Trimmer starts but dies after a few seconds

jesseb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given an old MTD gas trimmer, model number 45RTCDT53C. I was told it was barely used, and it appears to be in very good condition. I am struggling to get it started. I replaced the spark plug, and the fuel & oil are fresh. However, using the electric starter, the ONLY way I have been able to get it to fire is (1) crank for a couple of seconds on full choke, and (2) switch to partial choke. Using that routine, it reliably fires, but then inevitably dies after just a few seconds. After that, it won't start on partial choke or no choke. But if I do the full choke/partial choke routine again, it will fire again for a few more seconds. In other words, the brief cranking on full choke seems to be doing something to allow it to fire and run for a few seconds. Does this provide a clue as to what the problem is and what the fix might be? I assume it has to do with the fuel system/carb, but I am new to small engines and haven't found anything that addresses this exact symptom.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
2009 model 45RTCDT53C (TB539 - 41CDT53C966)

I would start by cleaning the carburetor and installing a carburetor repair kit.

This is a 4 cycle engine. It is a AC3 MTD engine. One thing to note these engines are bad about not oiling properly and; therefore, loses compression from cylinder damage. Personally I don't waste much time on them because of this. The cylinder assembly may not be available anymore but the last track I had of them they were $45.