Export thread

Trimmer Shopping

L

Lloyd_Swartz

I just took back a 9 month old Stihl FS55R that NEVER started for me, flooded every time and left a nice letter to give the thing back to Stihl. Stihl has an epic problem with there new impossible to start carbs. I did plenty of research before throwing away 300.00, but it did not help because the same model # had been given this new carb.

So, I am looking again for a reliable trimmer for mild usage, willing to look at 2cyl or 4. Any suggestions?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Sorry to hear that about any Stihl ! Let us know how the company deals with the problem !

I have the KM90 Kombi head and a few attachments - It ALWAYS starts on the 1st or 2nd pull.

L

Lloyd_Swartz

There is no more dealing, I abandoned the POS at the dealer. I talked to a Stihl tech guy last month when I got up the nerve to try and start it again, and basically they give you the same line about the new carb being hard to start, and being very careful, using specific steps(that rarely work) and once it floods to pull the spark plug, dump all the fuel out of the cylinder, and repeat. Finally the spark plug hole stripped out, because aluminum blocks are not meant for you to keep pulling the plug.

This is the type of design flaw where they put it on you for not knowing how to start power equipment. I am the wrong guy to pull that on after starting at age 11 with a lawn care business, and 16 more years in construction....

Its really crazy. I will let it sit after flooding, and come out later and the fuel tank is half empty with fuel all over the ground. It litterally sypons fuel constantly once you pull the cord. I have been through 3 gallons of fuel and used the thing 3 or 4 times for 20 min. Thats Green for sure :laughing:

L

Lloyd_Swartz

Thinking of trying the Hitachi CG22EASSLP....

L

Lloyd_Swartz

Well I picked up the Hitachi. 7 year warranty is impresive. Intial impressions, not as smooth idling as the Stihl, and vibrates more. Power about the same. But it STARTS! I braced myself against a wall, prepared to pull 100X with all my might and it fired up in two quick pulls :laughing: For some reason it cuts MUCH better and MUCH smoother. I was able to trim around delicate saplings that I would have never done with the Stihl, no idea why. The string lasts longer and does not slip back into the head like the Stihl either. So....lets see how it does long-term. But atleast I can start it.

reddragon

reddragon

that sucks!....i have a stihl fs45 and it is touchy!.. but doesnt quit on me....i fixed a neighbors fs55 and found a bad carb diaphram....that was probably your issue....damn stihl for not providing better customer service!....thats unacceptable!..........well at least you found one that works for you:thumbsup:

L

Lloyd_Swartz

So scared about starting, I fired up the Hitachi again today for some weeds. You can start it with one pull if quick enough with the choke. What a difference. Wonder what Stihl will think when the store hands them a brand new trimmer that the owner thought had 0 value and gave it to them to re-engineer :laughing: (they called me today)

BKBrown

BKBrown

Who called you today ?

L

Lloyd_Swartz

Sorry, the dealer. For some reason the main repair guy came in. I had taken back 5 times prior. Each time they un-flooded it, pulled it 10-50 times and started it. Of course as soon as I get home, no start.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I am personally an old grouch when it comes to getting a company to honor warranty and (defective) equipment. I keep after them by web contact and phone contact until something gets done ----- you should be able to return the unit for a refund or trade it in on a model that will start !

Now that you have another brand, you probably don't need another trimmer.

I'd also mention that you are on this Forum and will keep everyone here informed how Stihl supports their products ! 10 to 50 pulls is NOT what it should take to start a new trimmer.

