Transmission

Poppie51

Threads
Hi, I have a 14.5 hp Craftsman riding lawnmower model 917.270532 that my father in law gave to me years ago. He has since passed away so I want to keep it running even though it's old. The only problem is the transmission seems to be slipping. When the engine is running and the transmission is in any gear the mower doesn't move, it just makes a loud grinding sound. I can turn the pulley on top of the transmission, by hand, while the rear tires are off the ground and the wheels barely turn. While the engine is running and the transmission is in gear the wheels turn but very slowly and can be stopped by hand easily. I've removed the transmission and everything inside looks fine, no broken gears or even any that looks worn. The key in the pulley is fine, not sheared. The gear on the shaft that connects to the drive pulley does have flat spots on the gear near the pulley but I have looked on youtube and that appears to be normal. The gear looks like it was made this way and does not look worn although i'm thinking it should be replaced along with the gear it turns. I have not seen any metal shavings inside the transmission or anything that looks out of the ordinary. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? The mower has ran great for years and without any warning just started making the noise. Any help will be greatly appreciated .Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Find another working Dana or Peerless transaxle and replace the current unit. Parts are no longer available.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scroll down page & see ground drive assy., drive belt & idler pulleys items 38 & 47 may be needed. Bearings inside idler pulleys may be shot & making noise. Remove deck for easy access.

Last edited: