things in this order...
• Check any fuses first
• The seat switch gets more 'action' than any other switch, so check that next.
• Then check battery and battery connections at BOTH ends of BOTH cables. The Negative cable should be tied to the engine housing, not the steel frame of the mower. Expect problems if the larger cable terminates on a rusty frame.
• Then start troubleshooting the starter circuit.

► A dead battery could be unable to accept a charge OR a battery that is receiving no/low charge. The best test for a battery is a "Load Test" after being charged for several hours. Any auto parts store can do a Load Test.
► Motorcycle and car wiring is protected from rain and wash water... mowers not so much. The more you wash your mower, the more you should expect electrical connection and electrical switch issues due to corrosion on the contacts. It is best to treat electrical terminals with an anti-corrosion electrical compound any time you disconnect something to replace or do a test. Such a compound is No-Ox-Id by Sanchem.

Hope this helps.

shoughtonh

Threads
Thanks for the tips. Loose battery cables were entirely my fault to begin with...they didn't just come loose.