L

Lloyd_Swartz

Stihl told me I had 7 days to return it. Otherwise they just say I am an idiot because I cant start it. Once we cross into that relm, I switch gears, into letting people know just how bad the products are and costing as many sales as I can. I LOVE it when a company makes it right, and could care less what the problem was down the road. EVERYONE has problems. But when they tell you to pound sand, that burns me for life....We will see what the district sales rep does, but I dont want that thing. The Hitachi starts. :thumbsup:

reddragon

reddragon

tell them you raised hell on the lawn mower forums and everyones going to boycott Stihl !:laughing:

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

Trimmer shopping isn't hard if you do your homework. I've never been a fan of working on stihls. Too much plastic housing and carb issues galore and too heavy for a trimmer. Look into the red max professional line and echo pro lines. (not home depot echo) they aren't as solid as echo pro models. They are just beefed up cheapy trimmers. Two year warranty with echo or red Max and tested in the toughest conditions. Both companies know their stuff and provides valuable info to potential buyers. I own a red max bcz2650s and with routine seasonal maintenance they run like a champ and start on the first or second pull every time.

reddragon

reddragon

yeah.. i was going to suggest echo or husqvarna...but i was aware of the box store variations...glad you chimed in!...you know of any husqvarna variations?

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

reddragon said:
yeah.. i was going to suggest echo or husqvarna...but i was aware of the box store variations...glad you chimed in!...you know of any husqvarna variations?

Husqvarna actually bought out redmax last summer. Red max has the CARB 2012 compliant strato charged engine which is a very clean burning two stroke Husqvarna was in a scramble to meet the new regulations and the end result was the purchase or komatsu zenoah. (RedMax) although in my region the majority of trimmers used are echo stihl and redmax. I'm not too familiar with husqvarna. But I do know the older models of husqy had similar carb issues as stihl.

reddragon

reddragon

10-4..thanks:smile:

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

reddragon said:
10-4..thanks:smile:

No problem. Any two stroke questions I'm your guy! Haha :smile:

L

Lloyd_Swartz

My most recent Echo was not all that impressive, but it was a big box purchase. I also had a big box Echo blower that was not good. A Makita worked well however. The Husqvarana trimmers seem to get mixed reviews, but I am 100% loyal to there chainsaws. Well, lets see what the Hitachi does long-term. If it lives up to reviews and its insane 7 year warranty....then at 200.00 its a hell of a buy.

reddragon

reddragon

thats outstanding!...it shows confidence in they're product

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

Was the warranty for the hitachi for 2 or three years offered by hitachi and the remaining years of the warranty offered by the store you bought it from at an additional cost to you?

L

Lloyd_Swartz

NO, that is the standard warranty, and its even printed in big letters on the box! The Sears guys seemed quite dissapointed because they love selling extended warranties for all the crappy weed eaters they sell. But they obviously dont have a product that goes over 7 years. :thumbsup:

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

Wow. That's pretty impressive. I'm not too familiar with the hitachi trimmers. I'll have to look at one out of curiosity. But you're right sears tries to sell you warranty after warranty on their shitty equipment. After I made a scene in the lawn and garden department trying to get warranty work on my dads trimmer the service dept which is off site junked the unit and tried to sell me another pos. That is when I bought my 370 dollar redmax. The hell with sears ope.

L

Lloyd_Swartz

Hitachi is not a brand I come across alot. But I have used Rotary Hammers in the past, and was impressed with those.

Edwards saw service

Edwards saw service

If I'm not mistaken, I think hitachi ope division is owned by tanaka which back in the day made pretty reliable commercial trimmers chainsaws and leaf blowers.

L

Lloyd_Swartz

I came across that also....

BKBrown

BKBrown

Now there is a Stihl Forum -- It might be good to put this there too so others will not get the models with the bad carbs. ?????

D

djrussell

The Sears guys seemed quite dissapointed because they love selling extended warranties for all the crappy weed eaters they sell.

not all sears lawn and garden departments are commissioned sales but it's likely that they are.

sales commissions are higher on the warranty. more like 10-15% as opposed to 2-5% on the actual item. management really pushes it too. it's one of their big performance metrics. speaking from experience here. :wink:

B

benski

I'll pipe up for the commercial grade Echos. They seem pretty darn bullet-proof.:cool: